Jobs - A little bit about what you do and perks

Associate
JOB

Trainee Quanity Surveyor

DAY TO DAY

In at 9, finish at 5:30. Measurement, valuations, preparing/issuing tenders and general dogs body to the senior QSs

OVERALL JOB

Pretty good, work in a small office of 9. They pay for me to continue studying so really i can't complain. Enjoy the work.

PERKS

Free soft drinks and sponsership for education

DOWNSIDES

Some tasks are more boring than others, contracts *groan*

EDUCATION

9 GCSE's
3 A Levels
HND in construction
Currently doing Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management at UWE part time.

DO YOU LIKE YOUR JOB

Yes

Soldato
Job

Fireman (or if you want to be PC, Firefighter)

Company

Fire Service

Day to day

Anything from small fires, BIG fires, floods, chemical spills, RTA's and cats rescued from trees. It's varied.

Overall Job

Looking after the public and their property.

Perks

Pension and shift system. Camaraderie within the shift. Driving through rush-hour traffic with blue lights and sirens wailing. Great fun.

Downsides

Public apathy, people just don't seem to respect what we do until they need us.

Education?

4 O'Grades (remember them?)
HNC Joinery
Diploma in Building Science.

Do you like your job?

Sure do although Health and Safety are slowly ruining it.

Associate
Job
Contracted IT Manager

Company
Prefer not to say

Overall Job
Look after a companies IT infrastructure, inc about 8 servers and 85 users. I do the whole scale of IT work, from replacing printer toners to implementing new servers and getting involved with projects. I'm the sole IT guy, so everything comes my way..

Perks
Experience, a good foundation to my IT career considering I'm only 22 and graduated last year. Expenses being paid to take two Microsoft Certified IT Professional courses.

Downsides
End users, some tedious tasks

Education?
BSc Computing and networks

Do you like your job?
It's extremely varied, but on the whole I enjoy it.

Soldato
ATC Stuff
This, but on a much much smaller scale.

Job
Operations Manager / ATC

Company
Henlow Flying Club

Overall Job
Control all aircraft in the local area, be it either Take-off, landing or passing overhead. I also do a fair bit of Admin work, dealing with customers, instructors, the RAF, the police and any technical hitch that befals us

Perks
Very relaxed atmosphere, get to watch the sunrise and sunset everyday, regardless of what time they are from the tower. Talking to the pilots is also pretty damn cool.

Downsides
The hours, unlike Scuzi, I don't do shifts, I work 8am to sunset. In the winter it's ok as the day is only 8-4, but i'm currently doing 8-6, and in the summer, the days could even stretch to 9pm. Also having to give up control to the RAF whenever they want to do some flying of their gliders :(

Education?
Couple of A levels and GCSE's, but nothing major.

Do you like your job?
I love it, yes it has long hours, but the people i've met have been awesome, and it's a damn cool job. I've even met Red 1, that was a good day.

Associate
Job

I am a Senior Town Planner

Company

I work for a Local Authority in North Kent

Day to day

I deal with a range of planning applications, pre application enquires, appeals and training the plebs below me.

Overall Job

I do around 7/8 site visits a week and do a lot of on site and in office meetings with developers and other departments within the Council. I also have to deal with the public on the phone/e-mail and their comments towards planning applications.

Perks

I get 27 days Leave + 12 flexy days, and can work from home (like I am today) and my hours in the office are flexible, i have my own case load and jut left to get on with it. Also the pay is extremely good, I have been with the Council under 3 years and moved up from a assistant to Senior Planner and will be on 40k before I hit 30. I also get a company car, 135 private fuel allowance, 40p a mile site visits, and a choice of training all paid through work. Oh and a final salary pension.

Downsides

Dealing with Councillors, being on site in the rain and management in Local Authorities is never great

Education?

I did my degree in Industrial Archaeology and then did a Masters in Town & Country Planning at Bristol. I will also be applying for chartered status with the Royal Town Planning Institute this year.

Do you like your job?

Yup I love it.

Borich

Associate
Job
International Supply Chain Analyst

Company
Major UK retailer

Overall Job
Help build analytical capability in the 14 countries that the company is in so that the supply chain (the ordering system in particular) is as efficient as possible

Perks
First class flights. Company credit card. Blackberry. 20% discount card. Good pension scheme.

Downsides
Probably the commute

Education?
BSc Economic History, LSE

Do you like your job?
Yes

Soldato
Job

Systems engineer

Company

MBDA

Job description

System modelling in Rhapsody, attempting to create an executable model

Perks

Flexi-time, final-salary pension scheme, decent wage (for a graduate job), 15min walk from my house

Downsides

Moral ambiguity in helping create deadly weapons (worried some random is going to see my MBDA card and yell "BABY KILLER" at me)

Education

2:2 in mathematics from Warwick

I like?

Oh yeah! :D

Soldato
A little update: since the recession hit I am now reduced from CADmonkey to the lowest common denominator in order to have some money coming in to pay the bills....

Job

Warehouse operative (temp agy Ranstad)

Company

Pepsico/walkers

Job description

stacking boxes of crisps and dips on pallets for loading onto lorries.

Perks

free crisps woooo (on site only)

Downsides

hours (over 2 weeks rotating shift): 6am-2pm monday to thursday, 6am-6pm friday. Saturday off, sunday 6am-6pm, monday-thursday 2pm-10pm, friday saturday sunday off. Start all over again.
pay: £6ph, compared to my last temp CAD job I was getting £11ph plus expenses this has been a significant reduction in my income.

Education

same as my post on p4 of this thread

Do I like my job?

no, absolutely and categorically no... I've had a few rubbish jobs over the years, but this has to be the single worst and most soul destroying job that anyone with more than .5 of a braincell can suffer.
All in all it feels like I have turned the clock back about 10 years, or thereabouts. All the hard work and effort my other half and I have put into making a life for ourselves has been swallowed up by a debt problem that was not ours to begin with. :mad:
Lets hear a round of applause for the government and the financial/banking industry.... thought not.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a pretty decent graduate salary! Just wished process/chemical engineering paid that much, the most I've seen is about 35k before tax from BP/Exxon. Guess most of the money is in drilling/extraction. Do you know any graduate chemical engineers through your company?

Are you mad? If youre a process engineer in the O&G industry you will be making more money than any other engineer. In my company (oil, gas, petrochem, pharma eng contractors) I have process eng friends who are now chartered earning £60-£100 an hour.

Soldato
1st / 2nd line support for ePos systems

Company

I work for an IT company who provide IT solutions for Retailers.

Day to day

Lately we have just gained a big new client and I have been training all our new starters up to be able to support them, as well as taking all the support calls which come through, and providing 1st and 2nd line on their Till system.

Perks

Learning new things about ePos systems which I never knew. Also, wages are OK.

Downsides

Mixed shift times, few days late, few days early starts, 7 day weeks.

Education?

GNVQ, GCSEs, 3 Diplomas

Do you like your job?

Yes. Actually enjoy coming to work.

Soldato
Job

RF (radio frequency) design engineer

Company

Contracting under my own company

Job description

Design circuit boards for AESA airborne radar

Perks

Work a 4 day week and have greater work flexibility

Downsides

Can be a bit of a drag having to fly up to Scotland and back every week

Education

MEng from the University of Bath

I like?

Definately, getting to work at the pointy end of high value leading edge technology

Associate
Job

Account Manager - South West of England

Company

EMC The worlds market leader in Information Infrastructure, we also own a little company called VMware

www.emc.com

Job description

Drive existing business and generate new business through the channel using partners

Perks

Private Healthcare, Pension, Dental, Gym Membership, Discounted fuel

Downsides

High pressure environment to deliver

Education

Business Enterprise 2:1 from Portsmouth University

I like?

Having graduated last year and managed to get myself this job, I love it. Pay is way above what I thought I'd get after finishing university and I run my territory how I like so I have a good amount of independence on how I plan my days and weeks. Also I have a big personal interest in IT so this job suits me perfectly.

Associate
Student perks: Loads of free time, learning interesting stuff, good nights out, discounts, cheap gym membership, loads of societies/clubs.
RAF Regiment reserve perks: Good money, interesting/exciting work, paid adventure training i.e. Parachuting/kayaking/gliding/mountaineering etc, subsidised travel, flexible training, dental/healthcare, free gym, loads of clubs.

Caporegime
Job

Health Procurement

Company

I work for the largest District Health Board in New Zealand and work with clinical and non-clinical staff to tender for, evaluate and award all hospital contracts of $100k or more per year. I have a team who help me deal with this.

Day to day

Supplier relationship management, contract management, legal input to contractual concerns, undertaking new procurement pieces of work, engaging with (typically irate) clinicians.

Overall Job

Mainly NZ based but visits to Aus and Asia are fairly frequent.

Perks

Flexi time, life insurance, health insurance, free parking ($100 a month, yo!), strong pension

Downsides

If I went back to the private sector I could earn approx 20% more than I currently do. I probably will at some stage but I'm enjoying this too much at the moment and even more money is not a major factor right now.

Education?

Commerce degree from Edinburgh Uni, CIPS, MCIPS

Do you like your job?

I do. I help those who keep people alive/suffer less make better use of their limited budgets, whether that is buying fancier, better kit or simply more of the same thing. My team are fantastic individuals and work together tremendously well and I am extremely proud of what we do, who we are and the service we provide.

Associate
Job

M&A Analyst

Company

Major investment bank

Day to day

Write reports no one reads and then bins. Oh and do this 8am --> Midnight every day (minimum). Half your weekends disappear as well.

Overall Job

Haven't started yet and regretting decision to take it already

Perks

You never have relationship problems because you don't have time for any. You get paid approximately the same per hour as if you were on the tills in Sainsbury's.

Downsides

The hours are so long that, not only do they eliminate your social life, they prevent you from getting enough sleep.

Education?

Just about to take my last exam for my MEng at Oxford.

Do you like your job?

Only done a ten week internship but I'm going to say no.

Soldato
Job

Private Hire Owner and Operator registered in the Glasgow city council region

Company

Self employed but i rent radios from Glasgow Private hire so do a lot of work through them

Day to day

day to day i generally cover a lot of contract work with both glasgow social work dept and gcc educational. other than that its general taxi fares in and around the glasgow region

Overall Job

overall its an easy life, no stress no hassle and your your own boss

Perks

spend my days/nights tootling round Glasgow radio on and getting paid decent money for doing so. I meet the most interesting people and you certainly end up with a new appreciation for life and its diversity doing this job, i've picked up everyone from drunken footballers to transgendered prostitutes and even a few ocuk members

Downsides

you hear that many stories of taxi/phc drivers being attacked/robbed. thankfully in the 4 1/2 years i've been in the game i've never had so much as a cross word with a passenger, but its always at the back of your mind.

paperwork can be a killer as well, especially if you run more than 1 vehicle. keeping track of drivers council inspections and licences is a bit of a pain especially as something as simple as a missed deadline could lead you to loosing both operator and driver licences. for example if your a day late filing for a plate renewal you could potentially see a car and driver(s) off the road for up to 4 months

apart from above the biggest downside is that i have to spend my day in a vauxhall vectra :( this particular car is due for replacement on 6th March 2013 personally i can see me spending the extra and getting something a bit nicer :)

this is my personal chariot

vec1.jpg

vec2.jpg

a slightly tweaked vectra cdti 150 elite.

uprated brakes were a personal choice but the police spec topmounts and sumpguard are a must for working on the rubbish roads that Glasgow has
DSC00259.jpg

a steel sumpguard- this ones currently residing on our skoda :)
DSC00232.jpg

top spec (for a vectra) the high spec extras and comforts are a must when you can spend anythign up to 14-16 hours a day in the car

Education?

me personally 5 highers and 7 standard grades but to do the job nothing is required. not even a decent local knowledge it seems

Do you like your job?

well yes, its the flexibility that makes if for me for example, decided i fancied a half day today so i came home. and if you need the cash the earning potential is unlimited. you can work what you want and therefore make what you want. obviously your costs are a fixed rate for teh majority so if you say work 40 hours a week and make a decent wage, if you slip another 40 hours overtime in its pure profit bar your fuel and a few extra quid in the maintenance costs

Back
Top Bottom