Poll: Japanese Grand Prix 2017, Suzuka - Race 16/20

Rate the 2017 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
About the only thing I find a little weird is that I expected reliability to be more of a general issue for teams early on this season, a bit like the extreme example of Max until recently, yet Ferrari appear to have more issues recently with both cars.
They're not really a big reliability issues though, more silly failures they probably couldn't even anticipate (except in Kimi's case last weekend); the Sepang failures were the link to the turbo (apparently not a Ferrari part) and Vettel had a spark plug failure today (definitely not a Ferrari part).

All teams can experience these weird unexpected issues - Mercedes had a basic issue with Hamilton's engine in Albert Park in 2014 where a wire was shorting out a cylinder - the problem Ferrari have is that they've all fallen in a short space of time in what might be the one season of the hybrid era where they had chance at the title.

Caporegime
About the only thing I find a little weird is that I expected reliability to be more of a general issue for teams early on this season, a bit like the extreme example of Max until recently, yet Ferrari appear to have more issues recently with both cars.

Another example of a classic race being a yawn-fest in a wide 2017 spec F1 car. The sooner the cars have to be made ultra-narrow, the better (along with other rule changes like more mechanical grip than aero grip).

Earlier on in the season, I can't recall where exactly, Spain maybe, they put a new engine in Vettel's car but then had a turbo issue, so their first move was to put the 3rd turbo into the car rather than run the 2nd turbo. At the end of the season those decisions catch up, it means even if something looks a little wrong, there isn't a spare non penalty getting engine part to throw into the car any more. They can't just go, that looks a little off, just to be safe I'll put the next part in and avoid all issues, instead they can't be conservative.

Thing is all season we thought the consequences of that turbo problem early in the year and getting to the 3rd turbo so early would mean an engine penalty at the end of the season then people are acting like Vettel has been screwed due to engine penalty at Malaysia... but he was like 95% certain to have to start from the back in one of the final 6 races which means nothing really changed when he had to. Today however was bad luck and basically what happened to Hamilton in Australia 2014, one cylinder being gone compromising power so much. outside of literally 1/6th of the power being gone, the timing and smoothness of the engine is just gone so it will behave like way more than 1/6th down on power.

It's a shame but it could have happened in the third race, or the first race, and be chasing the whole way as with Hamilton in 2014.

but as a team...
2010 4th
2011 4th
2012 5th
2013 2nd
oh look one season they were sort of relevant

For someone who pretends to know a lot about F1... you know nothing about F1.

Add in 2009 and 2008

2008 rubbish, but also putting 200-300mil worth of team talent into developing the 2009 car throughout the whole season. 2009 won the title but also had a team budget of about 80mil, lost most of the staff and didn't do any work on a 2009 car.

2010 they were bought by Mercedes... who under Brawn announced a plan to BUILD THE TEAM SLOWLY over time, with their intention from the start always to be at around full strength for towards the end of 2012, have a good team for 2013 and be completely ready for 2014 and the new regulations.

2010 4th ~120mil budget
2011 4th ~ 150mil budget
2012 5th ~ 200mil budget
2013 2nd ~250mil budget.

You're ruining your own argument. A, Mercedes were competitive as soon as the team budget approached those of the teams ahead of them and despite only being at Ferrari/Mclaren/RBR budget during 2013, were 2nd in the championship.

That they were as competitive as they were from 2010 to 2012 with the lacking budget is a testament to what Brawn could achieve and that they immediately moved up to 2nd place the second their budget was on par with the big 3, suggests how competitive they were.... before the v6's.

Soldato
Fell asleep watching the highlights again...tells me all I need to know about the race.

I've been watching F1 since the seventies, and pretty much couldn't care less if I never saw another race in it's current format, along with the crazy driver penalties for manufacturing parts that need replacing.

Sad times.

Caporegime
Another boring race, gave it 4/10. It's been a pretty poor year really.

The first year in ages that it has been more than just a one horse race and you think it is poor? Admittedly, Ferrari imploding in the last three races has now made the result pretty much a forgone conclusion, but before that I thought this season was excellent.

Caporegime
I genuinely feel absolutely gutted for Vettel. As a Merc fan I really do not want to see a championship decided in this way. I actually felt upset as he's a pure bred racing driver and certainly would have given Hamilton a run for his money.

It makes up for all of the race bans he should have received but didn't so I wouldn't say it's denied him a shot at the Championship, I prefer to look at it as karma catching up with him. He's been anything but unlucky this season in terms of the penalties he should have received.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The first year in ages that it has been more than just a one horse race and you think it is poor? Admittedly, Ferrari imploding in the last three races has now made the result pretty much a forgone conclusion, but before that I thought this season was excellent.
The championship standings has been close, but the on track racing has been average as the cars can’t overtake because of the aero changes.

Man of Honour
everyone knew it would happen with the new aero rules.
I kind of hate myself for carrying on watching, but its the only sport I've ever followed and trying to switch the other year didn't work. had hi hopes for Fe but then they changed it and locked down all the technology :rolleyes: and slowed down progress by years.

why can't they sort out the obvious and glaring issues, everyone knows what they are.

Man of Honour

It is the best we have had for a while. Although I do miss having rosberg in the mix.

Soldato
It is the best we have had for a while. Although I do miss having rosberg in the mix.
It depends whether you want a great championship or great races. The championship was interesting, especially as it was between 2 teams, but the races have largely been poor. Not many, if any, of the 2017 events so far will be added to a future poll choice of great races.

Caporegime

I'm glad to see more dogs in the hunt but it doesn't make up for the very low standard of the actual races.

Caporegime
everyone knew it would happen with the new aero rules.
I kind of hate myself for carrying on watching, but its the only sport I've ever followed and trying to switch the other year didn't work. had hi hopes for Fe but then they changed it and locked down all the technology :rolleyes: and slowed down progress by years.

why can't they sort out the obvious and glaring issues, everyone knows what they are.

Me too.
At least I only spend 2 hours per race weekend watching it.
When Hulkenbergs Drs jammed I stopped watching as rest was boring

Only watch last 5 mins of each qualifying and skip through highlights of race depending on what's happening

I much prefer food races. Don't care about wdc etc. Seeing nico and Hamilton was better than this year. Bottas just isn't great in the merc

Back
Top Bottom