Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Work ethic and salary are not related in the slightest.

If you will not do X job for £X per hour, you will not do that job, or you will resign quickly after realizing the job is different to what you thought.

You say even £6.83, what does that even mean, Some 20 year olds are not worth £1 per hour, some are negative, and some are worth £20 per hour.

You imply everyone is worth the same or something?

If you are managing people or running your own business you will see it very clearly.
Of course but the employer can also very quickly sack them if they aren’t worth what they are being paid(in fact they have two years to do so)

Why do you think there is minimum wage legislation to begin with?

Last edited:
Yep, hence putting al jazeera warning, but its all 100% true.

I have been to every single gulf country and they are all like that.

Watch youtube videos, tiktok videos or any other source of information if you like.

Remember South Africa, the warnings about street crime and how not to become a victim during the world cup. Similarly with the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. I expect Qatar is a lot safer than either of the aforementioned venues.

Last edited:
I must admit, it was great watching some of the games in Morocco in a public square. No violence, no hooliganism, no getting covered in beer, just people and families having a nice time. After the game, everyone headed away in good spirits. All because of a lack of alcohol. Very refreshing. Even my missus, who hates football, commented it was a nice event and had a good atmosphere and was ok stopping to watch.

Compare that to how people celebrate here…

Last edited:
I must admit, it was great watching some of the games in Morocco in a public square. No violence, no hooliganism, no getting covered in beer, just people and families having a nice time. After the game, everyone headed away in good spirits. All because of a lack of alcohol. Very refreshing. Even my missus, who hates football, commented it was a nice event and had a good atmosphere and was ok stopping to watch.

i don’t think it’s just alcohol related. It’s just having strict laws with adequate enforcement. In the U.K. fans know they will get away with trashing a city centre, in Qatar? Not so much.

You start a riot or throwing traffic cones there and it will be quashed pronto and you’ll probably be chucked in jail or straight onto a flight back home.

Quite easy if you cherry pick news articles.

etc etc

Quite easy if you cherry pick news articles.

etc etc
I was comparing actual life experience rather than newspaper articles. I was there, it felt safe and I didn’t see trouble. I was also around for the George square ‘riots’ and walked around Saltmarket the day after Celtic fans trashed it. It certainly wasn’t the atmosphere I had in Morocco. I think the difference is alcohol.

Not sure what your point actually is here?

Last edited:
I was comparing actual life experience rather than newspaper articles. I was there, it felt safe and I didn’t see trouble. I was also around for the George square ‘riots’ and walked around Saltmarket the day after Celtic fans trashed it. It certainly wasn’t the atmosphere I had in Morocco. I think the difference is alcohol.

Not sure what your point actually is here?

I've been to Football games in Scotland and felt perfectly safe too, you were the one that compared the two. My point is, you can't really compare something with a snapshot of your time spent there when there clearly is also a football violence issue.

I've been to Football games in Scotland and felt perfectly safe too, you were the one that compared the two. My point is, you can't really compare something with a snapshot of your time spent there when there clearly is also a football violence issue.
I was more referring to public celebration of games, as the three events I mentioned weren’t at stadia. I guess I was just highlighting that I (and my football hating missus) felt safe and welcome at a screening of Morocco games and I suspect it’s because of a lack of alcohol. I haven’t felt that at other occasions in Scotland. Although I’ve felt fine at games I’ve been to, though there is an undercurrent of uneasiness and tension. My missus certainly wouldn’t want to stand in George square and watch football on a tv as she’d be worried about the fans, this worry just didn’t happen in Morocco.

It’s possibly unfair to compare international games and club games as Scotland fans apparently travel well but I haven’t been to a public Scotland game/showing outside of a pub.

It’s interesting the English and Welsh were fighting each other in Benidorm but I’ve not heard of any reports of major violence in Qatar. I do think the lack of alcohol creates a more fun, family friendly, party atmosphere which I think is a better environment compared to the edgey, nervous violent tension often experienced at UK football events.

Just sharing my experience as I thought it was quite unique.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom