LED Bulb Thread

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Just thought i would share my LED bulb story.

In my kitchen i have 2 4 way light fixtures that used to have halogen bulbs in, I recently got an Electricity monitor and to my utter astonishment found that these lights were pulling 480watts :O, I thought "no way hoe-say", Popped to B&Q got 9 GU10 LED bulbs for under £20 installed them and now i have not seen the lights pulling more than 30 watts and they are brighter.

Am gonna go LED bulbs throughout the house especially as the darkness is closing in, Only issue is Bayonet LED's are not as easy to source. Why bother with stupid energy saving bulbs that take ages to get to their full brightness which is still dismal

The end

"I know, cool story bro!"

Just in case anyone is interested in the lifetime of the B&Q GU10 bulbs I installed in my kitchen, they are all still going strong, not had any problems at all and it's been nearly 3 years, whole house is LED now and so far I have not had to replace any.

Soldato
Where are you sourcing them for ~£25 a unit?

I take your point on the efficacy (going by the quoted figures at least, 100 lumens+ per watt is a bold claim), but the EcoLEDs are roughly 50% more expensive and I can't find any trade publications that have tested them to verify the claims. There's more to a luminaire than the amount of beans you can get out of it for a given wattage.

I would imagine the Aurora's lose some output due to the lens arrangement to make them look more like a halogen, and this is something they do incredibly well. Seeing as that was part of the brief for this project that was an important factor in the purchase.

Edit: It's bugging me now, I've definitely seen a large amount of the Ecoled range before under a different brand. I'm struggling to remember who it was though.

I source everything direct through ECOLED. ZEP1s are a great standard fitting, but I have to say the ZEP6 darklight is on another level. But that comes at a cost.

As with anything, comparing both in an installed environment side by side is ideal, and true independent measurements are the only way to be 100% sure of accuracy. I'm just going on the published figures.

Will be trying my ECOLEDs with some Fibaro dimmers/relays shortly, so hoping they work well enough with those installed behind the switch.

Associate
Soldato
I'm in the process of designing some built in furniture - does anyone have bulbs that can be controlled by an app/or remote control and maybe also grouped?
Had a look at some of the links on this thread but not 100% sure about any of them...
how reliable are the controls and do you have to have a manual switch somewhere? are there any that you can program on a timer or such?

cheers

Soldato
The 2x 4.5w in the 3 gang and the single 3x4.5w are those GU10s you linked.

The other 4.5w ones are these:
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs/e14-led-bulbs/new-4-5-watt-e14-led-golf-ball-shape-bulb.html

The 2 GU10s don't "need" to be dimmable, they're just additional spotlights in the living room, but ideally the clusters of 3 E14s would be!

Just an update to this, I ordered a Varilight JCDP303* and it dims the 3x 4.5w E14s and the 2x 4.5w GU10s with no issues :)

* That's the product code for the chrome finish, but there are various other colours in the same range

Soldato
I've just replaced 2x GU10 spotlights for Philips 5W GU10 LEDs which work OK one at a time but when I connect them both, they both start strobing. Any ideas what's wrong?

Man of Honour
I've just replaced 2x GU10 spotlights for Philips 5W GU10 LEDs which work OK one at a time but when I connect them both, they both start strobing. Any ideas what's wrong?

What voltage were the old ones and the new ones? Sounds like the old ones could have had converters to 12v or something and the new LEDs want 220v for example?

Associate
If you are replacing traditional GLS bulbs in old fixtures but using LED tech then do check out the current crop of "LED Filament Bulbs", e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-gls-led-lamp-clear-es-5w/9948f
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-gls-led-lamp-clear-es-4w/8648f

I got a couple of the Sylvania bulbs to try out the other day after seeing this post.

I replaced the landing and downstairs hall light which were 60w and 75w with 4w and 5w bulbs, not knowing what to expect with these led bulbs i can say after trying them out, I could not tell any difference between the halogen and
led.

I'm now going to replace all the other bulbs in the house with these

The Lap bulbs were a lot cheaper and are on offer but I don't know
how good they are.

Soldato
It turns out I mistakenly ordered the wrong colour temp. I ordered cool white instead of warm. So got some of the warm white ones ordered for collection tomorrow.

Soldato
Just started replacing all my 60w bulbs with LED versions. The 8W LED's are actually too bright lol, even with a dimmer, so had to get the 7W which are a bit easier to dim.

Just got another load of 7W's and a 6W to do the upstairs and a lamp.

Soldato
I'm struggling with a dimmer switch that can be used with a single 7-8w LED we simply want to be able to dim the light in our nursery but every switch I look as hasa minimum load of 10W anyone seen or own something that works for this?

Back
Top Bottom