LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Correct but if you want to use a Dimmable LED you have to have a compatible dimmer switch.

Well yes, a 'Trailing Edge' dimmer, as I have mention earlier in this this thread.

One of the best dimmers I've use, is Varilight V-Pro trailing edge dimmer, they have one of the lowest minimum load settings of all, just 10 Watts.

And if you want a remote dimmer for led's then V-Pro Eclique Touch/Remote Control Dimmers are hard to beat.

Last edited:
Soldato
LEDHut is mentioned a lot on here. Anywhere else you guys recommend? E14 4w are quite expensive for me. Seen them cheaper elsewhere but really wanted to buy from a recommended shop. Ta

E14 tend to cost a bit more, not so popular as say a GU10 lamp, but E14 prices have come down a bit.

I just use LED Hut, great service, no hassle if you need to return anything.

As I have already mentioned, go to LED Hut via Quidco, use the 20% off code, & also get 20% cashback on Quidco.

Not a bad saving.

Soldato
Leading Edge, it will also work with dimmable LEDs and most dimmale CFLs provided that there is something in the circuit to provide a resistive load on startup, such as a normal bulb (eg 20W halogen) or a 15-20W resistor, they where going to bring out a ballast module for the dimmer.

The minimum load for lightwave RF touch dimmers was 40w, compared to 10w for varilight V-Pro dimmers, but latest lightwave RF manual states minimum of 15w total load on circuit required for reliable LED operation!

Which is why most consider Trailing Edge dimmers are better.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Looking for a 1 Gang, 1 Way Dimmer, brush alu to replace current one in living room as i have ordered 2 x 5w (50w equivalent) Dimmable E27 LED Bulbs.

Can an expert recommend a decent dimmer that will work with the above? Seen this one but is it going to be a cheap and nasty unit?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLHDS1S.html

You can use your existing plate and knob (oh eer missus) with a replacement dimmer, you just have to disconnect the dimmer units off both switches and swap them over :)

I personally am going with above reccomendations and will be getting a varilight v-pro in the near future

Associate
Westy.

Did you find time to photograph the LEDs over the weekend?

Also, have you seen the Philips DimTone range? they sound brilliant. A bit more expensive however at £24.99 + delivery.

They reduce the colour temperature as they are dimmed, like a proper halogen. I've not seen one in action but they sound close to perfect.

They range from 2700k down to 2200k.

25° or 40° beam.

Unfortunately they only do 8 watt GU10's, which are 90 mm long, so wont fit properly in standard light fittings. Still they'd be amazing for down-lighters, where the length doesn't matter so much.

They also do E27 and B22 GLS versions as well.

Now if only they'd do a Perfect Fit one :(

Edit: Found a video they don't show the dimming more than once and they appear to go rather amber compared to the reddish-orange of a halogen.

Last edited:
Soldato
This module is the best I've fitted so far - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTJP400MOD.html
I've had varying success with others (some noise, flickering, bulbs failing etc) but those modules have been compatible with any brand of dimmables I've put in :)

But the one i have listed above should be ok?

The LEDs i have ordered are Dimmable..........E27, LED 5w equivalent to 50w

On the link it says min load 3w (Just under the pic of the item)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom