LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
People put downlights in hallways now? :p

They're becoming too ubiquitous. Sometimes a proper old school light fitting, something a bit classy or decorative, is just better.

Sad isn't it.:D

I have just marked out my hallway ceiling for LED downlighters, just couldn't find any 'old school' flush fittings I like, plus one existing light fitting over the stairwell is high up, you need rope & crampons to change the bulb:(, so led is the obvious choice.

Last edited:
Associate
He fitted it to a newly built staircase.

I'm really interested in this but am not sure how it would integrate into my existing stair case. Particularly the depth required for each light and the wire space.

This there is cable runs EVERYWHERE the poor stair builder almost was crying to route cables through the actual posts! some very very hard cable routing as well. 1 took me 2 hours to route!

Soldato
True, but Wesytfield reviewed them not but a few months ago, so they can't be old old units? Plus it was a glowing review.

But happy to be pointed to other units?
They aren't the cheap multi led units though. (Or are they just in a fancier wrapper? )

Permabanned
was in homebase earlier and they have a twin pack of warm white LEDs on offer for 11.98
rubbish
supposedly dimmable, they buzz really loudly, the beam angle is 30 degrees and gives a noticeable spot compared to halogen.
the colour temp is 3000k which is ok.
Can't take them back as they are in that stupid heat sealed packaging that you have to destroy to open :(

Soldato
was in homebase earlier and they have a twin pack of warm white LEDs on offer for 11.98
rubbish
supposedly dimmable, they buzz really loudly, the beam angle is 30 degrees and gives a noticeable spot compared to halogen.
Can't take them back as they are in that stupid heat sealed packaging that you have to destroy to open :(

Not fit for their purpose, take them back, you had to remove them from heat sealed plastic to use them, but it wouldn't stop me complaining, & getting a refund if they are crap.

Last edited:
Soldato
rubbish

The buzzing is due to the dimmer module. You need a dedicated one for LEDs... eg: http://www.varilight.co.uk/products/vpro.html

Soldato
The buzzing is due to the dimmer module. You need a dedicated one for LEDs... eg: http://www.varilight.co.uk/products/vpro.html

You are correct, was too early for me posting, over looked that point, but I was given a couple of cheap dimmable led lamps & even using the correct trailing edge dimmer, they still had a distinctive buzz when used.:(
Probably down to cheap parts used.

Misread read op post properly.:o

Soldato
You are correct, was too early for me posting, over looked that point, but I was given a couple of cheap dimmable led lamps & even using the correct trailing edge dimmer, they still had a distinctive buzz when used.:(
Probably down to cheap parts used.

Misread read op post properly.:o

Wow, so even with a good dimmer the bulbs/LEDs were buzzing? Yuck!

Soldato
Can someone spec me a controller for my rgb led strips please. Looking for just a basic one. The lights Wi be switching at a normal wall switch and would want default colour to be white.

Soldato
I really want to replace the 8 x 75W 63mm wide halogens in our kitchen. The problem is due to the wide size (63mm) I can only find one type

Couple of questions:

1, Are the LED wires / tags that are dotted all over the bulb really noticeable? I can see myself / other people walking into the kitchen and thinking they look very odd.

2, When they say not dimmable, does this mean just with a standard dimmer? Would a trailing edge LED suitable dimmer be ok?

Anyone else got any 63mm wide LEDs?

Cheers

Soldato
No need to to use a equivalent R63 lamp nowadays.

A lot of LED lamps are 50mm-56mm width (R50) compared to 63mm of a R63 lamp.

You can't use an ordinary dimmer with LED lamp, it has to be a trailing edge dimmer, they offer silent running, soft start, & many other features.

Also look for PAR20 LED lamps, same thing & size as a R63 lamp & a direct replacement.

Last edited:
Soldato
No need to to use a equivalent R63 lamp nowadays.

A lot of LED lamps are 50mm-56mm width (R50) compared to 63mm of a R63 lamp.
Thanks will take a look, all depends if they fit in our large downlight fittings.

You can't use an ordinary dimmer with LED lamp, it has to be a trailing edge dimmer, they offer silent running, soft start, & many other features.
Ok, but when the spec of an LED says 'Not Dimmable', is this relating to standard dimmers or also the new trailing edge ones? Eg are some LED lamps not dimmable regardless of what type of dimmer you have?
Also look for PAR20 LED lamps, same thing & size as a R63 lamp & a direct replacement.
Cheers, will do.

Thanks very much for you help :)

Soldato
Should have made myself clearer, sorry.

There are usually two versions of LED lamps dimmable & non dimmable.

Dimmable: you have to use a Trailing Edge dimmer,these are special dimmers for led lamps.

Non Dimmable: totally undimmable.

I always prefer to buy dimmable versions, as it allow you to set the light level needed, plus the trailing edge dimmer usually as a soft start feature, which makes life easier for the led lamp when you switch on.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Should have made myself clearer, sorry.

There are usually two versions of LED lamps dimmable & non dimmable.

Dimmable: you have to use a Trailing Edge dimmer,these are special dimmers for led lamps.

Non Dimmable: totally undimmable.

I always prefer to buy dimmable versions, as it allow you to set the light level needed, plus the trailing edge dimmer usually as a soft start feature, which makes life easier for the led lamp when you switch on.

If I have a dimmer switch with soft-start does that mean it will be trailing edge ?

I was told (quite some time ago) that halogens will blow dimmer switches unless you get the correct type of dimmer switch (one with soft start), so I bought a double dimmer with soft start and have no idea if it is trailing edge or not (anyway to work this out ?)

Back
Top Bottom