"Just stop oil"

Even if your local council allows EV owners to run charging cables to their EV parked on the street and owners can add agree coverage for anyone injured tripping over said cables with their car or home insurer; how many EV owners live in a neighbourhood where said charging cable won’t be disconnected, vandalised or just stolen on a regular basis?

Well for a start, you can’t just steal it or unplug it. The cable interlocks with the car and the charger (if it’s detachable) when in use and doesn’t unlock until you unlock the car. It’s like manufacturers thought of that :p

Sure you could vandalise it but realistically, the thing that’s easy to vandalise is the car it’s self. The paint is far easier to damage than the charging cable and generally it’s very rare that actually happens.

You also can’t just trail cables over the street, you have to use a cable protector as a minimum which are industry standard anti trip devices used literally everywhere. Why would that be a problem?

Some councils will install special cable channels in the pavement which you can put the cable into, that’s the best solution.

And yet cable theft isn’t really a thing anymore, because you know it’s not suspicious at all when you turn up at a scrap yard to weigh in a load of copper cable where you also have to hand over your ID and be paid into your bank account.

If your gonna be a criminal, there are far better ways to do it.

There’s a slight difference between that and nicking a few meters of 4mm cable which has a relatively small amount of copper from someone’s drive…

And yet cable theft isn’t really a thing anymore, because you know it’s not suspicious at all when you turn up at a scrap yard to weigh in a load of copper cable where you also have to hand over your ID and be paid into your bank account.

Things must have changed in the last four years as Network Rail used to regularly report the theft of lineside power and signalling cables.

it's not?

Ah yes one example costing peanuts - case closed, good job
one example? did you even read the article?
Since the start of April there have been 14 thefts in Sheffield and Doncaster, meaning 114 hours of delays for passengers, Network Rail said.
In 2021, there were 89 hours of delays, costing the taxpayer £280,000.
The rising scrap value of cabling was thought to be behind the thefts, with drones, covert cameras and a dedicated security team being used to deter thieves, according to Network Rail.
and the article was posted in may.... how many months are between april and may again? but apparently no one steals cables anymore, because dlockers doesn't see it on his street.

also you claimed no scrap yards take them, somewhere must be clearly

one example? did you even read the article?

and the article was posted in may.... how many months are between april and may again? but apparently no one steals cables anymore, because dlockers doesn't see it on his street.

also you claimed no scrap yards take them, somewhere must be clearly
FOURTEEN!

Stop the revolution boys, we are done for!

It’s the other way round, the majority of houses have a suitable place to charge a car but your right that there are significant numbers that don’t.

You would also need to factor in that if you live in a house/flat workout parking, you are far less likely to own a car. The correct measure is car owners with access to charge rather than houses with access to charge.

This surely is wrong on both counts. Drive through any town or housing estate anywhere in the country and see all the houses/flats with no offstreet parking and with the roads utterly full of parked cars.

I’d love to see any evidence that the majority of houses in the UK have a suitable place to charge a car.

Even if I could reasonably run a cable all the way through my front garden, over the pavement and over the 4m deep grass verge, there’s no guarantee I could park my car there.

It’s all very well suggesting the council cut grooves in the footpath, but what’s the reality of that? They don’t have the resources to fix potholes or broken streetlights. Cutting a groove in the pavement is hardly a priority.

Then there’s the verge to get over.

And the cost. Most households have more than one car, we’ve got three here and that’s the same for every house along my road. How much would it cost us all to replace our cars?

The whole EV thing is a joke. Yes, I’m sure they’re very good but for the majority of people, they’re still nothing more than a pipe dream.

This surely is wrong on both counts. Drive through any town or housing estate anywhere in the country and see all the houses/flats with no offstreet parking and with the roads utterly full of parked cars.

I’d love to see any evidence that the majority of houses in the UK have a suitable place to charge a car.

Even if I could reasonably run a cable all the way through my front garden, over the pavement and over the 4m deep grass verge, there’s no guarantee I could park my car there.

It’s all very well suggesting the council cut grooves in the footpath, but what’s the reality of that? They don’t have the resources to fix potholes or broken streetlights. Cutting a groove in the pavement is hardly a priority.

And the cost. Most households have more than one car, we’ve got three here and that’s the same for every house along my road. How much would it cost us all to replace our cars?

The whole EV thing is a joke. Yes, I’m sure they’re very good but for the majority of people, they’re still nothing more than a pipe dream.
I was going to mention this. I posted earlier, as logically there is going to be more of the cheap house that don't have/or have inadequate off road parking. I know what the figures say, but I don't think they're right :p . I think the home charging thing will be the biggest hurdle to cross.

Well all I can say is that driving down a few streets is nothing more than anecdotal and isn't something you can rely on to form a relevant opinion. A few moments on google will bring up some reports by people who have actually looked into this in detail. :)

Here is the research commissioned by the government. They suggest 1/3 of drivers rely on street parking. https://assets.publishing.service.g...uploads/attachment_data/file/6748/2173483.pdf

The RAC suggest seem to agree https://www.racfoundation.org/media-centre/cars-parked-23-hours-a-day

Here is another research piece that suggests 25% of households don't have a place to charge at home. https://www.field-dynamics.co.uk/25-drivers-no-off-street-parking/

As you say, I'd love to see your evidence to the contrary :)

I never said the grove was the solution for you, I just said some councils were installing them. On the basis that some councils are actually installing them, I'd suggest its very much in the realms of reality. Given councils have clean air targets and the quickest/easiest way to achieve it is to push as many ICE vehicles out of town as possible, it's fair to say it might even be a priority, not that its going to be free, the homeowner will be paying.

Who said anything about replacing your cars? There is no outright ICE ban, only a ban on new ICE vehicles. For a new car the price differential is around £5000 over an equivalent new ICE model, you'd make that difference up in fuel over the first few years of ownership, before accounting for really low depreciation currently.

Prior to 2021, prices were actually dropping for BEV's despite demand outstepping supply. But since COVID demand is out stripping supply by such a margin that the prices are going up very quickly, alongside huge production cost increases for all vehicles. The used market is even worse than the new market IMO, BEV's command a huge premium because people actually want them and there are so few available.

That said in the long term when the vast majority of cars coming to market are BEV, the insane price premium will no longer be a thing because there will more than a few hundred thousand BEV's on the roads to choose from and the market would have matured significantly.

At the end of the day, prices are £LOL because there are so few of them on the roads and demand for them is insane but that doesn't mean that will not change in time. It was only a couple of years ago that BEV's made up 3% of car sales rather than the 15% they are now. Far more than 3% of used car buyers are after a BEV, that is why prices are what they are. Once 70%-80% of new cars hitting the roads are BEV (as they are in Norway) and used ICE cars filter out of the market, the prices will be more sensible.

I was going to mention this. I posted earlier, as logically there is going to be more of the cheap house that don't have/or have inadequate off road parking. I know what the figures say, but I don't think they're right :p . I think the home charging thing will be the biggest hurdle to cross.

It becomes a lot easier if you consider that people who don't own cars are less likely to prioritise somewhere to park a car and those that do own a car are more likely to prioritise having somewhere off the road to park it. Likewise, those that live in inner cities in higher density housing are less likely to drive because they just don't need to. There is a 10+% price premium on a like for like property with a drive at the end of the day, why pay it if you don't need it.

I'm not convinced it's 5k difference, my research says like for like is more like 10k. Looking at something like Micra to a leaf, for the same trim level it'd about 10k.

Last edited:
Last time I checked the electricity board wanted £20.000 to bring 3 phase onto my house property, and that's if I myself dug the trench from the road to where the metering equipment would reside.

Putting the majority of domestic and commercial properties on 3 phase supplies would be astronomically expensive and disruptive.

Until I can recharge a vehicle in the same time frame I can fill a petrol or diesel vehicle's tank and then get the same uninterrupted driving range to me electric vehicles are of no interest whatsoever.

The national grid is creaking and groaning as it is without every Tom, Dick and Harry plugging in high current drains to charge huge batteries. ICE rules for me :)

Anti-change and self-entitled much!!

On the charging side - it only take a small shift in your habits to fit an EV into your life.
On your Grid view - sounds like you’ve been reading too much Daily Mail.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom