Jobs - A little bit about what you do and perks

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Job

I am a Health and Safety Officer.

Company

I work for a company called Pilkington (http://pilkington.com/europe/uk+and+ireland/english/default.htm) which is a global manufacturer and supplier of a range of float glass

Day to day

At the moment I operate in day to day enforcement of company rules and policies, investigate accidents and churn through an endless supply of paperwork. I also provide induction and further training for new starters.

I have been known to assist the quality department with data analysis, as I seem to be the "Excel expert" at our site.

Overall Job

I frequently have to visit different sites throughout the UK as part of my role, however, I don't go overseas (not yet).

Perks

Usual benefits; health insurance, pension and company transport.

I can get almost any range of glass for little or no money, providing I don't sell it on and it's for my immediate family :)

Downsides

Noisy. Hot environments. Generally dangerous environment as our office is on the production floor.

Education?

I did a BSc(Hons) in Sound Technology at University, did some work for the BBC, and Channel 4 and had my own (small) recording studio but finding a full time job was hard to come by so I decided on a more stable career path over free lance work.

Took several courses at the local business college whilst on hiatus. These include;

IOSH Working Safely
IOSH Managing Safely
IOSH Directing Safely
NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
NEBOSH Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management
National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety

Taking these grant me status as a Technical member of IOSH, and bring me one step closer to becoming a chartered fellow.

Currently working toward the NEBOSH National Diploma, and ultimately an affiliated MSc in Occupational Safety, Health and Environmental Management

Do you like your job?

Yup, although I would like to change industries in 4 - 5 years to gain a broader range of experience.

Soldato
Job: Higher Office Based Apprentice
Company: British Telecom

Day to Day: My job is split into two sections really, my operational work and my apprentice work. I work in a service centre most days working on nortel equipment such as the CS1000 and CC6 providing change support to a couple of the main banks.
I also have to do my apprentice work which included an NVQ and a foundation degree (part time). To do this I attend college roughly one week a month following the Uni term time.

Pro's: Get to work with good people, have a great laugh, and for the age of 19 the pay is good and only gets better! I also have a great chance at a brilliant long term career with a big company and will be changing operational jobs over the next 2 years including; change management, service management and project management with an aim to get into one of those roles in years to come.

Con's: I have to travel an hour each way to get to work

Education: I left school with 6 Scottish Highers and went to Uni to study computer science (didnt like it) so i left. I will finish the 3 year apprenticeship with an NVQ level 3 and a foundation degree with the option for further study to get an honours. I will also be able to do some professional qualifications like CCNA.

Pay: i started on £15,150 which isn't amazing money but good for an apprenticeship and I get a minimum wage rise of 10% each year if I meet my milestones and a starting operational wage which is currently set at about 26 grand and will only rise.

Do I like my job? Yes very much :)

Soldato
Job

Kitchen Assistant / Microwave Operative

Company

Yates

Day to day

Suicidal. I work Saturday and Sunday, I go in, become very bored by the rediculously bad chat that happens in the kitchen, then i get very stressed by the amount of tools that come to eat at such a dump, how they want their crap well done steak in 2mins, then I realise Im here for the money only so why am i so stressed, but i cant help it annoying me

Overall Job

Cheap min wage labour, un socialable hours, no chat in the kitchen because its on the 3rd floor of a big building and no windows so I dont know what time of day it is when im there. Its part time whilst im at Uni

Perks

Finishing on a Sunday evening

Downsides

Starting on a Saturday morning

Education?

Currently studying BEng Building Services Engineering, 1st year, already been to Amsterdam on a "field trip"

Do you like your job?

Despise is the correct way of describing how I feel towards it. Not worth the added stress but I literally couldnt afford to be a student if I didnt have an income

Associate
Job

IT Developer

Company

Finance

Overall Job

General software / Application development. at the moment mostly SharePoint / Microsoft CRM.

Day to day

Currently were moving existing portals into Sharepoint this involves loads of customisation and cutting edge SharePoint development.

have flexitime but usually work 8:30 ish till 4 ish

Perks

usual perks really.

hours are easy. if i dont want to work i can just lay low for the day / week.

Downsides

can be frustrating at times banging your head against technical

Education?

no gcse's above d. city & guilds in Business & Administration. BTEC National Computing.

Do you like your job?

pays well enough to allow me and my family to live an ok standard of life (my wife doesnt work as she looks after the kids etc)

cant ever say ive liked any jobs ive done but this one is the best so far though i plan to move on soon enough.

Soldato
We work in the same room :eek:
Indeed. I'm not in the en route centre that often though as my main job is in the East Ops room, round the corner from the TC lot. I get on Central perhaps once a week, which is just about enough to stay current. Which Sector do you sit on?

Man of Honour
Indeed. I'm not in the en route centre that often though as my main job is in the East Ops room, round the corner from the TC lot. I get on Central perhaps once a week, which is just about enough to stay current. Which Sector do you sit on?

Is East not part of the "spiral"?
I do TMA North in TC on red watch.

Soldato
Job

Call Centre Agent

Company

Outsourcer for Sky Digital

Overall Job

Existing Customer Harware Upgrades

Day to day

Explaining the benefits of our products to our customers and then signing most of them up.

Shifts between 9am to 11pm, 7 days a week. (Merde!)

Perks

A pat on the head and a dog biscuit if I've been a good boy. Did get a massage a couple of weeks ago for being top seller on my team but alas....no happy ending. Mind you, I was at my desk at the time and would have probably put the other agents off!

Downsides

I'm sick to the back teeth of ***** customers expecting extra freebies on top of an already good offer and them getting the hump when I say no further discount can be applied...and no, my team leader will not be able to put that discount on for them...and yes, I appreciate they've been a customer for 5 years but hey, my dad's been a customer for nearly twenty and he's not getting it cheaper than them.

Education?

8 gcse's, 2 A-levels, City and Guilds, NVQ's, etc. All a bit pointless because as long as you can read or write and have the gift of the gab then you can do this job.

Do you like your job?

At this moment in time a job's a job. It isn't very well paid, but is the easiest call centre job I've ever had. Will apply for team leader jobs as soon as my probation is up as it's pointless sitting around waiting for things to happen, you've got to grab it.

Soldato
Is East not part of the "spiral"?
I do TMA North in TC on red watch.
Not sure what you mean by "Spiral"? If you mean is it like any of the other sectors in the en route ops room, then yes, in a manner of speaking. We're the same as the other RAF sectors but we just happen to be round the corner from the TC lot in the TC Ops room - this was due to the legacy of the move from West Drayton. They kept the kit identical to the stuff that had been used at WD. East will move into the en route ops room and onto the Sector/LJAO platform in Mar 2010. The East Ops room will then close.

Man of Honour
I don't work in the en-route room, I'm in the TC room :p By Spiral I was referring to your setup of the radar consoles, arranged in a spiral. That's London Mil isn't it? I thought everyone called it the spiral!

Don't get me started on London Mil. Phone up the Allocator and give him all the details, he forwards you to an assistant who you have to give all the details to again who then forwards you to the controller who you have to give all the details to again. By the time we're finished the aircraft involved is long gone :p

Soldato
tbh I can't remember the last time I talked to anyone in TC! You're obviously not speaking to the right people - any Allocator (or Allocator Assistant) worth their salt will get you to the relevant console in a second. The Assistant at that console then has to build a strip on the CERD (which is the worst piece of kit in the world, ever) and that's what takes the time.

LJAO should call themselves London(Mil) too!

If you think we're bad then you've clearly never spoken to a Fighter Controller. They are absolutely unbelieveable - handovers can easily take 60 miles to complete. First you get through to the Master Conroller, the the Fight Marshall, then the Assistant, then the Assistants Dog followed by his cat and finally onto the right Console which for some reason hasn't even been manned even thoug they've been prenoted over 25 minutes ago. Still 'briefing' apparently....

Sounds like you need to speak at little faster ;)

Man of Honour
If you think we're bad then you've clearly never spoken to a Fighter Controller. They are absolutely unbelieveable - handovers can easily take 60 miles to complete. First you get through to the Master Conroller, the the Fight Marshall, then the Assistant, then the Assistants Dog followed by his cat and finally onto the right Console which for some reason hasn't even been manned even thoug they've been prenoted over 25 minutes ago. Still 'briefing' apparently....

Sounds like you need to speak at little faster ;)

Fighter Controllers......are they the ones who pretend to be real air traffic controllers? :D
Anyway I think we've taken this thread far enough off track. Do say hello if you ever spot me though.

Associate
Job

Warehouse Assistant

Company

Wolseley

Day to day

I have to make sure that the Stock gets put away in the correct locations in the warehouse on time. As well as this, i need to make sure parts are not broken and are in fine working order. I also have to make sure the correct parts come into the warehouse. Along with this i need to do 'Stock Transfers' Which is basically providing other branches with Parts they need all over the UK.

Perks
Not bad hours - 7:30 till 4:30. I get to have a break whenever i want. We have an Xbox 360 in the canteen that we can play. I can work at my own pace as long as i get the job done correctly.

