Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Well some people on here are saying they will never visit Qatar, why would that be because of a "dodgy government" or because they don't like the people.

If the goverment does things a certain way, why wouldnt you visit the people and write the entire nation off completely as not worthy of a visit?
Because you could be arrested because of those government policies or don't want to give financial support to such a government?

No, you're just being unclear, yet again. I wasn't talking about laws, you've just picked up on a comment, misinterpreted it yourself, and run with it...
Fine... So what rule is Gary Lineker preaching to others yet breaking himself?

Because you could be arrested because of those government policies or don't want to give financial support to such a government?
If you're in fear of getting arrested everywhere you go then its not a way to live.

Turning up to visit somewhere doesn't mean you're writing a big fat cheque to the local government (except DPRK), most of the time you are supporting the shop owner, taxi driver or restaurateur.

The financial support line is just a bunch of words repeated by people with no actual thought about what they mean in practice, its nonsense.

Meanwhile in the real life.

Never thought I would find myself agreeing so much with piers

I think the reality vs media are two very different things unfortunately.
Much like they are in most middle eastern coverage.
Fortunately in the days of social media and random people who are actually there giving their feedback, there seems to be few people complaining about the world cup so far!

I guess the bigots stayed at home to complain while the people that were willing to ignore the crap actually went, which is why there isn't much negative coverage.

Last edited:
Never thought I would find myself agreeing so much with piers

I think the reality vs media are two very different things unfortunately.
Much like they are in most middle eastern coverage.
Fortunately in the days of social media and random people who are actually there giving their feedback, there seems to be few people complaining about the world cup so far!

It is still a lot compared with a country like the UK taking health and safety seriously and where one death would be considered too many. I agree that some figures given in the media are very exaggerated but in canal building England tunneling through the Pennines, seven men died in seven years of digging. There are worse examples of course however hundreds dying building stadia and infrastructure is pretty poor in the 21st century.

LGBT, they make their own rules. Construction safety, our rules.

I'll just leave this here:

That was debunked as fake news by the German equivalent of the BBC, if you believe them.

We talked about it earlier in the thread.

I am not disputing that the workers rights were poor, but 6500 died is people that died full stop. They could have contracted cancer and died, or hit by a bus or any one of a number of reasons, which is why its so misleading.

That was debunked as fake news by the German equivalent of the BBC, if you believe them.

We talked about it earlier in the thread.

I am not disputing that the workers rights were poor, but 6500 died is people that died full stop. They could have contracted cancer and died, or hit by a bus or any one of a number of reasons, which is why its so misleading.
Even the 4/500 people killed working on World Cup projects is utterly ridiculous, as you keep telling us this is a rich and developed country it’s just a shame that there health and safety standards for migrant workers are dire and they don’t care!

Even the 4/500 people killed working on World Cup projects is utterly ridiculous, as you keep telling us this is a rich and developed country it’s just a shame that there health and safety standards for migrant workers are dire and they don’t care!
They don't care, thats why they did a complete overhaul and worked to improve it together with Swiss and German trade unions...
Cmon man.

Pretty much every middle eastern country I've ever been to (which is many, not to brag but just saying I have experience)......migrant workers are seen to be treated literally like slaves. They put up with it only because they can earn so much more than back home obviously (despite being peanuts relatively)

Pretty much every middle eastern country I've ever been to (which is many, not to brag but just saying I have experience)......migrant workers are seen to be treated literally like slaves. They put up with it only because they can earn so much more than back home obviously (despite being peanuts relatively)

Sounds not dissimilar to the way the UK treated migrant workers too, to be honest.

This really is limited to the GCC countries + a tiny bit of Iraq (I have been to almost all arab countries)

It's not misleading if you have more than a couple braincells. Did you bother to read the article?

Qatars population grew by 40% due to the influx of migrants required to get the country ready to host the world cup. More than 6500 have died since. Do they have an extremely disproportionate amount of people hit by bus each year in Qatar?

Last edited:
I'll just leave this here:

That's a bit misleading/requires context; plenty of those deaths you'd expect to occur/aren't necessarily because of unsafe work.

Some are; heat is probably a big factor (and some are from unsafe living conditions) but a bunch of people have taken that article and read it to mean that those deaths should be attributed to the world cup when, in fact, simply having 2 million migrants present in any country (they outnumber the native population) will inevitably lead to some dying from various causes each year over the course of a decade.

Back
Top Bottom