Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Let's face it that won't happen, what will happen is:

Everyone will be told focus on the football and respect another country's culture despite your outrage.
England will get knocked out in the quarter finals to the might of someone such as Japan.
A couple of more outgoing gay fans will get arrested for 6 years for hand holding during the national anthems and be front page news for 3 minutes.
Gareth Southgate will be fired and everyone in the UK will forget the finals.
Brazil will win and ultimately won't care about the human rights anyway.
The gay couple will be released shortly afterwards and some potentially money laundering Quatari's siezed yacht will be returned.

You forgot obnoxious england fans getting arrested for.... i dunno, being drunk or filming in the street.

Funny how peoples morals go out the window when money or national pride is involved isnt it

I don't think it's our place to tell a country how to change it's culture to align with our views. Do I think their culture is backward compared to where I live and the culture I'm familiar with? Yes. Should we highlight it? Yes, but not after agreeing to host the football event there (world cup?).

Taking a stand does nothing other than create tension. Hopefully the people in charge of football now understand the issue but it undoubtedly comes down to money as ever. And probably political influence too.

Imagine if the UK hosted the event and they told the UK to remove the monarchy because it offends them?

I have to say I'm more upset at the slave labour and deaths that occured in delivering the stadium(s) and the event. Working in the infrastructure sector you hear some pretty unpleasant experiences yet we still send engineering consultancy firms and engineering expertise and turn a blind eye to it.

Wow, I'm sure the relatives of the slave labour corpses will be glad we're showing such restraint for fear of causing a bit of tension.

You're misinterpreting what I meant but perhaps I wasn't clear.

Taking a stand after the agreement and contract was signed is pointless. The most effective way of demonstrating solidarity is by not awarding big events to places we don't align with.

Slave trade happened. It's in the past. We move on. Having a chip on your shoulder because of times past achieves nothing. Educating the present and future generations has more impact that nostalgia. Avoiding this sort of thing from happening in the future is more important than mourning the past.

Last edited:
You're misinterpreting what I meant but perhaps I wasn't clear.

Taking a stand after the agreement and contract was signed is pointless. The most effective way of demonstrating solidarity is by not awarding big events to places we don't align with.

Slave trade happened. It's in the past. We move on. Having a chip on your shoulder because of times past achieves nothing. Educating the present and future generations has more impact that nostalgia. Avoiding this sort of thing from happening in the future is more important than mourning the past.
I completely disagree with that on the basis that it's the actual agreement to hold the tournament there that is the issue, therefore stating that any protest is meaningless after the contract is agreed is absurd.

I completely disagree with that on the basis that it's the actual agreement to hold the tournament there that is the issue, therefore stating that any protest is meaningless after the contract is agreed is absurd.
what protests did you organise or attend when Qatar was announced as the host nation? what protests did you organise or attend when you found out about the slave labour being used to build the stadia?

the only thing absurd here is people like you, all of a sudden wanting to protest now. where were you when there was a bargaining chip on our side we could use? how many threads did you create back then? where was joe lycett with his blackmailing tactics then? or are you all just getting all worked up now because it's makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside?
out of curiosity, what protest(s) are you planning or taking part in?

Can I ask who we are to tell other countries what they should and shouldn't do, didn't we vote Brexit to 'take back control' as we didn't like being told what to do by the rest of Europe but now we feel we can instruct other societies how they should live? Who is to say the way we are living our lives is the 'right' way?

My feelings are the time to make a difference has long gone, we (as in England, Germany et all) should've got our heads together and boycotted the tournament, imagine if once announced the larger teams withdrew their attendance, then sponsors etc. would've withdrawn as well and that would've made FIFA sit up and take notice.

All this now reminds me of that one guy who's bladdered and removed his shirt marching up and down outside the pub offering everyone out but they all just turn round and go back in the pub ignoring him.

Can I ask who we are to tell other countries what they should and shouldn't do, didn't we vote Brexit to 'take back control' as we didn't like being told what to do by the rest of Europe but now we feel we can instruct other societies how they should live? Who is to say the way we are living our lives is the 'right' way?

It's OK to condem the ill treatment of other humans.

what protests did you organise or attend when Qatar was announced as the host nation? what protests did you organise or attend when you found out about the slave labour being used to build the stadia?

the only thing absurd here is people like you, all of a sudden wanting to protest now. where were you when there was a bargaining chip on our side we could use? how many threads did you create back then? where was joe lycett with his blackmailing tactics then? or are you all just getting all worked up now because it's makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside?
out of curiosity, what protest(s) are you planning or taking part in?
I'm Scottish, therefore any participation in a World Cup constitutes passive spectator at best. ;)

To address your rant; my personal capacity to intervene is limited to educating people like yourself via conversations like this. The people who can actually influence the situation in any meaningful way are people like David Beckham, hence the campaign. Consider Joe Lycett the Dirk Diggler of the Twitter campaign against Beckham; he can't personally intervene but he can contribute by educating with good humour and patience.

And, you're welcome. :)

To address your rant; my personal capacity to intervene is limited to educating people like yourself via conversations like this. The people who can actually influence the situation in any meaningful way are people like David Beckham, hence the campaign. Consider Joe Lycett the Dirk Diggler of the Twitter campaign against Beckham; he can't personally intervene but he can contribute by educating with good humour and patience.
it wasn't a rant fella, far from it. and you're not educating anyone. every single person with half a brain knows what Qatar is and knows what went on during the preparation for the world cup. so again, i'm curious where was the campaign from joe lycette when Qatar was announced as the host nation? and i'll ask you again, what did you do when it was announced? joe is educating no one, he's keeping himself relevant/in the media and folk, who probably need a better education, lap it up.

I'm Scottish, therefore any participation in a World Cup constitutes passive spectator at best. ;)

And, you're welcome. :)

Actually the bigger problem than who can sleep with who is the disgraceful safety record of companies building stadia in Qatar over the past few years. The high number of deaths and injury recorded and unrecorded is possibly without parallel (pro rata) since a fellow Arab state was engaged in building the pyramids.

Allegedly they were also into non hetero relationships in those days too though so nothing is new.

lol what can Beckham do to stop a world cup? :cry:
there's literally nothing anyone can do now and that's the idiocy of this 'campaign' - if it was genuine campaign but personally i believe it's just a glorified publicity stunt by lycette and the suckers are getting caught up, as they tend to do.

Back
Top Bottom