Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

It’s not just putting them on, it’s keeping them clean and damage free, choosing them, going to the opticians etc, remembering to keep them with you if you only need them occasional. Just faff I’d rather not worry about.

Whats life changing about it? Genuinely curious, not trolling.

Not needing new glasses for a change in prescriptions, not needing prescription sunglasses, not having to find some first thing every day, not having to deal with condensation when in hot/humid conditions, going to the gym/pool without worrying about sweating or losing them, and the best one - having people ask “how can you read that?” Which even after 13 years still makes me chuckle.

Best 2 grand I ever spent.

Been wearing glasses for well over 30 years and I really want to have it done as I'm just so sick of wearing glasses and I've never got on with contacts.

The 30 years of wearing glasses implies you're old enough or soon will be for presbyopia to start being a significant issue and even with laser surgery you'll be needing reading glasses some of the time.

That stage of life is another case where contacts are good as you can get multi-focal and even toric multi-focal with astigmatism correction, but if you don't get on with them then glasses are the order of the day until cataracts/eye issues means you need IOLs which can also be multifocal.

The 30 years of wearing glasses implies you're old enough or soon will be for presbyopia to start being a significant issue and even with laser surgery you'll be needing reading glasses some of the time.

That stage of life is another case where contacts are good as you can get multi-focal and even toric multi-focal with astigmatism correction, but if you don't get on with them then glasses are the order of the day until cataracts/eye issues means you need IOLs which can also be multifocal.
My near vision has improved to a point that it's clearer if I just look at close things without glasses. My normal short sighted prescription is about 2.25 I think

My near vision has improved to a point that it's clearer if I just look at close things without glasses. My normal short sighted prescription is about 2.25 I think

If you are -2.25D (its negative for myopia) then yes the short sight compensates for presbyopia but if you have laser correction then you will struggle more with close up vision which will worsen with age and hence the need for reading glasses or multi-focal contacts. I mention this as I've known some people shocked to end up needing readers in middle age after having laser surgery younger in life despite their vision still being perfect at mid to long range.

Many people aren't aware just how much ability to focus up close deteriorates from a few years old when we can focus at 5cm or less to 1 to 2 metres at old age :(.

The fact I didn't have to faff about with glasses or contact lenses, plus perfect vision.

My Grandad had it done as one of the very first early adopters (early 90's) and ended up with burst blood vessels later in life and was basically blind.

For me Contacts and glasses will do me. Just the thought of being blind later in life puts me off as the whole surgery is still very young. Iirc the first laser eye surgery was done in 1988 and there is next to zero evidence of the long term effects of messing with your eyes.

I can put a set of contacts in my eyes in less than a minute and keep them in my pocket. All I need is access to a tap to wash my hands or even a set of wet wipes will do.

Last edited:
My Grandad had it done as one of the very first early adopters (early 90's) and ended up with burst blood vessels later in life and was basically blind.

For me Contacts and glasses will do me. Just the thought of being blind later in life puts me off as the whole surgery is still very young. Iirc the first laser eye surgery was done in 1988 and there is next to zero evidence of the long term effects of messing with your eyes.

Was there evidence that the surgery affected his blood vessels and not just one of the issues that occurs with age in some people?

While I agree any eye surgery has some risk, the risk of outside eye (laser eye correction) is extremely low. Front of the inside of the eye (IOLs for cataracts) is a little more risky but still very few issues for the vast amount of surgeries. It's only rear of the inside of the eye (vitrectomy for retinal detachment, bleeding etc) has significant risk due to maintaining inter ocular pressure via fluid loss replacement during surgery and the inherent eye issue being fixed.

However I do agree laser vision correction surgery does have some minor downsides, from some methods leaving more corneal damage than others (the cornea never heals fully which makes accidental damage more likely) to it really being best in younger people before presbyopia becomes significant and you're back to glasses some of the time (or multifocal contacts).

Was there evidence that the surgery affected his blood vessels and not just one of the issues that occurs with age in some people?

While I agree any eye surgery has some risk, the risk of outside eye (laser eye correction) is extremely low. Front of the inside of the eye (IOLs for cataracts) is a little more risky but still very few issues for the vast amount of surgeries. It's only rear of the inside of the eye (vitrectomy for retinal detachment, bleeding etc) has significant risk due to maintaining inter ocular pressure via fluid loss replacement during surgery and the inherent eye issue being fixed.

However I do agree laser vision correction surgery does have some minor downsides, from some methods leaving more corneal damage than others (the cornea never heals fully which makes accidental damage more likely) to it really being best in younger people before presbyopia becomes significant and you're back to glasses some of the time (or multifocal contacts).

No evidence no but also no history in family either bar him having it done. My only concern is lack of long term viability which is yet to be seen and cannot be seen until early adopters become old. As in how does the surgery effect in long term. It is most likely going to be okay but it was a risk I just wasn't going to take.

Only place contacts become a problem is on beaches and swimming pools which is most likely a good thing being able not to see long distance!

I see so many sportsmen like rally drivers and F1 drivers who wear contacts/glasses as well as footballers and they have the best doctors around them.

Last edited:
No evidence no but also no history in family either bar him having it done. My only concern is lack of long term viability which is yet to be seen and cannot be seen until early adopters become old. As in how does the surgery effect in long term. It is most likely going to be okay but it was a risk I just wasn't going to take.

Only place contacts become a problem is on beaches and swimming pools which is most likely a good thing being able not to see long distance!

I see so many sportsmen like rally drivers and F1 drivers who wear contacts/glasses as well as footballers and they have the best doctors around them.

Sportsmen wouldn't take the permanent risk while they're actively playing. What happens after may be a different story.

Back
Top Bottom