LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
Been looking around for led lamp with a narrow beam, most available are around 24-25 degree beam, this might even be the ideal beam angle for a stairwell.

But I have found a super led GU10 which has a 18 degree beam available in 3000k warm white & 4000k cool white & dimmable, disadvantages, it's £25 & it's too long for a compact fitting.:(

http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/products.aspx?g=18&t=871&r=1507

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Nightglow, I picked up a couple white Sylvania down-lighters yesterday to play around with.

If I want to connect one to a standard wall-plug, can I chop the kettle-end of a 5A PC kettle lead and use that?

I was going to order a couple Superflare dimmable GU10s to test with. They are 58mm deep though - any idea if they'll fit in the Sylvania down-lighters?

Caporegime
For anyone looking for a drop-in GLS replacement then take a look at these:

http://www.integral-led.com/news/re...d-bulb-omni-lamp-classic-globe-gls-and-candle (yes this is the same Integral that make USB flash drives)

Shortlisted for an award, comparatively cheap especially as you can find packs of 10 for ~£80 without too much searching.

Only a 25w and 40w equivalent, but all the reviews seem to suggest that those are quite conservative estimates, perhaps because they are 3000k instead of 2700k. A shame they aren't dimmable but I'm sure that's coming.

I have a couple on order so will let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Classic Globe (GLS) Omni-Lamp, now they look good, equivalent to a 40w bulb, ideal for a table lamp, would also like to see a dimmable version & a higher wattage like 60w or 75w.
Also nice to see a E14 candle, just need 40w model & dimmable versions of both now.

Will be interested to know how you find them in use.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, it interested me especially as most of the GLS replacements have been very directional which is just wrong for pretty much every application you'd use a GLS lamp for. In a ceiling pendant you'd get no light onto the ceiling, in a lamp you'd get a horrible shadow on the shade.

The closest I found before this was the clear Panasonic ones with the filament style LED, but they were only 20w equivalents, presumably because of the thermal demands of the LEDs couldn't be met without coupling them to a heatsink.

Soldato
I've just fitted the last 2 LED lights in my en-suite to complete the full LED light house set. I'm now running a total of 60 LED lights and 4 one meter LED strip lights.
I converted 80% of the house to LED lights in August last year with bulbs bought from LED Hut and throughout the Winter they have worked flawlessly.

I have cool lights in the kitchen ceiling, kitchen under counter, utility, downstairs toilet, bathroom, ensuite, cooker and outside. Warm lights everywhere else :)

Permabanned
Nightglow

I just went to measure from the drawing you did me an I've measured wrong. Sorry for messing you about. Have remeasure and had help this time.

I've add a bedroom that we want to do and what with the loft project makes sense to do it now. Also added down stairs hallway as will need to order more lights so get the numbers now and whitest they are on offer.

If you can reply to the trust and want the job more than happy to pay you

Correct drawings below

30kf713.jpg

nnwv3b.jpg

14tlpqo.jpg

Thanks

Soldato
Been a while since I looked into these, what are currently the best for around ~£10 a bulb that actually are comparable to halogens? (I've seen some give such a dull light, you may as well have it off!).

Soldato
Been a while since I looked into these, what are currently the best for around ~£10 a bulb that actually are comparable to halogens? (I've seen some give such a dull light, you may as well have it off!).

As this man asks, I would like to know what decent bulbs to look out for. I'm looking for bright white lights in my kitchen & bathroom, and softer lights in my living room.

(sorry thread is too long for me to sift through and I'm at work :( )

Soldato
Had some time at lunch to skim through.

These look like a good option from what I've read here. Also 15% cashback from topcashback. Think I'm going to order cool white for the Kitchen. I assume "cool white" from the LEDHUT is 4000k?

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/gu10-led-bulbs/new-4-5-watt-gu10-cob-bulb-wide-beam-angle.html

Cool white can be from 4000-5000K, seems to vary between manufacturers, wish their was more clearer info on this.

In the past, I have had two led lamps both rated 3000K, totally different when compared side by side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom