Jobs - A little bit about what you do and perks

Job: Telephony Analyst and Correspondence System Administrator

Company: Same one, still prefer not to say, been with them 7 years now!

Day to day: Administration of the email/letter system used across our 3 sites, design and change implementation of IVR and Telephony systems, reporting and analysis on all of the above, and providing project resource for anything that involves the above.

Overall job: Basically to ensure that all forms of customer contact work efficiently, and reporting on them.

Perks: Employee discounts, associate company discounts, company matched health insurance scheme, birthday counts as an additional holiday.

Downsides: Periods of inactivity, no defined career progression.

Education: A levels and a diploma in programming which I haven't used in 6 years.

Do you like your job: Loving it now! Earning 25% more than I was in 2008, new manager is awesome, colleagues are brilliant, and work is varied enough to keep me from getting sick of repetition.

Updated!

Job: Healthcare Assistant
Where: on a Haematology ward in a hospital
Day to Day: I look after very poorly people helping them to wash and with their meals and drinks I also check vital signs (bp pulse sats temperature resps) oh i forgot lots of paperwork and form filling sigh!
Perks: Making someone feel better and looking after them.
Downfalls: losing a patient (dying)
Education: Health and social care NVQ and GCSE`s
Do you like your job: I absolutely love my job!

Job

Not really a Job description that fits the job but you can deduct what you want from below.

Company

I work for a Vintage car company that's run by my Uncle. He deals in mainly Pre war vintage Rolls Royce's and Bentleys.

Day to day

Anything can really happen, I do a lot of moving cars around between premises of ours, showing to customers, basic maintenance, visiting customers, delivering/picking up cars, looking for cars to buy, general upkeep of our premises etc etc

Overall Job

My work can see me travel to some 'lovely' places but it is always to work, so far in the past year I have been to Egypt, Malta, Cyprus and Almeria, it can see me working on very different projects as we deal mainly with subsea problems it is normally ROV based or if it is shallow Diver based.

Perks

I get to drive many cars that people never get the chance to drive quite often by myself so I can have some fun and at the age of 19 it's a damn good job, The most amazing car I've driven is probably a McLaren SLR or a Lamboghini Murchilago (I know it's probably spelt wrong)

I'm provided with a company car, which is basically anything I choose to drive around that's not been purchased and awaiting delivery.
All my fuel and expenses are paid for and I regularly get lunch/dinner out.
I have free accommodation and my 'commute to the office' is all of a 10 second walk outside and round the corner.

Downsides

Days are long and unexpected things have a habit of rearing there heads at the most awkward times, for example today I started at 7Am and didn't get back till 10pm, its a regular occurance.
Another time I had to leave at 3am to drive up to scotland and didn't get home until midnight.
There isn't really much to complain about except the long days, I suppose that's a good thing.

Do you like your job?

I absolutely love my job I get to drive so many great cars and see many different interesting types that own the older cars, it really is a unique job that I think I won't ever find anything quite like.

I've been posting in a thread about some of the cars I've been dealing with, please feel free to take a look and reply!

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18323685

job: infranty man

company: britsh army

day to day: training atm just finished my 28 weeks basic going on first tour in 3 months in greece for climate training

overall job: making the world a safer place

perks: good health care and cheap living and traveling around the world

downsides: good chance of getting shot/killed i spose

do you like your job: i love it best job i have ever had and gets you many new close mates

Job

Director of a Healthcare company

Company

Day to day

I look after the busisess side of things so I make sure we get paid. I pay people and that we comply with relative legislation and contracts we have with social services

Overall Job

My work can be what I make of it sometimes you just have to knuckle down and put the hours in other day I turn up late and go home early.

Perks
All my pc's and laptops are provided and upgraded when I feel like it. being my own boss. Get to eat my lunch in the kitche:)

Downsides

On call 24\7\365 days a week. As of yet I have not had any time of work this untill this week and this week I am looking after the kids. Contract time, If I dont het a new contract awarded on the 10th of next month thats 10 folk lose their job and I lose 25% of our business.

Education?
left school with a levels and went straight in the family businesses which have been farms, bars, pubs, buy to lets, skip hire, care homes and home care.

Do you like your job?
Yes and no, sometimes I wonder if it is worth it the financial rewards compared to the risk is somtimes not enough.

Job
Developer for a SAP partner

Day to day
Coding, gui designing, client meetings, internal meetings, general SAP tasks for clients

Overall job
Using expensive software for bluechip industries where nothing is straight forward but I enjoy a challenge. Building internal and external programs. Great industry

Perks
Big spec PC and 2x 24" widescreens, lots of travel and good company to work for, work nights out, xmas party's and training events.
Able to work from home

Downsides
Can be long hours and very demanding

Education
BEng Software Engineering

Do you like your job
Yes. Small company with big influence and power

Job
Truck driver (artics)

Day to day
I trundle to the same place every day to deliver and collect so I know the folks at the depot quite while.

Overall job
An easy relaxing job, but can be long hours, I work for an agency and would prefer a permanent job. Although I may be one of the few agency workers who has the same truck every day and nobody else drives it.

Perks
Big fat legally required breaks and lots of waiting time mean plenty of time to do my own thing.

Downsides
Currently an agency job.

Education
I am a dunce, some 'O' Levels (GCSE level to you youngsters)

Do you like your job
Yes, wish I had discovered it earlier.

:)

Job
Technical advisor for a large TV, Broadband and Landline supplier.

Day to day
Drive to work (10 minutes! :)) die a little as I walk through the door, sign on, hit the button, get some 'my broadband is really slow' when they're getting 10 meg+.

Overall job
it's not so bad, but when youg et the 'I'm on the 20 meg package but 5km from the exchange' customers it's difficult, same with dealing with the other departments and other staff who tell lies, do it wrong or spout rubbish when they don't know rather than admit it or ask for clarification.

Perks
Free TV and broadband. only pay for Line rental. Discounts at a lot fo other stores and shops as well.

Downsides
Hours. Currently 1-9 which I don't like, very few options for advancement.

Education
Mixture of O levels, Standard grades and highers. SVQ gained through work.

Do you like your job
No. I want to change and do something else but I doubt I'd get the perks and wage I do now having been here for 5 years and got a rise every year.

Job: Technical Lead (3rd line apps support)
Company: Food retail, employs over 8k.

Day to day: Dealing with incidents & problems for software, generally looking for automations, simplifications etc to implement with the current suite of apps I look after. Working on projects implementing new systems.

Overall job: I'm ultimately responsible for all the main software head-office support teams use, such as HR/Payroll, ERP & other financial, IT Helpdesk applications.

Perks: Staff discount in our stores, although there are literally no stores within a 10-mile radius of Head Office, lol.

Downside: Not much advancement apart from going into Management.

Education: Up to A-Level

Do you like your job: It's OK. I preferred the wages from when I was contracting but I get to work with some great people.

Job

Full Time: E&U (Emergency and Urgent) Ambulance Dispatcher
Bank: PTS Driver/Attendent
Voluntary: Community First Responder - Coordinator for Norton, Burntwood and Brownhills area.

Company

West Midlands Ambualnce Service

Day to day

In my day to day roll I quite often act up to Control Manager (Or 'Controller') where I have overall responsibility for one of 3 divisions (Herefordshire, Worcestershire or Shropshire) where I have the role of mobilising Emergency Vehicles to 999 calls as well as Urgenet None Blue light contracts.

This involves working using the Services Computer Aided Dispatch System (CAD) and mobilising resources as per current protocal, whilst at the same time maintaining cover in key areas as per the System Status PLan (SSP) which is based on a model of prediction of where it's most likley Emergencies will come in based on previous patterns. This requires knowledge of areas (I.E. Layout of areas, location of Stations and Stand-Bys etc) This is used in tandum with the Ambulance Services Airwave Tetra radio which is used to contact resources.

As controller overall resonsibility falls on me for the above as well as making sure all 9s have correct resourcing (I.E. a Patient in Cardiac Arrest requires the nearest 2 responses, one of which must be an ALS I.E a Paramedic and the other a conveying resource) as well as day to day manning, ensuring that all resources under my area are present on the CAD and are ready for duty at shift commencement.

PTS: Mainly involves Discharges from Heartlands Hospital and interhospital transfers on a non-emergency Ambulance

CFR: This is the fun bit for me. I see this more as a hobby :) as a Community Responder I go out to Emergency Calls on a voluntary basis for the service in a marked (ANd soon to be Blue Lighted vehicle) and provide often life saving assistance untill a WMAS Resource can arrive on scene. I've done the works as a CFR, CPR, Stabbings the lot! I get a lot of gratification from it.

As coordinator for my area, i'm responsible for overall running of the group, I currently have 4 other Responders who rotate to provide cover as much as possible. I have other senior members, one who deputises for me in my absense as well as a Fundraising Lead and Treasurer.

We also have a fully liveried Ambulance Rapid Response vehicle which we are raising £2,380 to get blue lighted as well as get everyone off to train to drive on Blue Lights and Sirens to 999 calls.

Perks

WMAS gets a lot of benefits via Unison, also my Advanced driving gets me an insurance discount when I qualify as a Response Driver. (Neeee naw!)

