Just been ejected from Sainsburys

Soldato
I thought as much. Removing your helmet sounds like a trivial simple thing to do, but if you were a biker you'd know what a pain in the bum it is.

It sounds like a trivial thing to do, in most cases it is..

Some people say it's all about taking the gloves off etc.. The reality is, if you have enough dexterity to access your wallet, remove your card and key in a PIN number, you've got enough dexterity to remove the helmet..

Honestly, IME, it sounds like just an excuse to hide their laziness and impolite manners, and the real deep seated irrationality about 'being told what to do'..

If people can't be bothered to be considerate to others, why the hell are they expecting anyone to be considerate to them?

:)

Last edited:
Caporegime
You have to undo zips and take gloves off to pay anyway surely?
To get card out and use chip and pin you need to remove items. So taking helmet off isn't much more of a problem.

As for it being an inconvenience, does it really matter? You make up so much time by passing cars and speeding past others that the time to take helmet off should be an acceptable part of beig a rider.

Associate
I tend to pay at the pump and fill up whilst on the bike. That just involves the removal of one glove ;)

If I'm going into a shop I tend to take the helmet off, since it's easier to communicate and sort out funds n such.

It's personal choice I guess. Unless the place has rules in place... in which case they should be clearly displayed :)

Associate
I had to quickly nip into Sainsburys to pick up a sandwich on my way home. The sandwich fridge is right by the entrance as is the tobacco counter. I walked in, grabbed a sandwiuch and went to the counter. The old doll behind the counter went as far as taking my money off me before deciding she didn't like the helmet. Instead of asking me to remove it she grabbed the sandwich and said "Take off the helmet". I said no and asked for my sandwich and change. Instead of handing me the change and sandwich and letting me leave, she caused an immense fuss by shouting at me, "Take off that helmet now or I'll have you put out!"

Now, I understand some places like filling stations have a policy regarding removal of helmets and said policies are clearly signposted on the door. My Sainsburys has no such signs anywhere. I had a thorough look.

So before Doris has a heart attack I take off my helmet as she rants at me about how there are signs and that I should know better. I asked her why I had to remove my helmet and the best reason she could come up with was "Coz we can see who you are". I asked why she needed to know who I was and what their policy was on Burkha wearing Muslims. She responded by telling me to get out.

I took issue with this, as you do :)D)and went in search of a supervisor. The supervisor said there was no policy, the security guard who came over said there was no policy yet I was asked to leave. :confused:

Frankly I'm pretty annoyed about how I was spoken to. I could totally understand if there was a store policy about removing helmets and it was clearly signposted but since neither is the case I'm miffed. I'm tempted to ask the old girl to remove her wig next time.

Anyone had a similar experience?

in Ireland they could be done for slander/discrimination, also they can not have 1 rule for some people and others.

also you would have to write to Wall Mart in America as they own then ;)

Soldato
It sounds like a trivial thing to do, in most cases it is..

Some people say it's all about taking the gloves off etc.. The reality is, if you have enough dexterity to access your wallet, remove your card and key in a PIN number, you've got enough dexterity to remove the helmet..

Honestly, IME, it sounds like just an excuse to hide their laziness and impolite manners, and the real deep seated irrationality about 'being told what to do'..

If people can't be bothered to be considerate to others, why the hell are they expecting anyone to be considerate to them?

:)

I think in a petrol station it's fine, and I've only been asked to take it off once, and I did so. Didn't bother me, she was polite when she asked, so I took it off - you're in and out and you're mid-journey and they never usually mind.

Anywhere else, no excuse. Take it off.

If I was working in a supermarket and some **** came in with a crash helmet on I would not be impressed. And no, I'm not particularly impressed when people come in with the veils on either.

Soldato
Company policy dicates that helmets are to be removed before a pump is authorised where I work, you're also supposed to get off the bike too, can't remember the last time I saw anybody try and enforce either, though I'm sure that if we get a spate of bike ride offs we might get told to enforce them but past experience says otherwise. It's just far too much hassle for a lot of bikers (gear dependant) and does nothing but cause queing on the forcourt.

That said, policy also dictates that car doors are shut before pumps get authorised too, and that never happens either.

Associate
If I need to fill up and I have to remove my helmet. I will remove my helmet gloves and take off my bum bag so I can pay.

And you can bet I take my time putting them all back on again hopefully while people are waiting !

Stupid PC nonsense

Associate
My local petrol stations, including supermarkets, let me pay at the night window without taking my lid off. seems the policy down here is to not allow you in the store with lid on. Suits me just fine ;)

Soldato
I always take my lid off when I'm getting petrol. It's just common courtesy so the Dorris at the counter isn't thinking she's about to be involved in an armed robbery!

It is a pain in the ass, especially farting around with taking gear off, putting it somewhere, filling the tank, locking lid away or carrying it, blah blah.

My local Salisbury had a whole new petrol station refit recently and I was rubbing my hands with glee hoping for a "pay at pump" section, did the ******** put one in?? Did they ****!

Either way, as much as I agree it's a PITA and in OP's case he'd already gone to the counter and GIVEN HER MONEY - you would have thought she would realise he wasn't much threat.

Soldato
Well given you are going to need to take off your lid to eat the actual sandwich, why create all the bother? The old bat was right ! Shoulda been off with your head, and not just the helmet ! Heathen !!

Just winding you up of course, hehehehe

Man of Honour
I used to go to my local petrol station without taking my lid off - never caused a fuss. It is pointless considering you're paying for the sandwich and reacted retrospectively. Silly bint.

Back
Top Bottom