LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Just ordered 1 of these to make sure it'll be fine for the kitchen before getting some more:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CREE-LED-PE...UTF8&qid=1382817135&sr=8-30&keywords=gu10+led

We've 10 lights in the kitchen taking 50w each so hopefully this will bring the leccy bill down a touch.

Right, the bulb came yesterday and I put it in last night, really nice light coming from it, decided to order 10 more (I'll have 1 spare now) but the swines have put them up a £1 since Sunday, gonna cost me an extra tenner :eek:

Soldato
Last edited:
Permabanned
Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Right this is probably gonna sound silly.

I'm wanting to light the kitchen with striplights and was wondering if it's feasible so that when you walk into the kitchen the ones on the bottom of the cabinets light up automatically.

Doable or silly complicated?

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
There's still the temptation to get carried away with this topic. If we consider a room with say 6x50W GU10s. And the lights are left on full power 3hrs a night, we end up with an annual cost of:-
(6 * 50 * 365)/1000 * 15p = £16.43 (plus they're contributing to your house hold heating :))

I've got a kitchen with three 50W GU10's in, and it's simply not worth the effort of LED'ing them for a few pounds a year.

The only way I'd be interested in replacing these is if I could find three LED bulbs that gave a good warm light spread, but which were even brighter than the 50W originals.

Soldato
What do you mean?

Well, when I turned my v-pro dimmer down, the lights went out well before the rotation ended (anti-clockwise). ie: There was a large dead zone on the dimmer which did nothing.

So I programmed the dimmer's minimum brightness so the entire range of rotation has an effect, with the full anti-clockwise setting being minumum brightness.

I also set the lights to change smoothly, which is suppose to help the longevity of the bulbs.

Have you not seen this? - http://www.varilight.co.uk/leaflets/V-Pro Push Dimmer Instructions 761.pdf

Soldato
Well, when I turned my v-pro dimmer down, the lights went out well before the rotation ended (anti-clockwise). ie: There was a large dead zone on the dimmer which did nothing.

So I programmed the dimmer's minimum brightness so the entire range of rotation has an effect, with the full anti-clockwise setting being minumum brightness.

I also set the lights to change smoothly, which is suppose to help the longevity of the bulbs.

Have you not seen this? - http://www.varilight.co.uk/leaflets/V-Pro Push Dimmer Instructions 761.pdf

Many thanks for the link. That is good to know.

Soldato
Many thanks for the link. That is good to know.

With my Aurora 6w LEDs I found there was a region where you could dim them down to, but if you then turned them off, and back on again, they didn't come on. It was as if you could lower the current to them right down to a very dim level, but if you turned them off/on, this current wasn't enough to bring them back to life (light) again.

So after a few attempts I managed to program the v-pro dimmer down to an easily low enough minimum brightness (dimmer full anti-clockwise), that still made them come back on if you turned them off/on.

Soldato
When I turn mine down to minimum it doesn't go out. There is a nice glow coming from them. I have to press the nob to turn the light on and off. Seems fine to me.

Waiting for the 5 x E14 LEDs I bought from another company for my ceiling rose now. I ordered LED candle type, equivalent to 20W each. Used to have 5 x 60W in there!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom