January Transfer Window 21/22

Associate
I'm not a football scout and I'm not going to throw a load of football manager names at you that I've never seen but I fail to believe that there aren't fullbacks at least as good as him for similar or lower fees (relative to their age as £12m for a 31 year old is very expensive). Liverpool signed a 24 year old International fullback (yes he's a left back before somebody says something) for around £12m 18 months ago, who has shown he's at least as good as Trippier and given his age is effectively a lot cheaper. Given the state of finances in most other European Leagues, there should be huge amount of value to be had for PL sides.
Tsimikas looks like a good player, but he didn't make a league start until this season because Liverpool already have one of the best left backs in the league. Teams at the top can afford to be a bit more speculative with their signings than ones struggling at the bottom. I'm sure Newcastle could sign someone who might turn out to be better than trippier, but at least they know what they're getting and he shouldn't need long to bed into the team.

Last edited:
Don
If Newcastle weren't signing a 31 year old mercenary that's leaving one of the leading clubs in Europe to join a relegation battle then I'd have no problem with that arguement. My point is, if you're going to sign a mercenary at least have go for a player at the stage of their career that is less likely to be content with seeing out their career, collecting a big pay cheque. Somebody at the end of their career that's actively taking a downwards step is probably the most likely to do that.

Anyway, I'll stop before I get accused of having a vendetta against Trippier.

Soldato
If Newcastle weren't signing a 31 year old mercenary that's leaving one of the leading clubs in Europe to join a relegation battle then I'd have no problem with that arguement. My point is, if you're going to sign a mercenary at least have go for a player at the stage of their career that is less likely to be content with seeing out their career, collecting a big pay cheque. Somebody at the end of their career that's actively taking a downwards step is probably the most likely to do that.

Anyway, I'll stop before I get accused of having a vendetta against Trippier.
You clearly don’t rate him so we will have to agree to disagree, I still think he is a decent signing given the position Newcastle are in and I guess we will know who was right come the end of the season. If Newcastle stay up and he has played a majority of games to a decent standard then it is 12m well spent the cost of relegation would far outweigh the outgoing.

Soldato
I think Trippier is probably the best that Newcastle could hope to sign and the type of signing they'll be making this window, he's an upgrade on what they currently have, older ex internationals. I understand baz's point but I can't see any younger up and coming player moving to Newcastle given their current league placement. My only 'worry' would be his rumoured wages of 250k. If that's true Newcastle really are asking for trouble, how much will they be paying good players when someone as average as Trippier is getting that much??

Suspended
I think Trippier is probably the best that Newcastle could hope to sign and the type of signing they'll be making this window, he's an upgrade on what they currently have, older ex internationals. I understand baz's point but I can't see any younger up and coming player moving to Newcastle given their current league placement. My only 'worry' would be his rumoured wages of 250k. If that's true Newcastle really are asking for trouble, how much will they be paying good players when someone as average as Trippier is getting that much??
The word coming out from up here is he’s on £150k a week

Soldato
Sky sports and others are reporting 12mil a year plus add ons. Smashing your wage structure for Trippier....good going.

They have to do stuff like that. Signing prospects isn't going to keep them up, and signing seasoned pro's is only going to happen by offering them lots of money. Why would someone like Trippier, who is much better than anyone else they've got at the back join them for a relegation battle, unless they're going to get paid loads?

Don
They have to do stuff like that. Signing prospects isn't going to keep them up...
Is there any evidence to support this or is it something people just say because it sounds right? I can only think of one time a side has gone out and signed expensive aging players in the past to avoid relegation and that was QPR. They went down the seasoned pro's route signing Samba, Remy, Julio Caesar, Bosingwa, Park, Andy Johnson and Rob Green and it went terribly wrong. There problems actually began the season before when they signed another load of old expensive players who were happy to sit on the sidelines collecting their wages.

Teams that are down the bottom and end up avoiding relegation are either your Burnley's of this world that play the percentages and pick up enough draws and the odd win to keep them up or sides that have a goalscorer - a Defoe who will end up scoring 6 in 8 games and win you 3 of your last 5. I fail to see how an attack minded RB is going to be some sort of game changing signing for them.

Looking at the state of the Newcastle side, I'd have thought a CB, CM or a striker would have been a more pressing concern for them. Had they been paying over the odds on a 31 year old forward, in the mold of a Defoe from 5-6 years ago, then I could understand it more.

edit: and why does not signing 31 year olds mean you have to sign 14 year olds? There are players under the age of 31 that aren't considered prospects. Given his age and cost per season, £12m on Trippier is more expensive than throwing £50m at Brighton for Lamptey. Give him £150-200k per week and he'll join and you've got a far better player who you either get 10+ years of service out of or you can sell to Chelsea for a similar fee in 3-4 years time.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's Lamprey done to justify a 50m price tag? Trippier is proven with a wealth of experience and leadership.

I think we all understand what you're saying his wages are astronomical but Newcastle have been in the bottom 3 all season in a relegation battle, there has to be some incentive alongside the long term plan they are trying to sell to players, and that is indeed money. No getting away from it.

Don
What's Lamprey done to justify a 50m price tag? Trippier is proven with a wealth of experience and leadership.

I think we all understand what you're saying his wages are astronomical but Newcastle have been in the bottom 3 all season in a relegation battle, there has to be some incentive alongside the long term plan they are trying to sell to players, and that is indeed money. No getting away from it.
No, you don't understand what I'm saying if that's what you've interpreted.

I appreciate that Newcastle need to pay ott to attract players. My point is that rather than pay ott on an old player, already past his best and going to be finished within 18 months, spend it on a younger, hungrier player. And before somebody says proven or prospect again, that doesn't mean a 15 year old.

Fullback is probably the most physically demanding position in football right now. What are the chances that Trippier will be performing at anything close to the required level by the age of 33? Slim at best. £12m for 18-24 months of a player already in decline is beyond expensive. To put it into perspective, it's the equivalent of spending £60m on a 23 year old. For half that amount I'm sure Newcastle could sign somebody better than Trippier and far less likely to be happy sitting on the bench bloating the wage bill in 18 months time.

What makes it even more ridiculous imo is that a rb will make little difference to their survival hopes. If you're going to pay silly amounts on an old cb or striker, it's at least a bit more understandable.

And re Lamptey, I think he's going to be a star. Had it not been for injury I'm sure Brighton would have been fielding offers for him already. The £50m part was a throwaway comment, just an inflated fee that would persuade them to sell and effectively cheaper than £12m for Trippier.

Soldato
And re Lamptey, I think he's going to be a star. Had it not been for injury I'm sure Brighton would have been fielding offers for him already. The £50m part was a throwaway comment, just an inflated fee that would persuade them to sell and effectively cheaper than £12m for Trippier.
Lamptey seems brilliant from what I’d seen of him before he got injured. Would love him and Bissouma at United, but can’t see that happening!

Don
Yea, Bissouma looks a serious player too. Had it not been for another player leaving for Afcon then I'd have loved him at Liverpool.

Tbf, Newcastle should just spend £50m on Nat Phillips and Origi so Liverpool can buy those two.

Soldato
Yea, Bissouma looks a serious player too. Had it not been for another player leaving for Afcon then I'd have loved him at Liverpool.

Tbf, Newcastle should just spend £50m on Nat Phillips and Origi so Liverpool can buy those two.
No, they’re buying the whole of our squad hopefully! :D

Back
Top Bottom