Just been ejected from Sainsburys

Soldato
With all these people saying take off your lid when paying for stuff, I will do just that next time. Get to the front of the queue, then proceed to unbutton my sleeves, take off my gloves, take off my helmet, pay, then do the reverse. See how annoyed people get behind me, then maybe they'll understand the ball-ache of doing all that.

Soldato
as I explained earlier it is not 5 seconds... clearly you are not a biker

the whole 'being polite' thing does not wash with me, it's a non argument.... I'm not at garage for a candlelit meal for two with till girl, just to slot my card in chip and pin and leave...

from my experience the less you say to garage attendants the better, as they are usually sub human single cell creatures ...the ones that serve you at silly'o'clock on the night shift don't speak any kind of language I understand, and more sort of grunt at you

edit: in fact replacing garage workers with amoeba would be a big improvment in overall customer experience imho

I've had a mountain of different kit, and it's never been more then a 10 second job to get the gloves/helmet off, in fact when I buy kit, the ability to get stuff on/off quickly is something I check out.

End of the day, it's the supermarkets right to not accept anyone they don't like the look of, it's their store, their rules, it's not a big deal, people are acting like spoilt kids, if you don't like the policy, don't shop there, if it really bothers you that much you have to make a point out of flouting the rules, it's pretty sad tbh..

I'm only saying this because I know under some situations it does intimidate people, however irrational it may be..

Last edited:
Associate
I truly can't see the issue in removing my helmet. Even if I wasn't filling up, by the time I've walked from the bike to the entrance of the shop, both gloves will be off, lid removed and wallet found from the appropriate pocket.

Life is just too short to get wound up over such trivial matters.

Man of Honour
I've had a mountain of different kit, and it's never been more then a 10 second job to get the gloves/helmet off, in fact when I buy kit, the ability to get stuff on/off quickly is something I check out.

End of the day, it's the supermarkets right to not accept anyone they don't like the look of, it's their store, their rules, it's not a big deal, people are acting like spoilt kids, if you don't like the policy, don't shop there, if it really bothers you that much you have to make a point out of flouting the rules, it's pretty sad tbh..

I'm only saying this because I know under some situations it does intimidate people, however irrational it may be..

your right it's not a big deal at all... but if told I leave without giving them my custom and garages I know that do this I avoid...

it's not illegal to continue wearing lid after getting off bike, if people want to take offense at this then thats their lookout I guess. I cant wait till winter when I'll have balaclava on also... will be a nice surprise when I remove lid, the balaclava is of course for religious reasons not to keep me warm :)

once had a guy beg me to take lid off in forecourt, but that was to, as he said 'smash my face in and av me', and all because he cut me up at entrance to garage :)

Soldato
I see the opposite, life is too short to faff around for no reason other than 'being polite'

I guess I'm lucky, it takes mere seconds, I do it as part of the routine of getting my wallet out (normally take gloves off), I'd rather spend 10 second taking/putting my helmet back on then get het up and start avoiding certain garages, which would be inconvenient.

:)

I reckon it's just Bikers who've caught 'teh Gay' and don't want to be seen in public with Helmet hair ;)

:D

Last edited:
Associate
I think you'll find with most shops the reason they want helmets off is so they can get a view of your face on CCTV. That's certainly the reason in my local co-op where you can't even wear any sort of headgear as you enter the shop.

Soldato
I really don't see the issue with a helmet when I could quite freely walk around the store fully covered with black cloth and not a word would be said to me.

one thing, though, is that although you were only buying a sammich and you had handed over your £X.ZZ, the moment she opened the till you could have whipped out your gun (or machette, whatever you fancy) because you were in a helmet, albeit on camera.

Associate
With all these people saying take off your lid when paying for stuff, I will do just that next time. Get to the front of the queue, then proceed to unbutton my sleeves, take off my gloves, take off my helmet, pay, then do the reverse. See how annoyed people get behind me, then maybe they'll understand the ball-ache of doing all that.

I do this every time (if I can't find pay and pump). It really doesn't take that long, and it's never annoyed people even when the queues have been quite long.

it's not illegal to continue wearing lid after getting off bike, if people want to take offense at this then thats their lookout I guess. I cant wait till winter when I'll have balaclava on also... will be a nice surprise when I remove lid, the balaclava is of course for religious reasons not to keep me warm

This is just such a childish attitude to take IMO, and it's stuff like this that gives bikers a bad rep in some circles. Some people are intimidated by the look of someone in full protective gear and a helmet, I see little harm in being polite enough to take it off.

Man of Honour
I do this every time (if I can't find pay and pump). It really doesn't take that long, and it's never annoyed people even when the queues have been quite long.

This is just such a childish attitude to take IMO, and it's stuff like this that gives bikers a bad rep in some circles. Some people are intimidated by the look of someone in full protective gear and a helmet, I see little harm in being polite enough to take it off.

No it's just me having a laugh in the forums.... Don't wear balaclava

Part of the grumpy old man in me wants to just do as i please... And with age i really hate being told what to do, especially when not warranted

If I had of been op i would have kicked up a right fuss, 20 years ago wouldn't of said boo to a goose

Man of Honour
Can I interrupt this thread slightly, Sorry Scuzi, as I am looking for a motorcyclist who robbed a Sainsbury's yesterday. Irish accent.

Any ideas to Crimestoppers. Thanks. ;)

Sorry to hear about that Scuzi. I would certainly take it further. Completely unacceptable.

Caporegime
but if you followed that logic;

if she has been attacked by a biker in a helmet, why would antagonising the biker in a helmet make him less likely to attack her?

that is backwards, as she already knows that he wont attack her, she is just doing it on principle - to be difficult herself, not because she was scared per se.

why not come and 'debate' the merits for headware and the descriminatory practices in the UK regarding them in speakers forum. this is something i kinda evangelised but larely it fell on deaf ears it sucks that it happened to you but at least now there are some real examples of the relative unfairness that our system currently provides to its public.

this.

i've been treated like this by supermarkets before. Bought about £50's worth of BBQ food from marks and spencers food hall (their burgers and chicken kebabs are to die for) and 2 bottles of wine to go with it all. Baring in mind i was 26 at the time, woman looks me up and down turning her nose up at me and asks me if i have ID.

What sort of 17 year old buys £50s worth of BBQ food for 6 people just so he can buy 2 bottles of overpriced wine from M&S ?

SHe didnt really suspect i was 17, she just didnt like me and wanted to create a scene as she knew i was of the age that i was likely to have stopped carrying ID round (havent been ID'd before this since i was about 17)

Thankfully i had my drivers license on and practically threw it at her. Yeah she was just doing her job etc.. but they do it just to make a scene because they want a confrontation.

And for what its worth scuzi, i agree you were in the right. Stupid old bat just wanted a scene.

Associate
Not had any real problems with this before, all garages seem ok with me wearing the helmet to fill up / pay.

Only had to take it off once and the girl actually said sorry as she had only done it as the manager was around or something similar.

Really is a pain to carry your lid and gloves about if youre going to go into the shop and then pick up a drink and/or food then get to the till and attempt to whop out the wallet from a double zipped up pocked before attempting to faff out some change.

Back
Top Bottom