LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
My first order of LEDs arrived last week, a set of 5W GU10 NxtGen series 3 warm whites from SimplyLED. We put them in my sons bedroom who has a 3 bulb light and was immediately surprised how much brighter they were than the 50w Halogens they were replacing. They are also a lot more 'white' than I was expecting for a 'warm white' bulb.

Are all LEDs much whiter than the warmth a halogen gives? I'm not sure the wife is too convinced :(

I have now ordered a set of their cheaper 2.8W 'warm white' bulbs hoping they will be more suitable for the bedroom...

Associate
I think most "warm whites" are around the 2800K mark whereas a halogen only gets to about 2700K when fully lit.

The reason for this is that lower colour temperatures are created by filtering some of the white light and converting it to yellow. Which reduces efficiency and brightness. There are some 7 watt 2700K's around but they are usually only as bright as a 6 watt warm white.

Soldato
I have an annex with loads of standard 60w bayonet style bulbs. I'm talking about minimum 11 (and there is space in the light point for two bulbs! so up to 22!).

I'm looking to slowly replace them with LED Bayonet style LED bulbs.

These all seem to be £10 each, do offers come along very often or do you guys source them from overseas?

Soldato
Been buying them from Led Hut & Simplyled for the NxtGen Series III lamps.

Go through Quidco to two mentioned above, you can get a voucher code discount & cash back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Series 3 looks good,

A few LED questions

1.) What does a 5w Nxtgen III compare to in terms of traditional bulb?
2.) How do LED's work behind 'cloudy' covers and not facing directly down? (see pic)

Akua8cU.jpg

So each of those round covers takes two bulbs facing sideways and not directly down. They also have 'cloudy covers'....

anyone else put LED bulbs in such a scenario? Although these bulbs look bright in the pic they are not - they give off a dull 'yellow' light!

Soldato
Are the lamp in those lights a small or a standard b22 bayonet cap, or screw thread, probabley only a pair 40w bulbs?

Never tried a led lamp with those fittings, so no idea if you would have any problems, you might have a heat a issue & lamp life may be reduced.

May be a better option to completely replace those lights with a LED Ceiling Light fittings, heat is vented through the rear of fitting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are the lamp in those lights a small or a standard b22 bayonet cap, or screw thread, probabley only a pair 40w bulbs?

Never tried a led lamp with those fittings, so no idea if you would have any problems, you might have a heat a issue & lamp life may be reduced.

May be a better option to completely replace those lights with a LED Ceiling Light fittings, heat is vented through the rear of fitting.

I was wrong on all accounts, they are 40w screw bulbs, E27 screw.

Will one day look into changing the fittings but to do so on the basis of saving money would defeat the purpose as it would cost a lot more than the 'Do Nothing' option

Soldato
If space is tight for the depth of a led fitting then using track with led lamps, is another option.

Costly yes, but you would have better lighting, saving money running led lamps,(plenty of online calculators to work out savings) no lamp replacement for some years & cheaper running.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
There's still the temptation to get carried away with this topic. If we consider a room with say 6x50W GU10s. And the lights are left on full power 3hrs a night, we end up with an annual cost of:-
(6 * 50 * 365)/1000 * 15p = £16.43
(plus they're contributing to your house hold heating :))

I've got a kitchen with three 50W GU10's in, and it's simply not worth the effort of LED'ing them for a few pounds a year.

The only way I'd be interested in replacing these is if I could find three LED bulbs that gave a good warm light spread, but which were even brighter than the 50W originals.

Is that calculation correct or is that for one hour? If the six 50w bulbs are on for 3 hours each day, then the annual cost is £49.28 (have I got this right?). You should be able to get 6 LED replacements for around that price, so you should break even after approx 1 year. Given that most decent LED bulbs come with a 2 year warranty (or even 5), then it doesn't seem so unreasonable.

Soldato
Don't forget your will probably replace one or two halogen lamps in a year, so that additional cost to factor in.
Using a good lamp, like the GU10 LED NxtGen Series III @ £9:99p each, with quoted 30,000 hours with typical domestic usage, that's quite a few years life, you should almost break even in the first year using led lamps.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been buying a few LEDs from SimplyLED where they have a "5 year guarantee". Does anyone know how this works in practice? Do they record the serial numbers (not even sure there are any) of the bulbs they send you?

Associate
Without reading through pages and pages, can anyone recommend me a dimmable LED setup for my lounge / dining room. It's 7.2m x 3.4m, I currently have a single standard bulb at each end of the room.

My cousing is an electrician so I can get him to wire it up for me but I got no idea what bulbs and fittings to get for when he comes down one weekend to do it.

I would like to keep the cost down but still have a good amount of light and bulbs that will last any ideas?

Soldato
Without reading through pages and pages, can anyone recommend me a dimmable LED setup for my lounge / dining room. It's 7.2m x 3.4m, I currently have a single standard bulb at each end of the room.

My cousing is an electrician so I can get him to wire it up for me but I got no idea what bulbs and fittings to get for when he comes down one weekend to do it.

I would like to keep the cost down but still have a good amount of light and bulbs that will last any ideas?

Well, first of all do consider the cost... Do the maths on 2x60W bulbs and you'll be suprised how little money they use?

Man of Honour
Other than the one on kickstarter which is insane price.
Is there any led bulbs whichmimic the sun, iirc thats high intensity blue light durying the day and very little towards dusk.

Permabanned
Fitted my v-pro dimmers last night, the programmable mode is handy, one of the bulbs is still buzzing a little though, It seems to be the fitting however not the bulb as I changed a couple round before and it still did it. :(

Mine seem to flick on-off-on when they are turned on though ??

Soldato
Fitted my v-pro dimmers last night, the programmable mode is handy, one of the bulbs is still buzzing a little though, It seems to be the fitting however not the bulb as I changed a couple round before and it still did it. :(

Mine seem to flick on-off-on when they are turned on though ??

I had 2 bulbs like that and were faulty. Refunded and bought dif ones

Back
Top Bottom