Downsides
The amount of stock i have to put away is a lot. Around 300 boxes a day, which i reckon adds up to around £15,000 a day. My Workmate is a ****er.

Education?

7 GCSE's

Do you like your job?
It has its days. Overall, yes. The money is good considering im only 18 years old.

Soldato
Job

Mission Control, booking service calls and sales

Company

Geek Squad, based in Preston.

Day to day

Taking calls relating to anything really, from insurance cancellations (We do Carphone Warehouse's insurance now), sales of policies and one off jobs, booking call-outs to client's home etc.

Overall Job

Made of awesome, general office work plus occasional days at other sites in the future

Perks

Free tea and coffee, free gym, cheap food, nice building (Converted cotton mill), good access and parking

Downsides

People ringing up complaining about things that really aren't our fault, such as failing to make sure money is in their bank for payments we take.

Education?

13.5 GCSE's at C or above, and a Nat Diploma in Systems Support and Cisco Networking. Also CCNA registered network engineer.

Do you like your job?

Love it! :D

Soldato
Job
IT Infrastructure Support

Company
A Large Charity

Day to day
Keeping our IT infrastructure ticking over. Monitoring / Fixing / installing servers. Coming up with ways to improve our systems.

Overall Job
Pretty good. I'm the top techie so can delegate to the juniors meaning i don't have to deal with silly little end user issues. It's not a management role but by boss listens to me so i have a huge say in IT decisions.

Perks
Usual extras (pension etc). Comfortable relaxed working atmosphere - get on well with my boss and my bosses boss and the other people in my team. Don't have to wear a suit. Close to home so easy commute (can walk it in 40mins). As mentioned can pick and choose what projects i want to get involved in. Also there's lots of totty in the office :p.

Downsides
Being the senior when the proverbial his the fan, i'm the one to whom everyone looks. Have to do quite a lot of out of hours work as i'm the only one who knows what needs to be done (although my boss is more than happy for me to keep track of my extra hours myself and take time off in lieu). Money could be better, but in the current climate it's a secure job (afaik) and the perks make up for it.

Education?
Comp Sci degree
Some MS, Cisco and Juniper quals.
Full time geek (ie i study computer stuff for 'fun')

Soldato
Job
Freelance sales / Trader / Nightclub promoting and party organising

Company
Self employed and contract my services to several companies

Day to day
Travel to events where I will help set up the event, register and welcome guests, build a bit of rapport and then close the sales at the end of the presentation / Follow various financial markets, keeping up to date with current trades, maintain positions and keep an eye on potential trades in watch list, on going research / Minor day to day work, collect names of groups to put on my guestlist and perhaps a bit of extra coordination if it's a large group looking for a particular table to book

Overall Job
Excellent, i'm doing everything on a part time basis whilst I have been at university and is earning me a decent wack to enjoy myself. Am one of the top sales people for the company I contract to so I always get work when I need it, trading is very exciting and always keeps you on your toes and the club promoting is enjoyable, my promotions team I had when I was doing just student events was the most successful in central london for those years I was promoting those events.

Perks
Not stuck in an office
Work when I want
Excellent commission
Sent to work all over the UK, Europe and recently the middle east
Travel expenses paid
Food paid
No queueing/Free entry to most exclusive night clubs in London plus massive discounts on tables and also having lovely models around you all the time:D

Downsides
Catching trains, flights
Company politics etc.
Some days can be quite long
If i'm not working that day i'm not earning

Education?
12 x GSCE's A's/B's
3 A Levels ABC
BSc at UCL 2.1
MSc at LSE currently studying

Do you like your job?
Love it, like the people, no paperwork to deal with, work in some cracking locations, good social aspects/networking, work when I want and also earn more money than all my mates who are working in the city!

Associate

Update from my last post.

Job

God Knows

Company

Prefer not to say

Day to day

Normally I get in about 8:15-8:30 and check all the servers are up and running. Then its a case of fixing any problems that may of occurred during the night or on-going faults.

However 95% of the time now I'm messing about spreadsheets and doing Vlookups for people. Or I'm changing prices or adding new stock codes in SAP.

Overall Job

Well before I classed myself an IT techie, but now I see this role as an Office Administrator.

Perks

:(

Downsides

Although I only live about 12 miles away from work, I spent around 2 hours each day getting to/from work.

Been pushed to do a job I really don't want to do. Not been asked about it tbh, was just a case of them saying do it.

Education?

9 GCSEs
BTEC National Diploma for IT Practitioners
HND in Internet Technology

Do you like your job?

No can't stand the place and I'm looking at getting out.

Back
Top Bottom