Joe Lycett - Qatar/Beckham debate

Another point I think on this one is something really needs to be done about the fact that somehow we have multiple leagues without a single homosexual player. It's crazy isn't it? Does professional football repel homosexuals?
Absolutely. I think there’s been a couple have come out after their careers were over but there’s bound to be players currently playing out there that are gay. Says a lot about our own society when they still aren’t comfortable coming out in 2022.

Last edited:

And anyone questioning fifa being bribed for this, well even the then president (done for bribes etc) said it was a 'mistake' awarding Qatar the tournament..... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63554507

He didn't seem to think it was a mistake at the time when he was taking the cash.

The tournament will continue. But if they didn't go then FIFA may start to take the hint that they need to think about where they stage it in the future when ad revenues take a dive for example.
You'd hope all this criticism is enough.

Has anyone pointed out the irony of the OP using a homophobic slur in the title of a thread about respecting the LGB community?

Who are you thinking about. The public doesn't elect people for honours. He needs to impress the people that do give out the honours.

And the people who give out honours consider how that will be received by the public. No they are not beholden to them but they consider things like this when deciding.

It's not about changing Qatar, it's about changing FIFA and any other western entity that thinks we should be doing business by staging tournaments with countries like this and expecting our residents to travel there and contribute to their economy.

From what I have seen, people aren't doing this. They are focussing on Qatar as if their meaningless hand wringing and condemnation will do any good. Hit the money people if you don't want these places to be palatable for events like this.

If you think that's the problem then you're not really going to understand the actual problem.

Are you questioning the idea that out of 700 or so PL players there are no gay men. I say good sir, nothing more manly than modern football.

In all seriousness, I do find it odd because society at large has almost 0 issue with it and I doubt many players would either. Probably just needs someone to "get the ball rolling".

My money is on Ronaldo at some point.

I was assuming that David Beckham had came out.

Also, is bender a nice term? I didn’t think it was used by anyone, even homosexuals, unless being used in a derogatory way?

Its OK as long as you are LGBTQ. Its like using the N word.

Back
Top Bottom