LED Bulb Thread

Imy

Imy

Soldato
My bedroom is roughly 4m x 3m so either I go for 12 bulbs in a 4x3 grid or 6 bulbs in a 3x2 grid.

Decisions... decisions....

I will also have 2 bedside lamps and LED strip lighting under the bed but they are unlikely to be on at the same time as ceiling lights. I may even make them a different colour for different moods e.g. bedside lamps could be 2700k and downlights 3500k.

I should add, I'm going to program the lights as wake-up lights i.e. come on gradually starting 30 minutes before I need to get up. A whiter light would probably work better for that?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Usually use 1.5mm twin & earth as mentioned above, from the downlighter to a junction box, usually Hager J501 junction box feeding say three or four fittings, or sometimes 0.75mm 3 Core( 6amps) ample rated flex,from fittings or occasionally 1.0mm 3 Core (10amps) again back to a Hager J501's, all depends on the access available.

It's impossible to get get more than one cable under the cable grip on the light fitting.

If using flex I pre-wire with a 400mm or so length all the fittings first, then a simple jobbing of connecting to junction box/ boxes.

EDIT: I always prefer to use the Prysmian Twin & Earth Cable from Screwfix compared to Toolstation cable.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/prysmian-6242y-twin-earth-cable-1-5mm-x-50m-grey/51381

Never use them, don't like the idea of non replaceable lamp, if it fails after 12 months warranty finishes, where would you stand with trying to getting it replace.

Not fire rated, so you will need a fire hood, or you could use a fire rated downlighter, which don't need a hood.

These are my favourite fire rated downlighters.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p26353

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p73671

So huge thanks to Nightglow,

I've bought the light with the stain finish, bought the cable and the junction boxes.

Please excuse the decor, all in change.

Below the the layout of the landing, photos as well. I'm needing to fit these asap as have a project in the loft currently (300mm insulation, boarding and lighting) that's half done now due to the lights needing fitting.

Can anyone advise me on how i should go about laying these lights out.

How many to fit etc etc.

Also what LED to replace the stock bulb with. I presume it'll be 240v on the LED.

30rw900.jpg

fqjw7.jpg

2e2oznl.jpg

adp3jd.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/rb9xmb.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/2chm1xz.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/6579lg.jpg

**Please reduce image sizes to no wider than 1280 or use spoiler tags**

Soldato
You will need to raise insulation in loft over fittings or stop short each side of fitting.

You definitely want one in the stair well recess, difficult from photo working out positions, but 500mm out from wall, centre line of ceiling, will light up stair well.

Your sketch isn't easy to follow,

EDIT:Something like this: Stairwell Recess 1st light 500mm out, 2nd light 890mm from first, 3rd light 890mm from second, should leave 500mm to wall.

I would wire up one of the fittings wire 3 core flex & a plug & a led lamp, & experiment.

But, you need to know the centre line of the ceilings, what the width of the stairwell, & landing left & right of stairwell in you sketch?

Last edited:
Permabanned
You will need to raise insulation in loft over fittings or stop short each side of fitting.

You definitely want one in the stair well recess, difficult from photo working out positions, but 500mm out from wall, centre line of ceiling, will light up stair well.

Your sketch isn't easy to follow,

EDIT:Something like this: Stairwell Recess 1st light 500mm out, 2nd light 890mm from first, 3rd light 890mm from second, should leave 500mm to wall.

I would wire up one of the fittings wire 3 core flex & a plug & a led lamp, & experiment.

But, you need to know the centre line of the ceilings, what the width of the stairwell, & landing left & right of stairwell in you sketch?

Oh....

Will the fire boxes be okay then? The big metal cladded boxes you put over the holes and i can then insulate over?

I will redo the drawing

Soldato
No4_zps52494093.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Green line is the centre line of the ceiling.

The four lights on top landing 60 degree lamps,the two over the stair well around 20-30 degree lamps.

Did consider a single row of lights to light landing by loft hatch & stairwell as one, but I feel you get too many shadows cast from the spindles on the balustrade.

Reason for spot bulbs on stairwell, drop from ceiling to bottom step of stairs must be around 4 mtrs, & 3mtrs half way down, 60 degree lamps I suspect would fail to provide enough light intensity for stairs.

You could move the centre line for the loft hatch across a bit to 550mm, this would make the distance from the middle top landing light to 827mm, making all three light equal distance apart.

Difficult be 100% as I'm only working from a photo's & not there on your landing.

I will edit photo later with changes.DONE.

Last edited:
Permabanned
No4_zps52494093.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Green line is the centre line of the ceiling.

The four lights on top landing 60 degree lamps,the two over the stair well around 20-30 degree lamps.

Did consider a single row of lights to light landing by loft hatch & stairwell as one, but I feel you get too many shadows cast from the spindles on the balustrade.

Reason for spot bulbs on stairwell, drop from ceiling to bottom step of stairs must be around 4 mtrs, & 3mtrs half way down, 60 degree lamps I suspect would fail to provide enough light intensity for stairs.

You could move the center line for the loft hatch across a bit to 550mm, this would make the distance from the middle top landing light to 827mm, making all three light equal distance apart.

Difficult be 100% as I'm only working from a photo's & not there on your landing.

I will edit photo later with changes.DONE.

Sorry only replying now, been to see Russell Howard.

More than happy to move the center line like you say to get the spacing and extra light in place

Thanks for taking the time, have sent you a trust.

Associate
Further to my previous post, I've converted one of my R63/PAR20 spots to a GU10 fitting as a test. Please can someone recommend their favourite GU10 bulbs (under £15) in warm white in the following categories:
Wide Angle 50W equivalent
Wide Angle 25W equivalent
Narrow Angle 50W equivalent
Narrow Angle 25W equivalent

Cheers!

Soldato
Further to my previous post, I've converted one of my R63/PAR20 spots to a GU10 fitting as a test. Please can someone recommend their favourite GU10 bulbs (under £15) in warm white in the following categories:
Wide Angle 50W equivalent
Wide Angle 25W equivalent
Narrow Angle 50W equivalent
Narrow Angle 25W equivalent

Cheers!

I like the Philips Perfect Fit GU10 bulbs. They do a 4W (35W equiv) and 5.5W (50W equiv). Available in multiple colour temperatures, you'll want the 2700K 'Very Warm White'. Available in beam angles of 25degree and 40degree.
Over budget though, as they're about £17 (each!)

Soldato
Philips 5.5W Dimmable MASTER LED spot MV GU10, available in Very Warm White, Warm White & Cool White, 25 & 40 degree versions

Just over budget by a quid.

http://www.thelightbulbshop.co.uk/D...LED5WGU10/55WDimmableMASTERLEDspotMVGU10.aspx

Was going to order a collection of GU10 led lamps last week to try,but some unexpected large expenses put that on hold until next week.:(
Spots are what I'm interested in, for lighting a stairwell, GU10 Halogens spots I understand beam angle, got slide rule for working out spread, Lumens, Candela etc, but LED spots are totally different thing.

Just starting to get my head around IES lighting profiles,Philps, Osram, Sylvania, etc, all provide theses profiles for their lamps, there is even a plugin for Google Sketchup.

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/max/ieslights/

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Was going to order a collection of GU10 led lamps last week to try,but some unexpected large expenses put that on hold until next week.:(
Spots are what I'm interested in, for lighting a stairwell, GU10 Halogens spots I understand beam angle, got slide rule for working out spread, Lumens, Candela etc, but LED spots are totally different thing.

Just starting to get my head around IES lighting profiles,Philps, Osram, Sylvania, etc, all provide theses profiles for their lamps, there is even a plugin for Google Sketchup.

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/max/ieslights/

Have you tried Superflares at all? Link

Difficult to get my head around all that but might give that software a try if I get time.

Is there an easy way to try out an LED bulb in a downlight fitting but without actually fully wiring it up?

Soldato
Have you tried Superflares at all? Link

Is there an easy way to try out an LED bulb in a downlight fitting but without actually fully wiring it up?

Never tried the Superflares. rather big claims for the lumens though.

I just have one of those gu10 downlighter I recommended, fitted into a 100mm square of 12mm mdf fitted with 1mtr handle & wire up with 10 mtrs of 3 core flex with a plug.

Just fit the bulb I want & hold it up to the ceiling to see the light coverage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom