Knife Thread

Soldato
Who said anything about Japanese knifes? Lets be honest - most people just want a sharp knife and that's it. 99% of people aren't going to get all worked up over whether a blade is sharpened at 15 degrees or 20 degrees. Almost certainly no one will know the difference.

Sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer with my original question - Im looking to get my Japanese knives professionally sharpened at the correct angle :p

Not having a go at you booyaka btw

Soldato
not answering your question, but I have been disappointed by my whetstone results (sharpness for the time investment)
had bookmarked some earlier discussiion in this thread on the knife wizard electric sharpener ke198, not so cheap £70, but I could be convinced for xmas present
I use maybe 6 wusthof+sebatier knives regularly and using a whetstone becomes laborious (steeling regularly too of course) apparently ke198 is 17degrees.
catrahone are interesting too

Associate
not answering your question, but I have been disappointed by my whetstone results (sharpness for the time investment)
had bookmarked some earlier discussiion in this thread on the knife wizard electric sharpener ke198, not so cheap £70, but I could be convinced for xmas present
I use maybe 6 wusthof+sebatier knives regularly and using a whetstone becomes laborious (steeling regularly too of course) apparently ke198 is 17degrees.
catrahone are interesting too

I have the knife wizard, it’s great. It won’t get your knives razor sharp, but will give a good sharp working edge.

Associate
If you don't let knives get into a terrible state edge wise it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to bring them back to shaving sharp on some good water stones.
I use a 1k/3k combo stone to keep my kitchen knives in tip top condition. Stones up to 10k grit if I want to make them scarey sharp :D
Here's a few pics of a kitchen slicer I finished up yesterday and is off to it's new home today.

Xv4S5Ps.jpg
ZVsAdy5.jpg
y7oDxb7.jpg
Lr3xSxG.jpg
8OjrTdA.jpg

Soldato
There is a company local to me that does mobile sharpening but just wanted to check with any of you guys in the know whether or not they look like they'll do a good job? One thing I noticed in the photos is that they dont use a wet stone but a bench grinder instead? Is that the correct method? Here is the website - https://www.thebladedoctor.co.uk/page_3593029.html

A lot of places use bench/belt grinders. The only issues are getting the angle right if it's done by hand, and not overheating the edge of the blade as that can soften it and mean it doesn't hold the edge as long and needs sharpening much sooner. If they have the skill and experience, they should be able to do a good job.

Edit: Just noticed you are wanting to get your Japanese knives done. Oooh, I'd be having second thoughts of giving something special/expensive to a man with a grinding wheel.

Last edited:
Soldato
noticed in the photos is that they dont use a wet stone but a bench grinder instead?
touch of cynicism already in your comment -
despite the fact their picture shows some global knives, absence of multiple grinder wheels discussion of the process, something for stropping/polishing ...
and the cost £4 (maybe it is a gift horse) would put me off ...but of course I defer to whatever mrperywinkle may say.

edit :saw a imhop more credible service localish to me - they list restaurants they service, so asking local restaurant maybe an option ?

Last edited:
Soldato
edit :saw a imhop more credible service localish to me - they list restaurants they service, so asking local restaurant maybe an option ?

Knives sharpened using traditional methods and technology developed by the Cutlery and Allied Trades Research Association (CATRA).

So I guess they have one of the CATRA industrial sharpeners? If they really know what they are doing, maybe one of the ones with adjustable sharpening angles?

I've actually got one of the Catrahones on it's way to me for domestic use, so I'll post impressions at some point.

Soldato
Yes , I linked to a catrahones domestic ~£70 a few posts back
- one(the?) video on their site showing someone cutting on a dam piece of marble made me cry/laugh

Soldato
Yes , I linked to a catrahones domestic ~£70 a few posts back
- one(the?) video on their site showing someone cutting on a dam piece of marble made me cry/laugh

Yes, I noticed that too. On their website they actually say:

Q18 : Why do knives become blunt

This may sound a silly question, but in fact its not. In the case of most domestic and professionally used knives for cooking, virtually all of the loss of sharpness is as a result of damage and edge rounding to the cutting edge caused by contact with items you don't want to cut. These are other knives and implements in washing, dishwashing and storing( always use a knife block or rack, never a drawer with loose knives in it). Cutting boards are a major source of damage, when the blade is forced down on to it, try to cut if possible with only the tip of the blade contacting the board, the worse possible boards are glass and granite ( they never should have been invented !) Plastic chopping boards are ok, wooden boards are better and generally cause slight less damage than plastic also they have a natural bactericide which keeps them infection free. Paper or cardboard cutting boards are now available which are disposable and reduce cross infection between foods as they a low cost and many boards may be used and then discarded. They have a similar wear effect on the knife as that of wood.

I suspect their new video on Youtube was done by some advertising company who used the granite chopping board to make the whole thing look nice. You can search for the old video, and you can almost see the narrator's flat cap and whippet.

Soldato
I do. This one was my first attempt at a hamon. Clayed the spine for a differential heat treat. 1095 carbon steel. 6 etching and polishing cycles to bring out the hamon.
Looks great, I bet you hate letting them go after all that work :p. I made a bushcraft knife and even that took a hell of a lot of work. The heat treating was the only bit I wasnt happy with as after all that work it could all be for nothing if it doesn't harden properly.

I was using a bbq with briquettes and a shopvac on the blow setting forcing air from underneath, then when the steel was no longer magnetic i quenched it in oil. Which seemed to work pretty well, but its probably a bit basic compared to using a kiln set to the correct temp.

Do you know of any services in the UK that will harden an o1 tool steel blank, or is that something you'd consider doing? I'm tempted to have another go in the summer using a thinner blank.

Associate
Looks great, I bet you hate letting them go after all that work :p. I made a bushcraft knife and even that took a hell of a lot of work. The heat treating was the only bit I wasnt happy with as after all that work it could all be for nothing if it doesn't harden properly.

I was using a bbq with briquettes and a shopvac on the blow setting forcing air from underneath, then when the steel was no longer magnetic i quenched it in oil. Which seemed to work pretty well, but its probably a bit basic compared to using a kiln set to the correct temp.

Do you know of any services in the UK that will harden an o1 tool steel blank, or is that something you'd consider doing? I'm tempted to have another go in the summer using a thinner blank.

I'd be happy to do it for you if you cover postage costs.
Some I've really not wanted to let go once they are done hahaha.

Soldato
Awesome, thanks :), i'll cover your time as well. It will be a while off yet as its too cold to venture into the shed at the moment. I'll give you a bell nearer the time.

Soldato
I got the Lanksy kit a few years ago as a result of a recommendation on here and I can't fault it. Simple to use, excellent edges (I can run it up my arm and take hairs off, that's my usual check. Oh, and make sure it snags on the back of my thumbnail). If you're willing to spend ten minutes on a blade to get a razor edge, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Soldato
I'll second the lansky, especially for the money. I got mine last christmas and its been very good. I used to try on a whetstone but came to the conclusion I was too cack handed to maintain a consistent angle. The lansky kit and stand makes sharpening a lot more idiot proof.

Don't bother with the lansky strop: its too narrow. Get something like this instead: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pieces-Lea...5PBH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513791240&sr=8-3

I've taken to stropping my main knives with that paddle and compound every time they've been washed up and its certainly helping keep that razor edge longer.

Back
Top Bottom