LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Just be aware that the GU10 bulbs they sell on LightRabbit aren't NXTGEN ones that they list them as. They are their own brand, but they did say they were made in the same factory. They also list it as version III, yet the box I received are version II and when I asked about it they said their manager told them to sell off all the version II ones, but they are the exact same product :rolleyes:.

I was tempted to send them back, but having tested them they give out a good amount of light for 5w each and the colour is perfect for me. I've had them on as much as possible since I bought them and they seem good so far. First sign of any flickering and they are all going back for a full refund.

Soldato
I noticed Ikea have a LED bulb for £10
Seems decent, this is just a conventional socket bulb. I'll post up the review of it when Ive scanned it in

Also amazon list led bulbs, if you're wanting to try for the quality that is probably a far better bet then ebay for returning non goers

Associate
Lidl have a small selection of bulbs. I picked up a couple of 3W SES/E14 Gold ball bulbs yesterday. 2 for £9.
They are slightly whiter than the 28W halogens they are replacing, but not really any difference brightness wise. I'm quite happy with them and will get some more.

They had GU10s and ES too. But I don't recall seeing bayonets.

Soldato
Contradicting requirements.
You cannot have the best of both worlds unfortunately.

I am still searching for an answer myself btw.

I think my point is I don't want to spend £1.99 delivered on one from China that looks like something from the 1970's on Joe 90 and only shines downward ...

If you have to spend more than that, fair enough. Is there an easy way to work the payback period on something like that?

Permabanned
The payback period is never a fixed time period because it depends how often you have the light turned on.
As an example however

a 50w bulb used 8 hours per day every day = 400w of electricity used every day.
a 5w LED used 8 hours per day every day = 40w of electricty used every day
so a saving of 360w per day or 2520w per week or 10800 per month or 131400 per year

If you pay 14p per KW you would be saving
5p per day
35p per week
£1.51 per month
£18.40 per year

However use the lights less often or use them dimmed and the savings obviously decrease somewhat.

Soldato
Hi guys after some advice

A couple of my old ccfl candle bulbs have blown and im looking at replacing them with leds, Ive used led bulbs in spotlights and bedside lights in the past love and love them the issue ive got is the ex wife decided she wanted chandelier type lighting in the lounge and at the moment at least im stuck with them. However this means that they are uplight bulbs like this

http://www.mailorderlighting.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1288715297-36213200.jpg

Will leds work ok with this style holders and if so are there any recommendations I have two lights each with 5 bulbs in at either end of the lounge/diner but normally only have one light or the other on but 10 bulbs will rack the cost up quite a lot I suspect, are the ebay ones any good?

Associate
Will leds work ok with this style holders and if so are there any recommendations I have two lights each with 5 bulbs in at either end of the lounge/diner but normally only have one light or the other on but 10 bulbs will rack the cost up quite a lot I suspect, are the ebay ones any good?

Just check what type of base your lights are (B22, E14, E27 etc) and check in an LED shop online for the correct base and light output you want.

Permabanned
finally got round to getting some LEDs fitted.
some before and after pics below
I bought 12 x 4w 120 degree and 2 x 5w 60 degree (these were more expensive so wanted to see what they looked like before I jumped in with 2 feet and ordered loads)
these are the 2 bulbs I bought
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/gu10-smd-led-220-lumens-45-watts-equiv-best-internet-price.html

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/new-5-watt-gu10-led-bulb-wide-beam-angle.html

Kitchen before with halogens
IMAG0039_zpsa3be1ded.jpg

Kitchen after with 4w leds fitted
IMAG0044_zps9028df23.jpg

comparison between 2 x 4w 3000k on left and 2 x 5w 2800k on right
IMAG0046_zps42baf220.jpg

Front room now,
2 x 5w LED closer to the wall vs 2 x halogen closer to the camera
IMAG0050_zps6cae4c95.jpg

front room dimmed
you can clearly see the halogens are a lot dimmer, on the right are the 2 5w LED bulbs from led hut and the other 2 bright bulbs are some cheapo ones I got form homebase that I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am sat here now with the lights dimmed and the homebase ones are buzzing slightly, and the led hut ones are silent :)
IMAG0047_zps718bb987.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I also saw them at the Bristol store, Duracell Lighting 5w LED GU10 Bulb - Dimmable version, Warm White,Beam angle was a bit tight at 30 degrees, might be ok, would have preferred say 60 degrees.

Have more time tomorrow, so I will pop back into Asda for a closer look, & see if they offer a Cool White version.

They also had Duracell LED GU10 Non Dimmable on the shelf.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom