"Just stop oil"

Permabanned
They also had to do that to deliver gas when that became a thing. And then again for telephone. And then again for NTL/Telewest/Virgin.

Why are you so anti-progress? Let me guess - old, single?

Oldish, married, the only fix in the available time span to reduce energy demands and emmissions is to reduce the population level, everything else is wishful thinking. But it's taboo. I am far from tech progress averse.

Last edited:
Permabanned
There are loads of good rapid chargers in the south west. Exeter services will be one of the biggest charging hubs in the country once Tesla complete their installation. There are already a whole load of Gridserve 350kw chargers.

How many? And on a charging point number versus time needed on them, versus petrol pump numbers versus time needed on them? :)

Soldato
It's always the same type of people though. If you're a millionaire and go green and it costs 10k a year, it's in the noise. A couple earning minimum wage with kids it's probably more than half their disposable income.
Exactly. If you’ve got a seven or eight figure bank balance, buying a £50K EV just to drive between the hairdressers and Oddbins is sofa change.

Not so much for any working family being told they need to bin their perfectly good ICE car for an EV they can’t afford.

Soldato
Oldish, married, the only fix in the available time span to reduce energy demands and emmissions is to reduce the population level, everything else is wishful thinking. But it's taboo. I am far from tech progress averse.
Na, the way to reduce energy demand is exactly what the WEF have encouraged - massive price rises.

You can't have population decrease as it is the primary driver behind growth. Much bigger things need to break before population decrease becomes a priority. Just look how screwed Japan is.

Soldato
Not so much for any working family being told they need to bin their perfectly good ICE car for an EV they can’t afford.
Literally no one is saying that - and it is generally quite well accepted that keeping what you've got is the most sensible environmental/financial (subject to the maths) decision you can make.

Associate
Autos.png

The first automobile was made in 1886, after a 14 year period of other manufacturers getting in on the act, things swiftly changed.
There are still horses in the world today being used as transport, just like there will be ICE vehicles still roaming the earth.

Will history be as quick to change this time?

pd. that link is taken from an OIl/chemical part of ICIS, the oil/chemical industry could see this coming years ago.

Soldato
Autos.png

The first automobile was made in 1886, after a 14 year period of other manufacturers getting in on the act, things swiftly changed.
There are still horses in the world today being used as transport, just like there will be ICE vehicles still roaming the earth.

Will history be as quick to change this time?

pd. that link is taken from an OIl/chemical part of ICIS
Tragic really. I imagine the density on the left is about 100x what "progress" on the right delivered.

Soldato
How many? And on a charging point number versus time needed on them, versus petrol pump numbers versus time needed on them? :)

12 350kw and a 3 50kw chargers, with plans to add more once more grid is available.

Tesla are adding a super charger station as well, at least 8 stalls, possibly more, for that as well.

There is also another Tesla station just up the road at darts farm which has another 12.

Generally speaking the utilisation of rapid chargers is still pretty low but that’s not to say there are not pinch points, there most certainly are at peak times.

Permabanned
Let's say it takes 10 times longer to charge a car than fill it with petrol or diesel, which I think is very optimistic. To service the same number of vehicles as liquid fuel pumps service a forecourt would need ten times as many charging points as they currently need fuel pumps. Even a piddling little service station in Whitchurch has ten fuel pumps. How many charging points will be needed and how many cars will be all hooked up awaiting their energy boost? Currently (pardon the pun...)it's unworkable.

Soldato
Let's say it takes 10 times longer to charge a car than fill it with petrol or diesel, which I think is very optimistic. To service the same number of vehicles as liquid fuel pumps service a forecourt would need ten times as many charging points as they currently need fuel pumps. Even a piddling little service station in Whitchurch has ten fuel pumps. How many charging points will be needed and how many cars will be all hooked up awaiting their energy boost? Currently (pardon the pun...)it's unworkable.
In the future, why would you drive to a petrol station to refill an electric car? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Soldato

You seem to be missing that you can charge your car at home so only those on long journeys need to use those stations? Its completely workable and it is coming whether you like it or not.

Associate
Tragic really. I imagine the density on the left is about 100x what "progress" on the right delivered.
Well what you imagine and what is reality is different i'm afraid.
1900 human population in new York - 7,283,000 - 100,000 horses in new york/ In every 1000 people, 0.11 owned a car = 801
1913 human population in new york - 9,473,000 - 15,000 horses in new york/ In every 1000 people, 12.94 owned a car = 122,580.62 - the 0.62 must have been sorn'd :D

Time marches on with or without us.

Soldato
Well what you imagine and what is reality is different i'm afraid.
1900 human population in new York - 7,283,000 - 100,000 horses in new york/ In every 1000 people, 0.11 owned a car = 801
1913 human population in new york - 9,473,000 - 15,000 horses in new york/ In every 1000 people, 12.94 owned a car = 122,580.62 - the 0.62 must have been sorn'd :D

Time marches on with or without us.

I mean 10 people in 1 square meter versus 1. Cars are horrendous space hogs and it's depressing how our world revolves around them.

Soldato

As others have pointed out, your logic is flawed as rapid chargers are only generally used for long journeys. 95% of most peoples charging needs are covered by ‘slow’ AC charging at home/work or where they park their car when it is not in use. A lot of EV owners have never used a public charger.

I actually own an EV and as an average I use a rapid charger less than once per month. I’ve also done 500 mile days before you ask.

I have never had an issue with speed or availability. By the time I’ve gone to the toilet and grabbed a drink, the car is done and you get in and drive.

Soldato
Pedantry, they'd become "Recharging Stations" their locations on major roads and in towns would unlikely change, they'd probably just divesify.
What?

Why would you drive to a dedicated forecourt to charge your car?

Literally every parking space/lamp post could be an EV charger. Wireless charging is already available.

You are living in "yesterday", not even "today" - let alone tomorrow.

Permabanned
You seem to be missing that you can charge your car at home so only those on long journeys need to use those stations? Its completely workable and it is coming whether you like it or not.

So how do people in terraced houses and high rise flats charge all their cars? I am sure it's coming and I foresee a nice little earner from them as many garages won't touch them at the moment :)

Soldato
So how do people in terraced houses and high rise flats charge all their cars? I am sure it's coming and I foresee a nice little earner from them as many garages won't touch them at the moment :)
I live in a terraced house and have an EV. I just run the cable like everyone else; using a cable tray --- the street up from me has lovely new pavement drains as well, which a cable tucks into nicely.

Back
Top Bottom