LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Go to LedHut through Quidco, you will get cash back, plus a discount voucher.

Cool White (6500k) can be too cold & clinical, Day Light (4500k- 5000k) might suit you better, just order one of each & see what looks best for your room.

Last edited:
Soldato
Go to LedHut through Quidco, you will get cash back, plus a discount voucher.

Cool White can be too cold & clinical, Day Light might suit you better, just order one of each & see what looks best for your room.

Good idea to start - suppose you can return them anyway.:D

Soldato
Yeah another vote for warm white. it's a shame the warm white bulbs are not quite as bright as the cool white, but this cool white NxtGen3 bulb i got has a horrible purple tinge to it. Its ok in my desk lamp, but a room full of these would look horrible IMO.

Soldato
Having tried Natural and warm white i prefer the warm white as it gives off a lovely 'warm' effect. The natural is quite a 'cold' light, to me.
It totally depends on the room; I have cool white in the Kitchen, bathroom, en-suite and downstairs WC and warm white in every other room.

Associate
Just replaced 3 GU10 bulbs with LED's in a bathroom fitting and they glow faintly even when switched off. Is this normal or is it a fault with the fitting?:confused:

Is it a pull cord with a neon?

Had a 'similar' one where I wired in some LED rope lights in the garden for my brother in law and due to the neon that is in there to show that there is power on the switch and so that you can find it in the dark, there is enough of a current to cause the rope to faintly light.... bit spooky at first as I though I had messed up, but when thought about, males sense I suppose

Associate
Just a heads up both my local asda are doing Duracell led bulbs in most fittings they are £7 each but do a 3 pack for a tenner, and they are very good, only come in warm colours though

They got the single bulbs online but can't see the 3 packs online

Soldato
Is it a pull cord with a neon?

Had a 'similar' one where I wired in some LED rope lights in the garden for my brother in law and due to the neon that is in there to show that there is power on the switch and so that you can find it in the dark, there is enough of a current to cause the rope to faintly light.... bit spooky at first as I though I had messed up, but when thought about, males sense I suppose

Its a pull cord but without a neon. It's a common occurrence apparently and there is a fix but it's not doing any harm so I'm tempted to leave it.

Soldato
Just a heads up both my local asda are doing Duracell led bulbs in most fittings they are £7 each but do a 3 pack for a tenner, and they are very good, only come in warm colours though

But, some offered only have a narrow beam, & available in single & triple packs.

Asda also offer Duracell 4W(30W) LED GU10 which has a 50 degree beam, non dimmable.

http://direct.asda.com/Duracell-4W(30W)-LED-GU10-Lightbulb--Single-pack/001138899,default,pd.html

And these Duracell 5W(33W) LED GU10 which are dimmable, but have a tight 30 degree beam.

http://direct.asda.com/Duracell-5W(...ghbulb--Single-pack/001138892,default,pd.html

Last edited:
Associate
An update, I've sent back my order of LED Hut's 4W GU10's. After installing them, I found they were too bright compared to the old standard GU10's. Instead I ordered some Philips 2W GU10 (also 3000k), these are much better, the color temperature is slightly better (i.e. warmer) than the 4W GU10's, however the 2W is pretty much spot on (no pun intended :D) in terms of brightness.

The Philips also fit into my light sockets (fittings?) like the LED Hut GU10's did, although they are not perfect. Just ordered another 8 of the Philips to install in the rest of my house, now all I need is to find some decent dimmables in the same temperature and same brightness (the Philips are not unfortunately)

Soldato
An update, I've sent back my order of LED Hut's 4W GU10's. After installing them, I found they were too bright compared to the old standard GU10's. Instead I ordered some Philips 2W GU10 (also 3000k), these are much better, the color temperature is slightly better (i.e. warmer) than the 4W GU10's, however the 2W is pretty much spot on (no pun intended :D) in terms of brightness.

The Philips also fit into my light sockets (fittings?) like the LED Hut GU10's did, although they are not perfect. Just ordered another 8 of the Philips to install in the rest of my house, now all I need is to find some decent dimmables in the same temperature and same brightness (the Philips are not unfortunately)

Seriously dumb question (probably) but are these Philips a straight swap with the halogens? i.e. same transformer and fly lead?

I'm very interested to try these out as I've had no luck with LED's so far - they make both me and the missus feel sick.

Associate
Seriously dumb question (probably) but are these Philips a straight swap with the halogens? i.e. same transformer and fly lead?

I'm very interested to try these out as I've had no luck with LED's so far - they make both me and the missus feel sick.

Yep, straight swap, just twist the old one off and fit the new one. I'll be trying the 2700k Philips next, so I'll report back.

Back
Top Bottom