Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

It's not misleading if you have more than a couple braincells. Did you bother to read the article?

Qatars population grew by 40% due to the influx of migrants required to get the country ready to host the world cup. More than 6500 have died since. Do they have an extremely disproportionate amount of people hit by bus each year in Qatar?

Well how many people do you expect to die from a population of millions each year from non work related deaths?

Even their records aren’t accurate

Last edited:
Well how many people do you expect to die from a population of millions each year from non work related deaths?

Even their records aren’t accurate

How many excuses are you trying to make to sweep this topic under the rug?

ANY deaths on a building project that was not from natural causes is a problem.

That's the bit the Guardian doesn't contextualize, they refer to the Qatari government's claim but just pay it lip service rather than interrogate it

The Qatar government says that the number of deaths – which it does not dispute – is proportionate to the size of the migrant workforce and that the figures include white-collar workers who have died naturally after living in Qatar for many years. It also says that only 20 per cent of expatriates from the countries in question are employed in construction, and that work-related deaths in this sector accounted for fewer than 10 percent of fatalities within this group.

AFAIK you'd expect a few thousand deaths, there may well be an excess number but they don't give us that, we're just left in the dark in terms of quantifying it with some anecdotes about how some deaths may have been mis classified.

How many excuses are you trying to make to sweep this topic under the rug?

ANY deaths on a building project that was not from natural causes is a problem.
The good part is they claimed to have been working to fix it.

Next!

The best part is the usual suspects have completely ignored the positive parts of the interview

The good part is they claimed to have been working to fix it.

Next!

The best part is the usual suspects have completely ignored the positive parts of the interview

Oh well that's ok then! We can just take their word for it that they are working to fix it and there is nothing to worry about.

Next!... :p

(You're either deluded or seriously ignorant)

Wow, there is even a debate about it ? So you are telling me, there are people here on this forum who are quite happy innocent people have died for a simple football tournament ? Or at least don't care people have died? :confused:

Crazy, sadly, part of me isn't surprised.

The obvious only moral answer is, it's wrong & the world should have boycott it, Qatar needs to learn.

Last edited:
Oh well that's ok then! We can just take their word for it that they are working to fix it and there is nothing to worry about.

He claimed the Swiss and German labour unions approve it, i don’t know if that’s true or not but we could ask them? They make unite look like babies.

Wow, there is even a debate about it ? So you are telling me, there are people here on this forum who are quite happy innocent people have died for a simple football tournament ? Or at least don't care people have died? :confused:

The obvious only moral answer is, it's wrong & the world should have boycott it, Qatar needs to learn.

NO no, it's all fine.
After all, they claimed that they are working to fix it.

Next!

(Am I doing this right?)

Well no, we do know they have been making strides (respectively) in this area due to the external criticism over the last decade. It is possibly one of the few benefits the world cup has brought to the Qatari population. It's just a shame they didn't care before people condemned them.

Boycott people that acknowledge their faults and claim to have fixed them?

Well no, we do know they have been making strides (respectively) in this area due to the external criticism over the last decade. It is possibly one of the few benefits the world cup has brought to the Qatari population. It's just a shame they didn't care before people condemned them.
Well to be fair even the U.K. had labour problems too but we worked to fix them like they are now.

No one holds that against us

Boycott people that acknowledge their faults and claim to have fixed them?

Judge them by their ACTIONS not their WORDS.

Otherwise we can only conclude that Boris DID In fact add 350m to the NHS each week, took control of our borders and got us the best "Oven-Ready" deal possible with Europe.

The reality is far different from what they PR0MISE to do. Judge them on what they DO , not what they SAY.

Judge them by their ACTIONS not their WORDS.

Otherwise we can only conclude that Boris DID In fact add 350m to the NHS each week, took control of our borders and got us the best "Oven-Ready" deal possible with Europe.

The reality is far different from what they PR0MISE to do. Judge them on what they DO , not what they SAY.
habibi time will tell we will have to see.
We can’t see what it will be like in 5 years

The biggest claim for me in that interview was him mentioning German and Swiss labour unions. I’m sure many on this thread have no idea what that actually means if it’s true and how serious those people are.

Our workers rights are a joke compared to Swiss/German/Austrian.

Last edited:

I dunno I thought the moral answer here was that David Beckham should personally boycott it and take a financial hit and everyone else should get a free pass and no one should question their participation in or profit made from the world cup or indeed their income from Qatar or similar gulf state countries over the years or indeed choosing to holiday in such countries themselves, contributing to their economies then later making a big display of condemning Qatar them over LGBT stuff.

Not on health and safety at work they are not. Particularly in construction. Our rules are equivalent to the best in the world.

Also I dismiss your general statement.
i Dont work in construction so I can’t be sure, but I doubt that are a million miles apart from each other, but workers rights in general?

I lived and worked in Germany and they are miles ahead, I could give a long list of reasons. Austria is even more strict than germany.

Oh and one quick look at the economy of germany vs the economy of the U.K. will tell you who has it correct.

Last edited:
Please do.

1) In the UK you can be sacked for any reason within two years. In Germany its six months.
2)In germany almost everyone has some sort of works council representing them. I only worked there for about a year employed by a German company and every month they would meet with the employer to discuss issues and my working conditions were regularly updated in this time.
I remember looking at the working conditions in Amazon UK vs Amazon DE over the xmas period last year. The UK ones were positively medieval, 50+ hours a week, compiulsory overtime. In Germany 37.5 hours a week was set.
3)No age related minimum wages. Everyone gets the same
4)In some industries wages are set by the works councils under collective agreements, for example fast food workers are covered by these and you don't get mcdonalds managers making 10p more than restaurant staff.
5) Jobseekers allowance is related to your salary

6) This is a bit controversal but the state pension makes the UK one look like a joke but you pay a lot for it so I am not sure if this is much of a positive.

7) the whole gig economy zero hours contract thing doesn’t exist either. Everyone knows exactly how much money they wil get every week.

8) everyone gets Sunday off except on a few circumstances(restaurants, cinemas etc) you can’t drive a truck, or deliver parcels.
Oh you can’t even mow your lawn unless you’re doing it silently

9) oh and sick pay, I was there during Covid and the whole thing was a joke in the U.K. when people were being asked to go off sick for a few quid per day. In germany it’s the whole pay.

I am sure there is more but these are the ones I thought of off the top of my head that I remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: NVP
Oh Jeez in addition to my point above, you can legally employ someone in the U.K. for £4.83 an hour, now that’s very questionable.
Even a 20 year old at £6.83. I bet if they work in Domino’s they will be stood next to a 25 year old making £10 odd for the same job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom