Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

I'm Scottish, therefore any participation in a World Cup constitutes passive spectator at best. ;)

To address your rant; my personal capacity to intervene is limited to educating people like yourself via conversations like this. The people who can actually influence the situation in any meaningful way are people like David Beckham, hence the campaign. Consider Joe Lycett the Dirk Diggler of the Twitter campaign against Beckham; he can't personally intervene but he can contribute by educating with good humour and patience.

And, you're welcome. :)

What a cop out. Slacktivism at its finest :D

Last edited:
So what are you implying he can do:
Exactly what I said within the words you quoted; influence the situation.

To elaborate, he should not have accepted the request to endorse the tournament with his presence as a paid ambassador. It's a cynical move by the organisers to buy credibility. If Beckham were to pull out (oo-er) it would a little bit late in the day yes, but still be hugely symbolic and damaging reputationally for Qatar and FIFA.

The fact that Beckham has championed gay rights in the past has led to his being in the pink spotlight for this.

Last edited:

To elaborate, he should not have accepted the request to endorse the tournament with his presence as a paid ambassador. It's a cynical move by the organisers to buy credibility. If Beckham were to pull out (oo-er) it would a little bit late in the day yes, but still be hugely symbolic.

It's a cynical move by the pleb waggling 10k and telling Beckham to dance for it.

Here, do what I say or I will talk trash about you. And by the way I need you to publicise this blackmail campaign against you so if you could say a few words one way or the other that would be great.

The momentum against the Qataris is trivial. Millions will watch the tournament built with a workers death rate of Victorian times because it really doesn't matter. **** hole country acting normally? Well, just here for the tournament and going home.

You don't think the entire situation is damaging enough for Qatar and fifa that it needs a retired footballer to disassociate himself for the government and governing body to take note? Mate, give over.

Anyone watched the Fifa Uncovered documentary on netflix yet? Started watching last night and its all pretty outrageous despite being obvious the corruptions been going on forever.

There's a scene with one of the Qataris being asked some slightly awkward questions and he just starts crying claiming all criticism is racism against them and hes soooo upset. Comes across as an absolute psycho.

Cant find a clip unfortunately but its worth a watch.

Tbf as a Muslim myself, I agree with the fact that it’s their country and their rules.
But I absolutely loathe majority of Muslim countries for their outdated and frankly barbaric rules.
Will I watch the WC?? Yes I will, would I go there to watch a game?? Nope and I did have an opportunity to go there to watch a few games but refused to because of their appalling rules.

The fact that FIFA awarded the WC to such an appalling country is truly mind boggling. But corruption and lots of money made FIFA give Qatar the WC unfortunately.

Personally I wouldn't listen to anyone making comments about a country they have never set foot in.
I am sure all of these people who are pointing and shouting at Qatar couldn't even name the capital.

would I go there to watch a game?? Nope and I did have an opportunity to go there to watch a few games but refused to because of their appalling rules.
This is the most confusing statement. I have never understood why people wouldnt travel there to watch the game, its the same as the poeple that say I am not travelling to XYZ country because they do ABC.

What has that got to do with the ordinary man walking down the street? Visiting a country usually revolves exposing onself to another countrys populaton and culture.

All this "campaign" is for is to allow a bunch of people to either virtue signal or to show outrage because there are certain people in society who cannot exist without being outraged about something at all times... It's like breathing to them - needed to survive or they face away into obscurity

This is just the current outrage event since things like fox hunting, BLM, slavery statues and the ilk have frittered away.... Once the WC is over, there will be a new "outrage" for them to suckle on for sustenance and we all start again.

Last edited:
Can I ask who we are to tell other countries what they should and shouldn't do, didn't we vote Brexit to 'take back control' as we didn't like being told what to do by the rest of Europe but now we feel we can instruct other societies how they should live? Who is to say the way we are living our lives is the 'right' way?

My feelings are the time to make a difference has long gone, we (as in England, Germany et all) should've got our heads together and boycotted the tournament, imagine if once announced the larger teams withdrew their attendance, then sponsors etc. would've withdrawn as well and that would've made FIFA sit up and take notice.

All this now reminds me of that one guy who's bladdered and removed his shirt marching up and down outside the pub offering everyone out but they all just turn round and go back in the pub ignoring him.
It's just straightforward western imperialism, ironically its part of our culture to dictate to other peoples cultures.

You won't find an emir pointing and criticising other countries cultures.

This is the most confusing statement. I have never understood why people wouldnt travel there to watch the game, its the same as the poeple that say I am not travelling to XYZ country because they do ABC.

What has that got to do with the ordinary man walking down the street? Visiting a country usually revolves exposing onself to another countrys populaton and culture.
Because maybe just maybe I have principles. Something a lot of people lack these days.
Why would I want to go to a country that’s stupidly hot, has no real culture to speak of…I have friends who have lived out there and they have said the same. Why would I go exactly?? To a country that is hellbent on oppressing a certain group of people and don’t give a flying **** about peoples well being??

Back
Top Bottom