LED Bulb Thread

Associate
Matutu...

Do you have a list fo the parts you used for that install?

Kind of like it and can see my housemate wanting something like that in his kitchen.

Have several strips of RGB knocking arouind I can use in the meantime.

Have nearly got the whole house transfered over to LED now. Only missing ones are the bayonet connecting ones in the two landins, and one room. Got the GU10 replacements from SimplyLED and have no issues with them at all...well not with the lamps. They did not fit first time in the fittings in the living room. Had to remove the screws holding the ceramic base to the fitting to get enough clearance to get them to turn and mate

Associate
Ill get some more photos later :).

Here is just Blue without kicks in.

2r5enms.jpg

Permabanned
Update on my 3 buzzing bulbs.
I emailed LED HUT and they arrange 3 replacements to be sent out FOC.
They have asked that I send the faulty ones back and the will refund the postage once received.
Top service IMO, a little slow to respond but I can forgive them for that I think, as it was a no questions asked resolution.

James

Soldato
Have had my LED Hut bulbs in for a week now and i'm very happy, good light output and no problems. See how we get on in 6 months but so far so good.

Associate
After some LED dimming advice as they are not dimming!

Control (8x5w,3x5w,5x5w):

Lights 5w - dimmable (sorry for the crap photo my phone had lost its flash) :

Do I need one of these trailing edge controls?

^^ varilight v-pro

You can even program their sweep range. Mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Got the varilight v-pro, fitted and all sorted! Thanks for your help.

If anyone else is looking for the switch ScrewFix seem to be far the cheapest £30 for the 3-gang version.

Soldato
Thought it might be worth mentioning that Asda have got Duracell lightbulbs included in their Black Friday event today (and through the weekend). Most stores should have them; even my smaller one had two shipper units sent in. No idea on pricing I'm afraid but might be worth a look.

Soldato
In our local Asda they had Duracell 5W LED GU10 Warm White Dimmable were £12, but the lamp only has a tight 30 degree beam angle:(, ideally you need a 60 degree beam angle to get the optimum light spread to cover the area properly.

You can order others from Asda online for collection from your local store.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not keen on the NxtGen III cool white bulb I got a few days ago. Bought it in E27 fitting for my new desk lamp as I thought cool white would be a better choice, but its a bit too purple for my liking.

The warm white Nxtgen II copies I got from Light Rabbit are not bad, but if anything they are not quite as bright as I'd hoped. Think i'll wait for the proper CREE ones to be cheaper and get some of them.

Soldato
Got the varilight v-pro, fitted and all sorted! Thanks for your help.

If anyone else is looking for the switch ScrewFix seem to be far the cheapest £30 for the 3-gang version.
You can also get it in a nice thin (screwless) brushed metal version too if you're after something a bit slicker looking.

Soldato
Finally dipped into the LED lighting pool and I'm massively impressed.

Purchased some of these E22's from Amazon for £8 each and they're amazing - they give out every so slightly less light than the 70w bulbs I had in the bedrooms before but the angle and colour are spot on.

I now need to find a decent set of SBC type dimmable bulbs for the living room, and I've got some LED spots arriving soon to replace the 50w ones in the kitchen and dining room.

Soldato
I've been buying a few LEDs from SimplyLED where they have a "5 year guarantee". Does anyone know how this works in practice? Do they record the serial numbers (not even sure there are any) of the bulbs they send you?

Recently moved into a new flat and I've bought some nxt gen III in the past month, they have a manufacture date on the side, about a month or 2 earlier than the order date.

Seem really high quality, and hopefully going to save quite a bit with 20 gu10 fittings in the flat.

Back
Top Bottom