LED Bulb Thread

Suspended
Anyone tried the new Tesco range of LEDs? Also they have new Philips and Osram on the shelf.

They were selling the older Philips bulbs off the other week; the 4.5W 35W equivalents which IME are great (warm & bright) . £2.50 each!!! Got several to do the bedroom aswell now the kitchen has all 8 already changed, although some in there are IKEA which are good, just Philps give a better light.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone tried the new Tesco range of LEDs? Also they have new Philips and Osram on the shelf.

They were selling the older Philips bulbs off the other week; the 4.5W 35W equivalents which IME are great (warm & bright) . £2.50 each!!! Got several to do the bedroom aswell now the kitchen has all 8 already changed, although some in there are IKEA which are good, just Philps give a better light.

Dimmable?

Soldato
you *may* have the latter but since you mentioned a bathroom it could just be that they have an extra layer of sealing from the elements.

The shroud you describe could be a removable cover to make decorating easier.

They sound like the fire regulated ones I have in the bathroom. You have to twist the chrome edges as if it were a bottle top.

Thanks for the responses, I plucked up the courage to give one of them a bit more force twisting it and it does unscrew and comes off, at which point the spot inside drops down through a fairly large diameter section of a sort of plastic pipe in a hole

So they do appear to be GU10s - what can I replace them with that will be closer to halogens in terms of the warm-ness of the light... I'm really not a fan of white/daylight even in a kitchen

Soldato
Thanks for the responses, I plucked up the courage to give one of them a bit more force twisting it and it does unscrew and comes off, at which point the spot inside drops down through a fairly large diameter section of a sort of plastic pipe in a hole

So they do appear to be GU10s - what can I replace them with that will be closer to halogens in terms of the warm-ness of the light... I'm really not a fan of white/daylight even in a kitchen

I've just replaced my bathroom GU10s (in what sounds like the same fittings as yours) with these;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Life-L...e=UTF8&qid=1410944365&sr=8-1&keywords=5w+gu10
For some reason, the price has gone up from the £5.59 I paid when I ordered at the weekend.

They're a bit whiter than the Halogens, but not terribly so. Though part of the difference is that I previously had 20w Halogens in, so it's much brighter now.

I have the same ones in my kitchen, where they replaced 50w Halogens - the difference was less noticeable there.

Soldato
Soldato
Right. I swear this will be over soon but I just need some final advice/opinions from you helpful people first!

The lights are in. We've gone for three lines of GU10 spots running the length of the room; 1 line either side over the worktops and then a centre line down the middle. Because of the number of them, we've put them on separate switches so you can individually switch the above-worktop lights and the middle lights depending on the needs.

My thinking is that I'd like to get quite narrow beam LEDs for the counter lights and then some wider ones to provide 'overall' light in the room for the centre line. My question is; is this a good idea, and will using two different 'types' of bulbs like this look weird on those occasions when they're both turned on i.e. will they produce different light?

Would it just make more sense to go with a bulb that's got a slightly wider beam angle and use them throughout?

Would be great to get these ordered today or tomorrow because the halogen GU10s the fittings were supplied with will be costing a fortune to run!

Thanks all.

Soldato
any of you guys got any more recent experience of floodlight LEDs (with PIR sensors attached?) the last posts were from 2013 and I have seen some reviews on them to say that some wires inside them aren't earthed....

Soldato
Hi guys, just after some advice. We're looking to have some down lights fitted in the living room and were in Stax yesterday. They're running a promotion (stock clearance) on some Philips LED recessed fixes 5W. Heard good things about Philips stuff so after any advice. The room is about 4m x 5m, had the electrician pop around yesterday who thought 9 would be suffice.

Can't see a product number on them but they're Philips LED 5W Recessed Fixed, Fired rated 270Lm, warm white. £7.99 each. Any good? Similar to the ones in the link below but not IP65 or glass covered.

link

Last edited:
Associate
Partial generic bulb related questions here and partial thread related questions.

Have a light in the kitchen which has 4 what I believe to be 'mini' GU10 spot bulbs. They have the same fitment however they're a bit smaller. Is there any specific thing to look out for?

Second question, want some led variants of these, would rather have them sooner than later. Any high street shops that stock these (probably asked a few times before but trawling 15 pages, aint nobody got time for that!)

Soldato
I have 4 spotlights in my main bedroom which I'll be changing for LED lights. However the bulb holders are a bit manky, and gone an off colour of yellow! So I want to upgrade them.

Is this a simple job? The wiring just looks standard to me, does anything need to be added? There are 2 wires going into the current holders, which house E14 bulbs.

They are like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/white-v/82656

Could I get something like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-fixed-round-mains-voltage-downlight-polished-chrome-240v/39914

Last edited:
Associate
I've just bought a twin pack of dimmable LED bulbs from Costco. They were under £12 and I'm very happy with them. 11W (60W) if I recall. 3 yr warranty.

Associate
Where's the best place to get decent LED bulbs from? I'd like to try some in my living room. The only one's I've been able to find locally have been spotlights that light a 1inch circle on my floor! :(

Permabanned
Need OCUK's help again, time to do my boys room.

Parts will be

Prysmian 6242Y Twin & Earth Cable 1.5mm
Hager J501
Sylvania Fire Rated Downlight Fixed GU10 Mains Brushed Steel

Warm white is possibly going to be the better option, anyone got advice? If I got bulbs which support dimming it's a case of just fit dimmer switch?

Position, thinking 4 and just dividing the length and width by 3 so they are even spacing all round the room.

Walls will be white

Soldato
I have 8 of these lights in kitchen and 4 in bathroom.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Product...Ltj5cnBU_44CRWDxMKyPa5klvnDblAcjKUaAut68P8HAQ

They are 9w Compact reflector GU10 CFL's and I don't really have a problem with them even after 5 yrs - except in winter they take a few minutes to really warm up - Reason is we have a bungalow and they are exposed in roof void so are subject to temp change.

I have read through most of this thread and now think I might try one LED in each room - Well back in this thread Phillips 2w LEDs were prefered over 4 w - is this still case and would the LED be more of a spot than the 108deg CFL's

Thanks

Dave

Back
Top Bottom