"Just stop oil"

Commissario
I live in a terraced house and have an EV. I just run the cable like everyone else; using a cable tray --- the street up from me has lovely new pavement drains as well, which a cable tucks into nicely.
I live in a semi, we don't have a driveway and between my house and my car is a garden, a tarmac footpath and a large grass verge.

How do I get a cable out to my car without tripping up people walking along the footpath, kids riding their bikes up and down and playing on both the footpath and the verge?

I'm sure these are common questions.

Soldato
I live in a semi, we don't have a driveway and between my house and my car is a garden, a tarmac footpath and a large grass verge.

How do I get a cable out to my car without tripping up people walking along the footpath, kids riding their bikes up and down and playing on both the footpath and the verge?

Using a cable tray - like what has been established as a safe way to have cables over a pavement for decades.

Soldato
If you have a big enough front garden, it’s probably well worth paying for a drop curb to be put in.

The rise of EVs will make houses will off street parking have even more of a premium than they do now.

Soldato
If you have a big enough front garden, it’s probably well worth paying for a drop curb to be put in.

The rise of EVs will make houses will off street parking have even more of a premium than they do now.
They've already priced in 50-75k where I live. Identical houses with drive/without drive.

Soldato
They've already priced in 50-75k where I live. Identical houses with drive/without drive.

Yup, and I’d expect it will get bigger when people realise that they’ll not be able to access the cheapest off peak electricity to fuel their cars on public chargers. That’s on top of not having to deal with the whole public charging thing. EVs are still niche and I really don’t think these things are really in the public mindset yet and as such the premium will get bigger.

Either way at £50-75k premium, you are going to make your money back and then some putting one in if you have enough front garden to park a car.

Permabanned

Paving of residential grassed areas for vehicular parking that previously drained naturally are one of the biggest causes of flooding in built up areas.

Soldato
Paving of residential grassed areas for vehicular parking that previously drained naturally are one of the biggest causes of flooding in built up areas.

You don’t need to pave it, there are loads of different surfaces you can use that are not tarmac/concrete that allow the ground underneath to capture water and support a car. Some even allow stuff to grow in them.

Man of Honour
Na, the way to reduce energy demand is exactly what the WEF have encouraged - massive price rises.

You can't have population decrease as it is the primary driver behind growth. Much bigger things need to break before population decrease becomes a priority. Just look how screwed Japan is.

Sri Lanka has recently had massive price rises in fossil fuels and that has greatly reduced the use of fossil fuels. So yes, in that sense it works.

The resulting suffering also reduces population. So it "works" in that way too. If it's kept up for long enough, you'll have complete civilisation collapse. Which would drastically cut population and the use of everything, so it works extremely well for environmentalism.

I guess the hope is that it will work in the class sense, with the pesky poor being mostly killed off while their superiors are able to weather the massive price rises and can afford to buy expensive new equipment and so on. Pricing as a filter. A selective large reduction in population. It might work in the sense of resulting in a far lower population without collapsing civilisation. If it did, the large reduction in population might even make a renewables-only system viable.

Oh yeah, Sri Lanka's recent success in massive price increases and reducing fossil fuel use:

Soldato
Sri Lanka has recently had massive price rises in fossil fuels and that has greatly reduced the use of fossil fuels. So yes, in that sense it works.

The resulting suffering also reduces population. So it "works" in that way too. If it's kept up for long enough, you'll have complete civilisation collapse. Which would drastically cut population and the use of everything, so it works extremely well for environmentalism.

I guess the hope is that it will work in the class sense, with the pesky poor being mostly killed off while their superiors are able to weather the massive price rises and can afford to buy expensive new equipment and so on. Pricing as a filter. A selective large reduction in population. It might work in the sense of resulting in a far lower population without collapsing civilisation. If it did, the large reduction in population might even make a renewables-only system viable.

Oh yeah, Sri Lanka's recent success in massive price increases and reducing fossil fuel use:

It's the Max Power way

Associate
Using a cable tray - like what has been established as a safe way to have cables over a pavement for decades.
Yes they have been used for decades.

Now I don’t know about other councils but i last looked at my local councils website regarding charging EV cars at home. You can not place a EV charging cable across the public path.

Soldato
Yes they have been used for decades.

Now I don’t know about other councils but i last looked at my local councils website regarding charging EV cars at home. You can not place a EV charging cable across the public path.
A lot of councils are putting their big boy pants on. You should check your insurer will cover you if some ambulance chaser causes an issue though.

Permabanned

Sri Lanka is famed for its tea, presumably they drink its liqour as well as export it, so just bung some bromide in the shredded leaves ;) If it was good enough for our lads in WW1 it's surely passed the WHO criteria by now? ;)

Soldato

Assuming you're lucky enough to be able to park outside your place its very rare that happens here my car is currently 50 yards down the next street. Theres one public charging point at a filling station in this (small) town next to the tyre pump I'd have to get a bus home. The next town is better off there are 3 public charge points in a council car park assuming you'rd be lucky enough to grab the space I guess.

Soldato
Assuming you're lucky enough to be able to park outside your place its very rare that happens here my car is currently 50 yards down the next street. Theres one public charging point at a filling station in this (small) town next to the tyre pump I'd have to get a bus home. The next town is better off there are 3 public charge points in a council car park assuming you'rd be lucky enough to grab the space I guess.
I think the home charging is going to be the biggest issue. I'd say the majority of houses are semi/terraced without drives. What about those with say 4 cars (not uncommon with 2 adult kids), they'd struggle to charge all 4 up if they each did decent miles (going off mine needs topping up every few days).

Soldato
I think the home charging is going to be the biggest issue. I'd say the majority of houses are semi/terraced without drives. What about those with say 4 cars (not uncommon with 2 adult kids), they'd struggle to charge all 4 up if they each did decent miles (going off mine needs topping up every few days).
It’s the other way round, the majority of houses have a suitable place to charge a car but your right that there are significant numbers that don’t.

You would also need to factor in that if you live in a house/flat workout parking, you are far less likely to own a car. The correct measure is car owners with access to charge rather than houses with access to charge.

There are a whole raft of solutions that already exist for those without off street parking, the discussion as ever is about money and who shells out for it.

Back
Top Bottom