LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Maybe.
Trailing Edge dimmer can also be used with incandescent GLS lamps & GU10 Halogen lamps.

What make is the dimmer, got a model number, google them will tell you.

Last edited:
Permabanned
http://www.lightrabbit.co.uk/true-retro-fit-gu10-led-bulb-5watt-450-lumens.html

Are these bulbs any good for use in a bedroom in warm white? Someone posted that they got some NxtGen II bulbs earlier in the thread and seemed to like them.

£25.86 for 3 bulbs with a 15% off code seems pretty good.

also going to get a dimmer switch and light fitting, but not sure of the best place for them yet.

Just tried to order but website won't let me at work. Will defo be ordering a few when I get home though.

Soldato
LED goodness was delivered today. Got them in as soon as it was dark!
I like them, bit whiter than the halogens, but that's not bad thing really, yellow glow seems to come of the yellow wall and slightly off white cupboards, so just about the right warmth really.
One thing in the Halogens favour is they have a 'collar' that lets light our around the shank of them, so get some nice light spill from there the LEDs dont have.

Galaxy S3 camera, hopefully captures the difference (if any)

4*50W Halogens
Q2EvKIO.jpg

2*50W Halogens -RIGHT SIDE + 2*5W VWW GU10 nxtGEN Series II LEDs -LEFT SIDE
zj5EZVH.jpg

4*5W VWW GU10 nxtGEN Series II LEDs
2xF1d9h.jpg

Permabanned
Maybe.
Trailing Edge dimmer can also be used with incandescent GLS lamps & GU10 Halogen lamps.

What make is the dimmer, got a model number, google them will tell you.

Forgot about this,

Just dug the dimmer out and a google search brings up very little
It is an MK UK switch, only thing on it that looks like a model number is 52054SL

Then they have a sticker on the side with F0832 on it.

Googling any of the above turns up very little
min Load 40W/VA
Max load 300W/240VA
2 way switches

Soldato
Forgot about this,

Just dug the dimmer out and a google search brings up very little
It is an MK UK switch, only thing on it that looks like a model number is 52054SL

Then they have a sticker on the side with F0832 on it.

Googling any of the above turns up very little
min Load 40W/VA
Max load 300W/240VA
2 way switches

Just looking the 'LOAD' figures it's not a trailing edge dimmer.
You could never meet the minimum load figure with LED's for it to work properly.

Trailing edge dimmer minimum & maximum load is around 10-100 watts.

Last edited:
Permabanned
cool, good to know ta.

I'll check the existing dimmers then and see if they are trailing edge or not.

Has anyone actually found an halogen replacement LED they are 100% happy with in this thread, I have read most of it and to be honest I think I am more lost than when I started
Ignorance is bliss *sigh* ;)

Soldato
Has anyone actually found an halogen replacement LED they are 100% happy with in this thread, I have read most of it and to be honest I think I am more lost than when I started
Ignorance is bliss *sigh* ;)

The ones I bought. Don't use them with a dimmer though, don't plan to. And can't give long term results yet!

Soldato
Just tried to order but website won't let me at work. Will defo be ordering a few when I get home though.

If you haven't already ordered, you can go through Quidco for an extra 10% off. I didn't expect it to work with their 15% off voucher, but it has tracked.

That works out at £7.75 each inc free delivery, from a Uk seller. Not much more than the dodgy ebay ones from china and hopefully a lot better quality.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If you haven't already ordered, you can go through Quidco for an extra 10% off. I didn't expect it to work with their 15% off voucher, but it has tracked.

That works out at £7.75 each inc free delivery, from a Uk seller. Not much more than the dodgy ebay ones from china and hopefully a lot better quality.

I haven't ordered yet no.
Got home and realised money might not be as abundant as I thought.

Have in total either 16 or 18 in the kitchen (of which 5 have already been replaced with LEDs) a further 8 in the front room, and also in the front room we have 2 x traditional light fittings each with 3 40 or 50w bulbs in them.

Missus really didn't like the dimmed colour (and I wasn't keen) with the LEDs.
In the kitchen it won't really matter, but in the living room the colour is important, the main lights aren't dimmed so they can be replaced with 2800/3000k bulbs, however the spots I could do with finding an LED bulb that is warmer than 2800k and dimmable.

Soldato
Well my bulbs have arrived and on the box it says GEN-II, rather than III as stated on the website :rolleyes:. They are also just in a plain white box with the name of the website (lightrabbit) on the box. Are genuine Nxtgen lights in retail packaging? Says something about a commercial sample on the packaging, so might be why.

EDIT: Pretty sure these aren't even genuine nxtgen lights as they have 24 leds rather than 22. It's such a minefield trying to find some decent led lights at a good price. Will be sending these back as I paid with paypal and checked the pay after delivery option so the money doesn't leave my account for 14 days.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have just installed 4x4w cool LED Hut GU10s in my kitchen. Impressed with them but think I'd of preferred a warmer, more halogen colour. Will order a few and compare.

Associate
I have a 28w 2d (4pin) bulkhead light in my bathroom I would like to replace with an led bulb. A quick google tells me I need to bypass the ballast before fitting the bulb. Is there any reason I can use and 18w led which is a 38w equivalent? Where is best to buy it from? I'm thinking cool white for a bathroom is probably best?

Cheers

Dave

Associate
Seems a bit unnecessary to replace the fitting as the led one is the same size/shape just doesn't have a ballast, I can easily disconnect it.

I was just wondering if the more powerful led equivalent would cause a problem? I wouldn't have thought so as it draws less power than the non led unit it would be replacing and it shouldn't generate as much heat either.

Also where is a good shop to get one from? Led hut only sells 12watt ones a I'm after an 18watt one.

Dave

Associate
Cheers for that, just watched a YouTube video and it looked easy enough to bypass the ballast, annoying I have just looked in my light fitting and realised the video was for a 2 pin not a 4 pin, should be easy if I can find a wiring diagram!

Thanks for the links, might be lazy and by the one from rs when it comes back into stock.

Cheers

Dave

Soldato
I'm after replacing the bulbs in our house.

I need -
7 GU10 replacements for the 50w Halogens in the Kitchen
&
4 bayonet (B22?) fit 60w replacements for the lounge, bedrooms and hallway

I don't want the 'fake' white light, and want a warmer colour than that. I don't want to be spending £15 a bulb, but I want something decent.

Recommendations guys?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom