Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Yes I listened to a segment on Talk Sport yesterday. They couldn't even sing It's coming home which even my missus knows and she hates football.

I hope these stadiums are all basically empty so we can all laugh. Even though it isn't really a laughing matter as thousands would have died for a sham competition.
They'll probably fill them with all the slaves they have purchased from India.

yes Literally, it’s ok as it’s not happening in public in front of view of others that may find it offensive.
It’s the same reason why PDA isn’t allowed in public, others may find it offensive in that society.
I could go places with that argument... but I wont.

I feel sorry for the fans that are heading over there. Had a chat with a friend last week who's making the pilgrimage.

Every World Cup (not just this one), he finds that everyone gets very vocal and makes comments aimed towards him for going, or use it to raise their own viewpoints, in respect of an issue that suddenly becomes the hot topic. It must get extremely boring!

From his perspective:

- He's going for the football, which is his 'life hobby'.
- It's not his fault it's in Qatar. He wishes it wasn't.
- He knows the local rules should be abided by, but also thinks that doesn't mean that they can't be respectfully disagreed with / criticised in the right forum.
- Is torn because he really hates the public pressure to actively support LGBT persons (or any other similar issue) and doesn't want this to interfere with his hobby...
- ... yet has gay friends and family members that he does genuinely want to show support and solidarity for. In fact, he's travelling there with a gay football supporter (incoming hilarious forum banter...).
- The gay friend is apparently intending to keep his sexuality hidden for the trip.
- Both absolutely detest how nobody gives a **** about the issues after the World Cup ends.

So yeah, just a really annoying situation for both of them... especially as they are the ones getting criticised for going.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the fans that are heading over there. Had a chat with a friend last week who's making the pilgrimage.

Every World Cup (not just this one), he finds that everyone gets very vocal and makes comments aimed towards him for going, or use it to raise their own viewpoints, in respect of an issue that suddenly becomes the hot topic. It must get extremely boring!

From his perspective:

- He knows the local rules should be abided by, but also thinks that doesn't mean that they can't be respectfully disagreed with / criticised in the right forum.
- Is torn because he really hates the public pressure to actively support LGBT persons (or any other similar issue) and doesn't want this to interfere with his hobby...
- ... yet has gay friends and family members that he does genuinely want to show support and solidarity for. In fact, he's travelling there with a gay football supporter (incoming hilarious forum banter...).
- The gay friend is apparently intending to keep his sexuality hidden for the trip.

- Both absolutely detest how nobody gives a **** about the issues after the World Cup ends.

So yeah, just a really annoying situation for both of them... especially as they are the ones getting criticised for going.
Yea sorry not feeling sorry for people travelling out to a place that celebrates killing people like himself etc.

From his perspective:

On the sexuality hidden point, if tomorrow being gay was suddenly legal in Qatar he would still have to keep his sexuality hidden. What’s the point on this one?

Not sure how I feel about. Obvious corruption in FIFA as to how they got it but we've had a decade to take action on it and then Joe Lycett picks on David to not do football things like he's the problem. It's just another Joe Lycett publicity stunt really. Not sure why we give him the attention he so craves. Yes there are major issues with Qatar but....so what? Why do we need to not play football there and lose out on taking part in a world cup? England should go, play well and try to win it. Yes it will be a lame world cup due to various reasons. I'll still watch and support England from my sofa. It is what it is. It's their country - with major issues yes - their rules. The time to cry about this was directly after they got announced as hosts 12 years ago.

Is it really "football things" when it involves sponsors and advertising? It's also clearly been used by Qatar to politicise the sport for their gain (just as Russia does/did) so it's impossible for it not to be politically charged.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom