Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Soldato
Had mine lasted in 2011 when I was 29 with Optical Express (Forces discount…)

12 years later and it’s still absolutely perfect. I do get halos around lights at night, especially LED’s, but that’s a small price to pay for perfect vision.

I usually forget I ever had it done in the first place, and that perfect vision isn’t normal…

I was a specky 4 eyes/contacts wearer for many years, but it was during Telic wearing body armour, helmet etc in that heat. Heat, sweat - my helmet would make wearing glasses difficult, glasses would steam up and they also got knocked about a lot - it was just one more thing to look after. I swore i would sort laser surgery when i got home!

Optimax had an offer that no matter your prescription, it was a set price - none of this "from £xx per eye" and when you get there due to your prescription, the price doubles.

So, took advantage of the offer and used my Op Bonus to pay for it :) Didn't know they did Forces discount though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone had it done from a hoghstreet type place, or is it always best to go for a dedicated clinic?

Definitely best to go to a dedicated clinic. Also pick a surgeon that does laser eye surgery all the time (rather than all forms of eye surgeries). Get consultation at several places to make sure they all agree you're suitable.

Soldato
Definitely best to go to a dedicated clinic. Also pick a surgeon that does laser eye surgery all the time (rather than all forms of eye surgeries). Get consultation at several places to make sure they all agree you're suitable.
That sounds like solid advice. Just need to plan in when to get a consultation :cry: .

Soldato
My distance has been poor since I hit my 20s so I lived with glasses, hit my late 40s then noticed I needed to remove my glasses for reading. Now in my fifties I need two pairs of specs, one for distance, one for computer work but reading is fine, it’s the only time I don’t need glasses

So, when you start to hit the reading glasses age your lens begins to tighten up and isn't as flexible. Myopia is an increase of reading power, so this lack of flexibility actually improves your ability to read.

If you have the right amount of low myopia, some doctors recommend never correcting it as you can avoid reading glasses well into your 60s! You may also find your distance vision gets better as well.

Last edited:
Associate
So, when you start to hit the reading glasses age your lens begins to tighten up and isn't as flexible. Myopia is an increase of reading power, so this lack of flexibility actually improves your ability to read.

If you have the right amount of low myopia, some doctors recommend never correcting it as you can avoid reading glasses well into your 60s! You may also find your distance vision gets better as well.
I’m pretty sure I’ll never need reading and if the distance improves that will be a bonus

Associate

Pretty much what's happened to my Mum. She had something like -1.25 myopia, but is now needing glasses less and less with age. Meanwhile my Dad, who has had excellent 20/20 vision all his life, is donning specs for close-up reading frequently.

As for me with -4.25 myopia, I can't hope for age to sort that. I absolutely hate specs; it's a struggle to go even a few hours with them, but I've been wearing contacts since I was about 15. They've been fantastic (and still are) though regretting over-wearing them a few years back as have since had symptoms of giant papillary conjunctivitis. Now I work from home a lot so wear specs until about lunch time, and make sure I don't over-wear my monthly contacts now, which keeps that in check.

Seen a few things about those who have had laser eye surgery really regretting it, including those who are pumping thousands into treatment for their laser eye surgery side effects, and wearing moisture goggles and all sorts. There was a weather woman in the US who became a completely different person apparently and then killed herself citing the pain from her laser eye surgery. I remember back when I worked for NHS 111 a guy called us up having had laser eye surgery, and on removing his packing the vision in one of his eyes was distorted. The swearing under his breath gave away his panic as he reported this to us.

I recall claims about 'satisfaction surveys' being done very shortly after laser eye surgery, with like 97% satisfaction rates . The problem is the nerves in the cornea take a few months to grow back into the new lens, and that's when people can really have problems.

Like the weather woman who offed herself due to the neuropathic pain, I can sort of relate just through the experience with contact lenses. If they're over-worn / dried out / manked up and in need of a clean, it affects you completely. I've gone from thinking I'm knackered at 9pm, then given my contact lenses a rinse and refresh, and suddenly I'm okay to be wide awake until the early hours of the morning.

Personally I'm not seriously considering laser eye surgery at this time. Only if society collapses and contact lenses become unavailable will I really be regretting not sorting my eyes :cry:

Soldato
Pretty much what's happened to my Mum. She had something like -1.25 myopia, but is now needing glasses less and less with age. Meanwhile my Dad, who has had excellent 20/20 vision all his life, is donning specs for close-up reading frequently.

As for me with -4.25 myopia, I can't hope for age to sort that. I absolutely hate specs; it's a struggle to go even a few hours with them, but I've been wearing contacts since I was about 15. They've been fantastic (and still are) though regretting over-wearing them a few years back as have since had symptoms of giant papillary conjunctivitis. Now I work from home a lot so wear specs until about lunch time, and make sure I don't over-wear my monthly contacts now, which keeps that in check.

Seen a few things about those who have had laser eye surgery really regretting it, including those who are pumping thousands into treatment for their laser eye surgery side effects, and wearing moisture goggles and all sorts. There was a weather woman in the US who became a completely different person apparently and then killed herself citing the pain from her laser eye surgery. I remember back when I worked for NHS 111 a guy called us up having had laser eye surgery, and on removing his packing the vision in one of his eyes was distorted. The swearing under his breath gave away his panic as he reported this to us.

I recall claims about 'satisfaction surveys' being done very shortly after laser eye surgery, with like 97% satisfaction rates . The problem is the nerves in the cornea take a few months to grow back into the new lens, and that's when people can really have problems.

Like the weather woman who offed herself due to the neuropathic pain, I can sort of relate just through the experience with contact lenses. If they're over-worn / dried out / manked up and in need of a clean, it affects you completely. I've gone from thinking I'm knackered at 9pm, then given my contact lenses a rinse and refresh, and suddenly I'm okay to be wide awake until the early hours of the morning.

Personally I'm not seriously considering laser eye surgery at this time. Only if society collapses and contact lenses become unavailable will I really be regretting not sorting my eyes :cry:

My eyes are -0.5 and -0.75. If I were to correct them, it'd be for the bloody astigmatism more than anything else.

As for laser eye surgery, the tech is always advancing and with more recent LASEK treatments you can create flaps so thin that they do actually heal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom