LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Seriously dumb question (probably) but are these Philips a straight swap with the halogens? i.e. same transformer and fly lead?

I'm very interested to try these out as I've had no luck with LED's so far - they make both me and the missus feel sick.

Might be due to the PWM flicker. I have noticed it a bit, but it doesn't make me feel sick. I believe some LCD monitors and TVs with led backlights can make certain people feel sick as well.

Permabanned
Annoying glitch found with the varilight pro dimmer.

It is programmable, you can set the dimmest setting on it, to do this you turn the lights off dim the switch as much as it can, then turn it off and on 3 times, the lights then turn on go to full brightness and back down again to signal that the switch is in programmable mode, then if you leave it a few more seconds they flash and stuff to indicate that programming has finished.

So sometimes when you switch the lights on they do this on their own if you have switched them off when they are dimmed. It's getting very annoying :(

Soldato
Annoying glitch found with the varilight pro dimmer.

It is programmable, you can set the dimmest setting on it, to do this you turn the lights off dim the switch as much as it can, then turn it off and on 3 times, the lights then turn on go to full brightness and back down again to signal that the switch is in programmable mode, then if you leave it a few more seconds they flash and stuff to indicate that programming has finished.

So sometimes when you switch the lights on they do this on their own if you have switched them off when they are dimmed. It's getting very annoying :(

Sorry, can you explain this a bit clearer?

When I first had my LEDs and dimmer put in, I was playing around with the lights/dimming, and noticed at times odd behaviour, such as flashes and the like - I didn't know the unit was a programmable, and it was this behaviour that made me realise what unit had been fitted and that I could then program it.

However, I've certainly not had any odd behaviour using the dimmer in realistic use. ie: Just turning in on/off/adjusting normally.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
tempted to jump onto the LED bandwagon but few questions before I grab some.

I currently use philips energy 40watt bulbs they use 11watts, been using them around the house for years !

Would going LED give me the same kind of output and lower watts usage say these tescos philips 2w gu10s ?

These philips 2W GU10 pack of 3 for a tenner can I just buy these and plug these leds right in and enjoy 2watts of power over my current 11watts?

Soldato
tempted to jump onto the LED bandwagon but few questions before I grab some.

I currently use philips energy 40watt bulbs they use 11watts, been using them around the house for years !

Would going LED give me the same kind of output and lower watts usage say these tescos philips 2w gu10s ?

These philips 2W GU10 pack of 3 for a tenner can I just buy these and plug these leds right in and enjoy 2watts of power over my current 11watts?

Yes, you would save 9w per lamp, but what fitting are the Philips energy lamps?

Average lamp at home spends 3 hours per day on, therefore 3x9W = 27Whrs saving per day = 0.027KWhrs. Energy cost at £0.12 / KWhr = £0.00324 saving per day. Initial outlay = £3.33 per lamp, so it will take you 1028 days (or 2 years and 10 months) to recoup your outlay before you start to reap the rewards.

If the lamp fittings are different you'll have to change much more than just the lamp, increasing your cost and lengthening your payback period. You'll also likely find that you need many more of the 2W GU10s than you currently have of the existing lamps to maintain the same level of light, therefore increasing your payback period even more. I would hazard a guess at it taking you 10-12 years to achieve break even...if the LED lamps last that long!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yes, you would save 9w per lamp, but what fitting are the Philips energy lamps?

Average lamp at home spends 3 hours per day on, therefore 3x9W = 27Whrs saving per day = 0.027KWhrs. Energy cost at £0.12 / KWhr = £0.00324 saving per day. Initial outlay = £3.33 per lamp, so it will take you 1028 days (or 2 years and 10 months) to recoup your outlay before you start to reap the rewards.

If the lamp fittings are different you'll have to change much more than just the lamp, increasing your cost and lengthening your payback period. You'll also likely find that you need many more of the 2W GU10s than you currently have of the existing lamps to maintain the same level of light, therefore increasing your payback period even more. I would hazard a guess at it taking you 10-12 years to achieve break even...if the LED lamps last that long!

thanks great info, I guess I have the standard bulbs the ones from the pound stores. 60watt and 30watt ones, they kinda have 2 silver blobs on the end and 2 silver notches to slide into the groove the other end.

These leds look different with 2 pointy bits so doubt they will fit in mine.

Think with our philips were ok for now still :)

Soldato
Some seriously misleading info included in those lamps specs...why are Philips GU10 LED lamps having their output compared to a GLS lamp?

They need to be compared to the Halogen lamps they are intended to replace. A 20W Halogen GU10 has a centre candle power of about 200, but Philips 2W "equivalent" only achieves 120cd...and only delivers 105lm (about half as much light as from a 20W Halogen). I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!

Soldato
thanks great info, I guess I have the standard bulbs the ones from the pound stores. 60watt and 30watt ones, they kinda have 2 silver blobs on the end and 2 silver notches to slide into the groove the other end.

These leds look different with 2 pointy bits so doubt they will fit in mine.

Think with our philips were ok for now still :)

I think you're talking about B22 (or bayonet cap) light bulbs, which is the common fitting in most domestic pendant fittings. GU10 is a fitting used for downlights, originally developed by Sylvania for Halogen lamps. It's the sort of thing you'll find in recessed ceiling lights in kitchens.

Associate
John Lewis do these and seem to be the cheapest I can find (factoring in P&P).

They are £4.95 at JL (http://www.johnlewis.com/philips-2w-gu10-led-spotlight/p459147)

LED Hut are £5.57, but you can use code XMAS17 to take 95p off, so they are cheaper than JL. Go through TCB and another 12% gets returned, so another 55p, although you have to wait a couple months for this.

If you can find them and make it to your local Tesco then the £10 for 3 looks like a good deal (£3.33 vs around £4.06 at LED Hut)

Associate
Some seriously misleading info included in those lamps specs...why are Philips GU10 LED lamps having their output compared to a GLS lamp?

They need to be compared to the Halogen lamps they are intended to replace. A 20W Halogen GU10 has a centre candle power of about 200, but Philips 2W "equivalent" only achieves 120cd...and only delivers 105lm (about half as much light as from a 20W Halogen). I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!

Yes, the Philips are not great from a spec perspective, I did factor that in. However, in real life practical use, the brightness (for me) is just right compared to my existing halogens. The 4W LED Hut were just too bright. The reduced brightness also results in a softer light, and I think the Philips are also slightly warmer than the LED Hut at the same color temp.

Soldato
Wanting to replace all my kitchen spotlights with LEDs, I can't remember the exact type off hand, they aren't GU10, however they look the same but have more of a plug in connector... sorry for being so vague Can update once I get home.

Recommended places to buy?

Associate
Wanting to replace all my kitchen spotlights with LEDs, I can't remember the exact type off hand, they aren't GU10, however they look the same but have more of a plug in connector... sorry for being so vague Can update once I get home.

I think they're probably MR16's, with those you'll need an LED driver to ensure they don't flicker. I purchased mine from Energy Saving LED (http://www.energysavingled.com/product/led-spots/6w-led-spot/), warm white, MR16, although they appear to be OOS.

Soldato

They will be GU5.3 MR16s. They are low voltage Halogens, whereas GU10s are mains voltage halogens.

It will, unfortunately, make finding a good quality LED option a bit harder.

Soldato
Yes, the Philips are not great from a spec perspective, I did factor that in. However, in real life practical use, the brightness (for me) is just right compared to my existing halogens. The 4W LED Hut were just too bright. The reduced brightness also results in a softer light, and I think the Philips are also slightly warmer than the LED Hut at the same color temp.

Each to their own and it depends largely on what you want the lighting for and what type of room you're lighting with them.

I would find a room that was originally lit with 20W halogens extremely dim when those were replaced with 2W LEDs. Costa Coffee was a very early adopter of LED lighting and it was a massive mistake for them. The shops they had converted looked dark and uninviting, and difficult to see well in once inside.

Back
Top Bottom