Genuinley saving peoples lives :)

Downsides

Can be very emotional, i've had jobs where i've worked my arse off and patients have still died, unfortunatley it's an inevitability in this line of work. But in the same respect you can be happy you've done everything possible.

Education?

I trained to become a Nursery Nurse! but I hold numerous GCSEs and also a couple of NVQs. One of which trains you for the role as a CFR.

I am also commencing Advanced Driver Training through IAM and then onto a 3 day Blue Light course.

Do you like your job?

Love it. :)

Last edited:
I'll complete this although I've just left my job (earlier this month) after just short of 38 years service.

Job

ICT Manager

Company

Royal Air Force

Day to day

Direct supervision of a team of ICT Technicians who provide support and maintenance to a huge variety of Information & Communication Systems and equipments. Extensive range; from hand-held management radios, the base IT network through airfield navigational aids to heavy Radar. Also had to deal with the usual admin niff naff (shift rota's, allocation of duties etc) and the welfare of the guys on the Sqn.

Perks

Medical and Dental provision. Excellent pension scheme (which I will now reap the benefit of). Opportunities for travel, sport and for those that want it, adventure training and outward bound type activities (although this seems to have taken a hit in recent years due to the financial climate). Excellent educational support for those that want to further their personal development. Working alongside a throughly professional and dedicated buch of people (this I will miss).

Downsides

Short notice, non established tasks. Have to be ready to deploy, anywhere at very short notice. In recent years overstretch has taken it's toll, constantly having to try and achieve more with less and less (manpower, equipment and support).

Education?

I joined with just a couple of O levels straight from school. Have gathered lots of military qualifications, many of which won't map across into civvy street. However, firmly believe that employers recognise the value of ex-military personnel and the transferable skills they have accumulated throughout their service careers.

Do you like your job?

Loved every minute of the first thirty years or so. As I climbed higher in the chain of command, I began to see things which I was shielded from previously. I was ready to leave when I did as it was becoming increasingly frustrating seeing the constant cuts, downsizing and contracting out of various key functions.

Bit of a self plug...........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-21003372

The big red and yellow (subsea manifold) thing is what I am currently in charge of designing and installing :)

Not too bad at 200tonnes :)

KaHn

Nice work
icon14.gif

Is it more of a management role or a traditional engineering role?

Nice work
icon14.gif

Is it more of a management role or a traditional engineering role?

I'm the snr structural engineer on this, basically all the reports, drawings and fabrication stuff are in my name :)

Theres a project manager who deals with the managerial roll stuff and schedule.

Don't mess this one up :p

I know one of the BP guys working on this too, although hes off to Korea soon

Ah going to visit the FPSO? If hes based in Aberdeen he might be in my building, either that or up at dyce.

KaHn

Hes based in London at moment but hes going out to Korea for a year on rotation. 4 weeks UK, 8 Abroad I think. He's a rotating equipment engineer

Job

Premier Field Engineer (System Center)

Company

Microsoft

Day to day

Providing consultancy and support for System Center products, particularly Configuration Manager, to Microsoft Premier Customers

Perks

Work for Microsoft... :-) Work with a large range of customers with typically huge infrastructures and interesting projects, get all the latest toys to play with, loads of freedom to play and learn what I want, great offices, surrounded by clever people who are always willing to help, plenty of travel, get to speak at conferences on technology that I love (hoping to present @ MMS this year)

Downsides

Could earn more working in the city. High expectation to learn and keep on top of things.

Education?

BSc Hons in Business Information Systems

Do you like your job?

Love it.

Job

Advertising sales exec

Company

Trinity Mirror Group

Day to day

I handle recruitment advertising for all of our regional publications in Manchester, South Wales, and London, so my phone goes off the hook for the first three days of the week where I'll sell maybe 30k worth of advertising on a good week. This is everyone from Dave the Builder looking for a cheap ad for brickies to the AA running a massive recruitment drive. Big sales are a huge buzz, but there are deadlines to get them in for and there is insane stress in those first few days when you don't have any time. Thursday and Friday are pretty laid back and I usually chase people I quoted earlier in the week. The office is very friendly so there's always good banter going back and forth all day.

Overall Job

The actual job is pretty repetitive, but if you are competitive you'll enjoy taking large sums of money for little pieces of paper.

Perks
Pool table, penthouse office, achievable 10k bonus scheme, free glasses, pension scheme

Downsides
Stressful at peak periods, slow progression, repetitive, always at a desk.

Education?
2:1 in a BA Sociology

Do you like your job?

I like the people, the place and the money, but not the job.

Back
Top Bottom