Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Yea sorry not feeling sorry for people travelling out to a place that celebrates killing people like himself etc.

Odd take.

On the sexuality hidden point, if tomorrow being gay was suddenly legal in Qatar he would still have to keep his sexuality hidden. What’s the point on this one?

No major point, just saying my friend is not ignorant of the issues - a person he is travelling with is indeed gay, so it's not a 'head in the sand issue'.

Last edited:
Odd take.

No major point, just saying my friend is not ignorant of the issues - a person he is travelling with is indeed gay, so it's not a 'head in the sand issue'.

How do you know his gay friend is not being looked into? I bet everyone is being screened when entering. Just seems like a proper dodgy country. Next thing he knows he is behind bars.

Screened for being gay? Do gaydars actually exist?

Everyone has a digital identity today which is a piece of pie to find info on. I had my identity stolen a couple of years back so if some scum in a basement can do it I am sure government organisations can. At the end of the day you are going into a country as something illegal there that could end up as a prison sentence or death. Props to the guy going but I wouldn't personally take that risk.

Last edited:
Everyone has a digital identity today which is a piece of pie to find info on. I had my identity stolen a couple of years back so if some scum in a basement can do it I am sure government organisations can. At the end of the day you are going into a country as something illegal there that could end up as a prison sentence or death. Props to the guy going but I wouldn't personally take that risk.

Jesus out of the millions of people crossing borders, they aren’t looking to terrorists, they aren’t looking for violent criminals, they aren’t looking for hauls of heroin, instead they’re looking for … gay people.
They’re monitoring people’s identities just to arrest them at the border for being gay.

I’m guessing you’ve never been to Qatar or anywhere in the gulf lol.

Last edited:
Jesus out of the millions of people crossing borders, they aren’t looking to terrorists, they aren’t looking for violent criminals, they aren’t looking for hauls of heroin, instead they’re looking for … gay people.
They’re monitoring people’s identities just to arrest them at the border for being gay.

I’m guessing you’ve never been to Qatar or anywhere in the gulf lol.

I am just saying I wouldn't feel safe going there. I haven't been to anywhere in the gulf yet have been all over the world and wouldn't plan to go to that part of the world either. My brother worked and lived in Dubai and now lives in Australia so I have heard all the stories.

I am just saying I wouldn't feel safe going there. I haven't been to anywhere in the gulf yet have been all over the world and wouldn't plan to go to that part of the world either. My brother worked and lived in Dubai and now lives in Australia so I have heard all the stories.
What stories did he tell you about safety in Dubai?

If you’ve been all over the world then I’m sure you’ve been to places far more dangerous than the gulf as almost all countries are so.
I’m also surprised someone that has also been all over the world doesn’t understand that you can’t judge a place you’ve never set foot in. Surely you must have had some surprises on your travels when you found a place was very different to what you’ve heard or read?

Maybe we should import some Qatary immigrants to help enact change in the UK

We have more than enough immigrants already, and they have already enacted many changes. Some would say too may changes...

We don't need more immigrants to effect changes to lower the crime rate, especially given the disproportionate number of immigrants already incarcerated in our prison system :)

Now, importing some of the methodology of the judicial system in Qatar is a different matter.

Last edited:
What stories did he tell you about safety in Dubai?

If you’ve been all over the world then I’m sure you’ve been to places far more dangerous than the gulf as almost all countries are so.
I’m also surprised someone that has also been all over the world doesn’t understand that you can’t judge a place you’ve never set foot in. Surely you must have had some surprises on your travels when you found a place was very different to what you’ve heard or read?

It was back in the early days. He has lived in Australia for decades but from what I have seen not much has changed.

We have more than enough immigrants already, and they have already enacted many changes. Some would say too may changes...

We don't need more immigrants to effect changes to lower the crime rate, especially given the disproportionate number of immigrants already incarcerated in our prison system :)

Now, importing some of the methodology of the judicial system in Qatar is a different matter.

Hate to break it to you but we need a lot more immigration or else we will end up like Japan. We aren’t having enough kids.

I think we need to sort out our infrastructure and capacity to sufficiently and efficiently service our current population before we think about upping immigration for birth-rate reasons.

Have a look at the video posted recently of the "English" fans. Qatar will fill the stadiums with migrant workers pretending to be fans - and they'll probably dock the price of the football strip from their wages.
And then right on cue...

I await to be corrected here but is it actually illegal to be homosexual in Qatar or is it just homosexual acts that are illegal?

I did have a look but the penal codes referenced on a couple of sites seem to suggest the latter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom