LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
I've got a few of the Philips LED CorePro ones, in Screw (E27) and Bayonet (B22) fittings. Use them in various desk lamps and roof lamps. All non-dimmable, but I think they do a separate dimmable range too.

8W (48W) and 10W (60W) are the same size as each other, but the 13W (75W) is a bit bigger.

For one particular bulb I'd like to get something brighter than the 1055 lumens of the 13W (75W)... but the 20W (100W) 1521 lumens bulb costs £40!

Caporegime
I've got a few of the Philips LED CorePro ones, in Screw (E27) and Bayonet (B22) fittings. Use them in various desk lamps and roof lamps. All non-dimmable, but I think they do a separate dimmable range too.

8W (48W) and 10W (60W) are the same size as each other, but the 13W (75W) is a bit bigger.

For one particular bulb I'd like to get something brighter than the 1055 lumens of the 13W (75W)... but the 20W (100W) 1521 lumens bulb costs £40!

What do you need 1500 lumens for :eek:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Those other Philips LED bulbs only have a beam angle of 150 degrees so aren't a suitable replacement for halogen in a table lamp I feel. It's the same problem with most LED bulbs and I think that's why only the GU10s and strip lighting have caught on as they are meant to be directional.

I think the Philips Master LED bulbs have a beam angle of 300 degrees but finding it difficult to confirm.

Soldato
Also to note on some of the cheap Chinese GU10, be careful. Don't buy any without a glass front they can be extremely dangerous. The glass ones are ok as there is no live part to touch even if it uses a mains dropper inside. Some of the other cheapo ones use a mains dropper and have touchable solder points where the LEDs are surface mounted!

Soldato
Also to note on some of the cheap Chinese GU10, be careful. Don't buy any without a glass front they can be extremely dangerous. The glass ones are ok as there is no live part to touch even if it uses a mains dropper inside. Some of the other cheapo ones use a mains dropper and have touchable solder points where the LEDs are surface mounted!

I started a thread about these dangerous GU10 lamps.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18579692

Soldato
I presume they can be changed to LED?

Yes they can, but you need to be careful in you choice of GU10 LED lamp, as some have a more pronounced lip around the front of the lamp, than a standard GU10 halogen lamp making fitting impossible.

I am order some various GU10 lamps this week to try in same fittings.

Permabanned
Yes they can, but you need to be careful in you choice of GU10 LED lamp, as some have a more pronounced lip around the front of the lamp, than a standard GU10 halogen lamp making fitting impossible.

I am order some various GU10 lamps this week to try in same fittings.

Please could you post back here what works and any details.

I'm going to order the light this week as need to finish my attic off so insulation and boarding will be in the way. Get them fitted now and it's them done.

Associate
Yeah, keep us updated night glow as I'm also going to order 8 new lamps this week after getting the downlighters in today.

Soldato
The R63 is also known as a PAR 20 lamp, quite a few PAR 20 led lamps around, just need to google.

http://www.thelightbulbshop.co.uk/E...orLamps.aspx?gclid=CMak2fby0LwCFZHJtAodaTMA_g

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs/r63-reflector.html

As to converting the existing recessed fittings to another fitment, depends on the diameter of the present hole.

A lot of the GU10 downlighters use a 70mm hole, a lot can usually get away with 68mm diameter.
The ones I recommended earlier use 70mm, but you can squeeze by with 68mm.

Your lights are mains voltage, so wiring is very straight forward, just remove from one fitting & wire in to new fitting.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Tool Station have the down lights on offer currently. Just bought 10 for £79.80 delivered

Sylvania Fire Rated Downlight Fixed GU10 Mains Brushed Steel are the ones I went for

Back
Top Bottom