Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

You don't think the entire situation is damaging enough for Qatar and fifa that it needs a retired footballer to disassociate himself for the government and governing body to take note? Mate, give over.
You're describing him as "a retired footballer" when the post you quoted clearly elaborated on the reasons why his selection is relevant for this protest/campaign. I've communicated in good faith with you, but you're at the point of trolling now therefore I'm not responding to you any further.

• Haha
Reactions: NVP
You're describing him as "a retired footballer" when the post you quoted clearly elaborated on the reasons why his selection is relevant for this protest/campaign. I've communicated in good faith with you, but you're at the point of trolling now therefore I'm not responding to you any further.
The association he has to this 'campaign' is neither here nor there. His pulling out will have no influence on the situation as you seem to suggest, and you don't appear to want to elaborate further... I wonder why.

Last edited:
Because maybe just maybe I have principles. Something a lot of people lack these days.
Why would I want to go to a country that’s stupidly hot, has no real culture to speak of…I have friends who have lived out there and they have said the same. Why would I go exactly?? To a country that is hellbent on oppressing a certain group of people and don’t give a flying **** about peoples well being??
What does this have to do with the restauranteur that will serve you dinner and you may have a very interesting conversation with and exchange of ideas?

Everyone criticising is unable to form a disconnect between the people and government which is part of the problem.

And you haven't set foot in the place either.

Always amazes me how people can cricitse a place they've never been to!

Last edited:
All this "campaign" is for is to allow a bunch of people to either virtue signal or to show outrage because there are certain people in society who cannot exist without being outraged about something at all times... It's like breathing to them - needed to survive or they face away into obscurity

This is just the current outrage event since things like fox hunting, BLM, slavery statues and the ilk have frittered away.... Once the WC is over, there will be a new "outrage" for them to suckle on for sustenance and we all start again.

You don't think people should be outraged at people being put in prison for up to 7 years, or possibly even sentenced to death for being gay in 2022?

You don't think people should be outraged at people being put in prison for up to 7 years, or possibly even sentenced to death for being gay in 2022?

And there we are... If I'm not overtly against it then I must support them. Total crap argument.

I, and a lot of people on here, have already said that the time for the current style of protestsamd outrage is in the past. The correct way for all these outraged football teams and personalities was before it was awarded or even after it was awarded by, for example; England, Wales and other countries to abstain from the tournament and just not go.

To try and protest something that is round the corner and has no chance of being impacted is just paying lip service so some people can say "I was against that, look at me, I'm so woke"

Would English football fans support their team in removing themselves from the competition or does the "football's coming home" argument trump all the self-righteousness?

To try and protest something that is round the corner and has no chance of being impacted is just paying lip service so some people can say "I was against that, look at me, I'm so woke"

A couple of examples of the lip service is wearing an armband with rainbow colours, changing the flight/aircraft details to include PRD or Rainbow.

It allows the companies and people involved to virtue signal whilst not impacting their top line as they will still provide the service.

When did i say that?

Do you honestly think I believe people shouldn't be outraged? Their method of gaslighting people if they aren't as equally outraged is just silly.

If that was not your intent then apologies.

What about the rest of my post though? Am I wrong?

Do you honestly think I believe people shouldn't be outraged? Their method of gaslighting people if they aren't as equally outraged is just silly.

If that was not your intent then apologies.

What about the rest of my post though? Am I wrong?

Well then i dont understand your original post then. You seemed to just dismiss people's outrage only being there due to their need to be outraged (rather than their genuine feelings on the matter).

how do you decide who has genuine outrage and who doesn't?

Well then i dont understand your original post then. You seemed to just dismiss people's outrage only being there due to their need to be outraged (rather than their genuine feelings on the matter).

What is "genuine outrage" it's all whinging without power in the hope that someone with power plays along.

If they're trolling, bandwagoning, attention seeking for themselves or simply have a long and honourable history of supporting X cause it all comes across as the same.

Saying you're outraged is the most pathetic level of protesting possible.

I'll try and elaborate.

I'm not dismissing people's outrage. They are allowed to be outraged if they feel it but many people want to push their outrage on others and, if they don't agree, then they are deemed to accept the persecution in Qatar.

It's already been posted that "if you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem"... Gaslighting much?

The outraged fail to understand that the non-outraged person is merely being matter-of-fact that they accept it's another culture and cannot change it.

The Joe Lycett argument in the OP is a perfect example of it - he's emotionally blackmailing Beckham to get involved by using the "I'll shred £10k if you don't get involved"... What if Beckham, although doesn't agree with Qatar's views on homosexuality, realises he can't change anything or doesn't want to get involved?

What gives people like Lycett the right to force their opinion and views on another and blackmail them into supporting them?

Last edited:
I'd bet people like Lycett (and some on here) will still watch their country play in the WC. They'll use the "I'm supporting my country/team" argument but that's just nonsense.

Why does supporting a sports team suddenly trump all the outrage you had with Qatar?...

Does the fact the team is wearing an armband with certain colours on it give a DMZ style Armistice on the outrage so it's all ok for 90 min periods of time but normal service is resumed after full time?

It's not Christmas time 1914...

Last edited:
Its going to be an interesting event as far as fans go. Football hooligans are going to be a new thing for the country and it will be interesting how they deal with that.

Extortionate prices and hiding the Budweiser stands in the toilets.

Then to demonstrate equality you'll be beaten no worse than a local when you're caught breaking the laws you were told about dozens of times.

I can't really imagine hooligans going all the way to Qatar tbh, its typically the tournaments held closer to home that attract the European hooligan element. I kinda hope some do though just to see them get volleyed all over the shop by the Qatari authorities, would prob be the only positive PR story for them the entire tournament!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom