LED Bulb Thread

Man of Honour

Yeah will have a look at something like that.

Couple of quick questions:

Do I need a specific dimmer switch for dimmable LED bulbs?

Any recommendations for a wide angle ~50w equivalent GU10 before I order from LEDHut?

I believe so yes, I had to swap mine out. The GU10s I posted a bit above have been great in the kitchen. Much brighter and wider angle than the halogen 50w ones in there before. Make sure you get the warm colour (will still be cooler than halogen).

Associate
Got a 4m by 4m living room I want to put LED downlights in. I'm thinking 8 downlights (rows of 3, 2, 3) but only problem is the switch for these lights is in the hallway on a double dimmer (the second pot is the dimmer for the hallway light). I've read a lot of issues where certain dimmers don't work with certain lights, and I obviously need to replace my dimmer switch for the new LED downlights but guessing I can't keep my hallway lights wired into a second dimmer pot on a double switch?

On that note, any recommendation for dimmer switches and accompanying LED downlights (8 of them?)

Soldato
hi all

im after G9 dimmable LED bulbs, it wont let me search for "G9" as its too short

where is the go to place to get these? i need 11, currently halogens are 28W

sick of the halogen bulbs fusing very quickly.

thanks!

Soldato
Might be worth having the first post list suppliers\options for the various replacements to incandescent bulbs.

What is the tried&tested replacement for regular bayonet 60\80w bulbs?

Soldato
Might be worth having the first post list suppliers\options for the various replacements to incandescent bulbs.

What is the tried&tested replacement for regular bayonet 60\80w bulbs?

I've been using the Screwfix £10 LAP bulbs for a month or so now. Not exactly tested over a long period, but so far so good. They claim to be 60w equiv but seem a fair amount brighter.

Soldato
just ordered £100 worth of LEDs from LED Hut using 30% off BF30 code and hopefully 30% quidco

Quidco just tracked at £23.48 (on the ex vat total)

Subtotal £146.77
Shipping & Handling £0.00
Discount (30% OFF) -£44.03
Grand Total (Excl.Tax) £78.28
VAT £24.46
Grand Total (Incl.Tax) £102.74

£79.26 total. Not a bad saving

Soldato
Can anyone advise whether the colour temperature will affect the brightness? I know the lower the K value the more yellow a tint it will have but will a 3000K (warm white) be any less bright than a 6000k (cool white)?

Its for a living room dont want it to be too clinical but need it to be nice and bright. I have cool white in my kitchen and bedroom (bought my electrician before I was aware of any of this) and Im pretty happy with them.

Soldato
Got a 4m by 4m living room I want to put LED downlights in. I'm thinking 8 downlights (rows of 3, 2, 3) but only problem is the switch for these lights is in the hallway on a double dimmer (the second pot is the dimmer for the hallway light). I've read a lot of issues where certain dimmers don't work with certain lights, and I obviously need to replace my dimmer switch for the new LED downlights but guessing I can't keep my hallway lights wired into a second dimmer pot on a double switch?

On that note, any recommendation for dimmer switches and accompanying LED downlights (8 of them?)

Do you have a layout drawing of your room; sofas, tv etc, as just plonking them in lines in the middle is quite boring to me, look at putting them around the edge of seating areas around 300mm from the wall, or leaving certain areas unlit to create an effect other that 'bath the whole room in light evenly'.

I'd consider looking at a fibaro dimmer and automation system. akes away having to buy dimmer switches and you can just install the wireless module behind a normal switch.

Can anyone advise whether the colour temperature will affect the brightness? I know the lower the K value the more yellow a tint it will have but will a 3000K (warm white) be any less bright than a 6000k (cool white)?

Its for a living room dont want it to be too clinical but need it to be nice and bright. I have cool white in my kitchen and bedroom (bought my electrician before I was aware of any of this) and Im pretty happy with them.

I wouldn't want anything 'cool' wise near a living room. 2700k is perfect, I find even 3000k a bit white for the living room. We have 3000k in the kitchen, bathroom, utility, hall and a bedroom atm.

I wouldn't worry about how the colour effects their output, just buy decent lights in the first place with a decent output. You just replacing standard GU10s with LED bulbs, or putting in new fittings?

Soldato
I wouldn't want anything 'cool' wise near a living room. 2700k is perfect, I find even 3000k a bit white for the living room. We have 3000k in the kitchen, bathroom, utility, hall and a bedroom atm.

I wouldn't worry about how the colour effects their output, just buy decent lights in the first place with a decent output. You just replacing standard GU10s with LED bulbs, or putting in new fittings?

Thanks for the info, I am replacing G9 halogens and Ive got some in the dining room that I changed with Ikea G9 LEDs and they are rubbish. As you say I probably should have bought a better LED bulb than the IKEA ones and they would be fine but I thought it might have been because of the temperature.

Im really restricted with the size of the ones in the living room due to the size of the glass holder on the light fitting but Ive found these which seem to be the highest output at the right size. Are they a decent enough brand?

Soldato
Associate
I have some GU10 spotlights that I've just fitted in my hallways/landings... Can anyone reccommend a reasonable priced set? I don't want to spend crazy money on one, it's only a bulb afterall...

Soldato
Thanks for the info, I am replacing G9 halogens and Ive got some in the dining room that I changed with Ikea G9 LEDs and they are rubbish. As you say I probably should have bought a better LED bulb than the IKEA ones and they would be fine but I thought it might have been because of the temperature.

Im really restricted with the size of the ones in the living room due to the size of the glass holder on the light fitting but Ive found these which seem to be the highest output at the right size. Are they a decent enough brand?

Ahh ok, those are some weird fittings!

Just have a browse around and see who gives you the best price for such fittings. Look at the lumen values if possible, then just buy, fit and forget about them :D

Soldato
Quidco just tracked at £23.48 (on the ex vat total)

Subtotal £146.77
Shipping & Handling £0.00
Discount (30% OFF) -£44.03
Grand Total (Excl.Tax) £78.28
VAT £24.46
Grand Total (Incl.Tax) £102.74

£79.26 total. Not a bad saving

just an update on this order from LED hut

ordered on 27th Nov, some bulbs were out of stock until 2nd Dec, fair enough,

27th Nov, went on to Live Chat and they said they will wait for them bulbs to come in stock before posting out all the order.

2nd Dec, still no email of despatch

3rd Dec, went on to Live chat and said "it would be sent today for posted tomorrow 4th Dec"

3rd Dec, also made an order for 2x dimmable switches for LEDs paid next day delivery

4th Dec, 2x dimmable switches arrived not my 27th Nov order, went on chat and was told they were "slammed yesterday" so didnt go out in the post :o told him i dont think so i got 2x switches in the post so cant believe you were "slammed", then he said they had a technical error and it would be sent out for Monday delivery.
i asked if they could send for Saturday delivery as i need them for this weekend or alternatively i can collect as I also in Manchester, he said yes for Saturday delivery, we shall wait and see...

Back
Top Bottom