LED Bulb Thread

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Forgive my ignorance, what do you have on the other end of the wire? Can you just use a plug?

I don't have anything to measure the lumens and neither have I tried many LED bulbs out yet. I can say however that it's brighter than the 50W halogen it replaced as well as this bulb: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007DIJDVE/

It also has a very wide beam. It says 60 degrees on the website but it does a fair job of lighting to 180 degrees. I have 4 of them in a central fitting and they cover the entire kitchen with overlap and no sharp outlines except for the 180 degree line on the ceiling.

Excuse the mess:

ojv3.jpg

The hallway outside the kitchen (the hallway light is on):

um8a.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
No.

Seen a few grubby ones over the years, a quick buff with a rag, soon get them shiny again.

Think the finish is like a powdered or epoxy finish, as it doesn't scratch easily like a painted surface.

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
Good, I would prefer a discrete look in non-kitchen rooms so am considering white for my white ceiling. The new ceiling fans should stop it looking too bare.

What did you go for?

Associate
Step one of my uber-bright, multi colour garden project has taken place.

Have taken delivery of 3 Cree 30W RGB modules ordered from the Bay (code on anti-static bag reads SCA-1568)

Have bench tested them and damn, they are bright indeed.

the only issues I have to overcome now (which may be rather large looking at them) are

1 - Find a suitable PSU
2 - Find a suitable RGB Controller
3 - Find suitable waterproof enclosure
4 - Wire and test​

3 and 4 should be fairly straight forward. From brief bench test, the modules have a common anode (CA) so will be wiring all 3 CA together and then the cathodes will be run in parallel to each other too.

The fun bit comes when trying to sort out a PSU. It does not need to be that highly rated power wise as each portion of the module draws 100mA so am looking at approximately 1A total draw, 2A supply will be suitable, but the fun part comes with the voltages required to get light out.

The Red bank operates at 20-22 V Dc and the Red and Green banks operate at 30 -32 V DC. Not sure why this is, but is going to be fun solving this out.

Was thinking that I would need monster heatsinks on these, but as they are relatively low power draw, is not that hugely necessary. Will still be sticking one on the back of each module as better safe than sorry.

Soldato
Yes ok for landing, but beam angle might be too wide for stair well, there might not be a enough light intensity directed to light the stairwell, give them a try & see how you get on with them.

A 120 degree angle is very wide, usually around 60 degree is usually recommended, never used these, so it's difficult to know how they will perform.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yes ok for landing, but beam angle might be too wide for stair well, there might not be a enough light intensity directed to light the stairwell, give them a try & see how you get on with them.

A 120 degree angle is very wide, usually around 60 degree is usually recommended, never used these, so it's difficult to know how they will perform.

I will order them now. Did you ever get my trust?

Soldato
I tried some of those wide angle bulbs a while back, and they robbed the room of all mood lighting. It was a wide, flat, even light that made everything look dull. I didn't think it was that bright, presumably because the same amount of light energy was spread much wider than in a more standard 60 degree bulb.

I also found that the bulbs themselves were quite bright and intrusive to look at. I had them on a movable central light fitting, not in a recessed fitting, and with the LEDs right on the surface, the bulbs were quite bright and visible in my peripheral vision. YMMV, but I sent them back.

Last edited:
Permabanned
:o
Apologies, been a rather hectic week here.

Just checked emails, yes I did, it's a secondary account, so I tend to forget to check it occasionally.

If you get chance fire back over it, might have a job for you!

I did take you advice, have just fitted 5m flex on the end of one them spots to check it out. The stock bulb is pants. 20* is the bulb.

Not sure what to on the leds now

90*

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/gu10-led-bulbs/new-4-5-watt-gu10-cob-bulb-wide-beam-angle.html

60*

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/gu10-led-bulbs/new-5-watt-gu10-led-bulb-wide-beam-angle.html

Is there any other place to order from?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you get chance fire back over it, might have a job for you!

I did take you advice, have just fitted 5m flex on the end of one them spots to check it out. The stock bulb is pants. 20* is the bulb.

Sylvania Hi Spot Home Halogen Lamp GU10 is available either as 25 or 50 degrees,not sure what is supplied.

EDIT: Your correct it's 25 degree, but it doesn't perform like one, beam seems very diffused, at 3 mtrs, it's beam is too wide, lost it's definition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom