"Just stop oil"

Soldato
Yes but what do you not understand if oil is going to decline at the end of this decade, then they will only drill the cheapest/best sites, writing 100 new licenses, or pushing a law that removes the need for licenses, does not make any difference.

The problem is only if you restrict the license, granting infinite licenses does not increase oil use
I understand this, I only comment in this thread when people say that what stop oil are asking for is impossible and totally undeliverable when clearly it is. In reality what we should be doing is massively scaling back any licenses issued which would probably satisfy the just stop oil campaign, licenses the current plans to issue 100’s of new licenses that will increase production in a decade or two’s time exactly the moment we should be hitting carbon neutral is sending out the wrong message when the government need to be 100% behind a decarbonisation of the country.

Soldato
I understand this, I only comment in this thread when people say that what stop oil are asking for is impossible and totally undeliverable when clearly it is. In reality what we should be doing is massively scaling back any licenses issued which would probably satisfy the just stop oil campaign, licenses the current plans to issue 100’s of new licenses that will increase production in a decade or two’s time exactly the moment we should be hitting carbon neutral is sending out the wrong message when the government need to be 100% behind a decarbonisation of the country.

Who has voted for the just stop oil campaign that we need to satisfy them. Let them put forward a manifesto and have candidates stand for election and win. That way they can claim a mandate for action.

Also we are worling towards net zero not absolute zero. If everybody began within their own lives using less energy it would go a long way to not requiring additional extraction. Governments should ensure that there is no possibility of shortages but it is down to you and me to ensure reductions in consumption.

Soldato
Who has voted for the just stop oil campaign that we need to satisfy them. Let them put forward a manifesto and have candidates stand for election and win. That way they can claim a mandate for action.

Also we are worling towards net zero not absolute zero. If everybody began within their own lives using less energy it would go a long way to not requiring additional extraction. Governments should ensure that there is no possibility of shortages but it is down to you and me to ensure reductions in consumption.

As it goes the FPTP system sort of undermines the election point if you ask me. You might as well ask them to lick their own elbows.

Soldato
oil license round was initiated before sunak was pm .

and the click-bate 100 licenses may just enable us to sustain output at current levels and avoid being slaves to opec as they further just reduce supply, to maintain prices,
and finance their own renewables (about 8 of the licenses, earlier link, were unlocking fields worth about 1/3rd of just a years UK total demand)

can become acrimonious in the future with europe too, and reduced access to their energy as they develop storage, so need some autonomy in the sunny uplands,
media items yesterday suggested EU will impose the battery import tax in 2024, which will seriously screw Nissan.

Soldato

Our democracy is broken this idea they should form a party and get elected is hilarious! I also didn’t say we had to satisfy them I said it would satisfy them.

Drilling for the oil in the north sea does next to nothing to satisfy our consumption we export 80% of it because we can’t refine it and don’t use it in the UK.

Last edited:
Soldato
media items yesterday suggested EU will impose the battery import tax in 2024, which will seriously screw Nissan.
They mentioned this morning on the Today programme R4 that under our current deal with the EU we would both be required to put reciprocal taxes on EV because of the domestic production clause. So UK exports to the EU and EU exports to the UK would both be taxed. Apparently there is a school of thought in the EU that this is a good thing as it will incentise companies to develop European based battery industries.

Last edited:
Soldato
They mentioned this morning on the Today programme R4 that under our current deal with the EU we would both be required to put reciprocal taxes on EV because of the domestic production clause. So UK exports to the EU and EU exports to the UK would both be taxed. Apparently there is a school of thought in the EU that this is a good thing as it will incentise companies to develop European based battery industries.

The billionaire Australian mining tycoon and investor Andrew Forrest has led international condemnation of the UK’s new oil rush, saying he would pull his major investment from the country if the prime minister pursued “clickbait” fossil fuel policies.

The iron ore magnate, who also runs the Minderoo Foundation philanthropic organisation, threatened to move his investments out of the UK over Rishi Sunak’s swivel towards new oil and gas drilling.

“I am a major investor here,” Forrest told Bloomberg News on a visit to London. “If I see this country steering itself over a cliff backing fossil fuel, I am going to start pulling out. I will push my investments over to North America … I must invest where I know I have proper leadership, not leadership which is on a clickbait cycle.”

Forrest, one of the wealthiest people in Australia, is a major proponent of green hydrogen where the power is produced from renewables. His Fortescue Future Industries investment vehicle has a cash mountain of billions of dollars and has signed a major deal with JCB, as well as building a factory to produce batteries and electric powertrains for heavy industry vehicles and trains in Oxfordshire.

The prime minister’s announcement that more than 100 new oil and gas drilling licences would be granted for the North Sea in the autumn has sparked condemnation from climate scientists, energy experts and some within his own party.

Last edited:
Soldato
oil license round was initiated before sunak was pm .

and the click-bate 100 licenses may just enable us to sustain output at current levels and avoid being slaves to opec as they further just reduce supply, to maintain prices,
and finance their own renewables (about 8 of the licenses, earlier link, were unlocking fields worth about 1/3rd of just a years UK total demand)

can become acrimonious in the future with europe too, and reduced access to their energy as they develop storage, so need some autonomy in the sunny uplands,
We will remain ‘slaves’ to OPEC until we end our reliance on oil, we export 80% of the oil we extract as we can’t refine it in the UK and don’t use it. I wish people would stop believing the lies.

Man of Honour
I absolutely 100% support the right to protest.

But Just Stop Oil are not doing a good job of furthering their cause with the actions they take - I support their principled right to do it, however.

Contrary to what some believe it isn't "their cause" - they throw some stuff around about the environment and some people who are environment activists, etc. then identify them as "part of their tribe", somehow then automatically believe anything negative about them is lies, slander, someone else at fault and/or have incredible ability to disassociate the negatives.

As Angilion said they'll just move onto the next thing to cause disruption, etc.

There have been several instances for example where JSO have done damage to the environment and/or littered at protest sites and only done anything about it when landowners have gone public about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know it's commented on earlier in the thread, but what I see on a continuing basis is cult-like behaviour. All it takes is a culture change or some bad eggs to get in and things could start to get really ugly with increasing of zealotry.

I get it, if you truly believe this is the only way, then going to extremes is 'justified'.

Soldato
Personally I like what they're doing, I wouldn't do it myself but I strongly believe in environmental causes. Over time as global warming worsens and people look back at times like these it could be similar to looking back on attitudes on race and sex from 50 years ago. I wouldn't boo these people on camera, but that's just my 2 pence.

Soldato
Personally I like what they're doing,
Them preventing cancer patients from attending important hospital appointments? Or perhaps you like it when they prevent new parents from taking their poorly babies to hospital? Or could it be that you like their actions when they block the road and refuse to move for ambulances on emergency jobs and full blues & twos? Which bit is it that you like?

Soldato
Them preventing cancer patients from attending important hospital appointments? Or perhaps you like it when they prevent new parents from taking their poorly babies to hospital? Or could it be that you like their actions when they block the road and refuse to move for ambulances on emergency jobs and full blues & twos? Which bit is it that you like?
Not the blocking roads no, true, but gatecrashing events yes.

Soldato
I find that they can get into and 'gatecrash' events scary. It's admirable up until someone in the group decides orange paint/glitter/smoke/confetti isn't enough.

Back
Top Bottom