LED Bulb Thread

Associate
I bought some 'dimmable' LED bulbs from costco the other day. They're in my touch lamps, but when in they buzz a lot. Is this normal? Safe? Is dimmable in a touch lamp different to dimmable on a standard light switch?

Associate
I had to replace the inners of my dim switch when I swapped to LEDs in one of my bedrooms. I didn't need the dim option so ended up just putting a normal switch in.

I had an old light from IKEA that did the same. I gave in and only ever used it at full light. I think this was the old style energy saving bulbs though.

Soldato
Right guys, wondering if you could help, after some specific bulbs.

All 4000K colour

SES (E14) 100-125ish Lumens
ES (E27) 300-400 Lumens, Globe
ES (E27) 300-400 Lumens, Candle/Narrow sphere shape

Any ideas where?

Caporegime
I bought some 'dimmable' LED bulbs from costco the other day. They're in my touch lamps, but when in they buzz a lot. Is this normal? Safe? Is dimmable in a touch lamp different to dimmable on a standard light switch?

The dimmer in a touch lamp is unlikely to be designed to dim LEDs.

Caporegime
Soldato
Candle lamps have traditionally only ever been for specific light fittings that wouldn't really look right with a 4000k lamp in. Are you sure you want a 4000k candle?

See if anything here takes your fancy

http://luxreview.com/article/2015/05/retro-lamps-10-of-the-best

Candle shape rather than style, like this: http://www.megamanlighting.com/en/l...n-directional/candle/LC0505dv2-E27-4000K-230V

It's for a couple of ceiling lights that quite "flush" so there is a limit on bulb diameter.

Soldato
Hi,

I recently ordered THESE, and installed them in the bedroom with a dimmer. Unbeknownst to me I needed a compatible dimmer switch, so when I installed them they emitted a loud buzz.

I have since installed one of THESE VARILIGHT DIMMER SWITCHES and the buzz is still there, despite this being the exact switch I supposedly need to eliminate the problem. Has anyone ever experienced such issue with LED bulbs?

Permabanned
I've just bought a 3W LED GLS bulb from Poundland (for a quid!)
it claims 220 lumens

It looks like a <40W bulb to me and the casing doesn't even get warm.
Its definitely not blue tinted in colour.

I would have preferred a E27 fitting and a higher rating, but for £1 it's good enough to use in less important areas.

Soldato
Hi,

I recently ordered THESE, and installed them in the bedroom with a dimmer. Unbeknownst to me I needed a compatible dimmer switch, so when I installed them they emitted a loud buzz.

I have since installed one of THESE VARILIGHT DIMMER SWITCHES and the buzz is still there, despite this being the exact switch I supposedly need to eliminate the problem. Has anyone ever experienced such issue with LED bulbs?

Furthermore to this I've popped my kitchen LEDs in this fitment to test. They're
4.5 Watt GU10 COB Bulb - Wide Beam Angle- Dimmable, and they don't buzz or flicker on the dimmer switch.

Awaiting a reply from LEDhut on this as I suspect they could be a dodgy batch?

Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
Possibly a daft question, but I'm looking to buy a couple of replacement 8w fluorescent tubes for some under cabinet lights in my kitchen. Now admittedly, I'm judging this from a trip to B&Q, but it looks as if the existing lights might be a non-standard size, as they're 337mm in length by 12mm diameter. The lamps currently in place are Lytlec branded, the only other indentifier being the code 2700k printed on them.

Would this be a model number or a size code or something?

Thanks!

Soldato
Does anyone have these:
http://cpc.farnell.com/philips-lighting/mled6wcndlb22/6w-master-ledcandle-diamondspark/dp/LP08361

If so are they any good?

Looking to replace my front room bulbs and whilst these Philips are probably good I will try to find them atleast half the rrp as they are too expensive imo. If I can't I will go with something like these instead (solely based on price):

http://cpc.farnell.com/integral-led...6w-equivalent-40w-2700k-warm-white/dp/LP08090

Your preferred bulbs are £6.29 here for a kickoff:

http://www.energybulbs.co.uk/philip...bAI8WGTP6JWm_4WURhr1PWUXfpSWzhypZpRoC5Trw_wcB

I've got a few Philips bulbs installed. No problems as of yet.

Soldato
Possibly a daft question, but I'm looking to buy a couple of replacement 8w fluorescent tubes for some under cabinet lights in my kitchen. Now admittedly, I'm judging this from a trip to B&Q, but it looks as if the existing lights might be a non-standard size, as they're 337mm in length by 12mm diameter. The lamps currently in place are Lytlec branded, the only other indentifier being the code 2700k printed on them.

Would this be a model number or a size code or something?

Thanks!

The 2700k is the colour temperature of the bulb: http://www.westinghouselighting.com/color-temperature.aspx

Is this anything close? http://www.lamps2udirect.com/fluorescent-tubes/t4-lytlec-8-watt-fluorescent-tube/67035

Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Hi

Recently ordered some bulbs from led hut, I've ordered from here in the past, so ordered again recently due to past good service. My order has got delayed somehow at there warehouse.

Anyway hopefully should get it sorted but thought I would check reviews of them and I was amazed at all the 1 star reviews, what's happened, have they gone downhill? They used to be mentioned on here a lot.

Any better places to order from.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi

Recently ordered some bulbs from led hut, I've ordered from here in the past, so ordered again recently due to past good service. My order has got delayed somehow at there warehouse.

Anyway hopefully should get it sorted but thought I would check reviews of them and I was amazed at all the 1 star reviews, what's happened, have they gone downhill? They used to be mentioned on here a lot.

Any better places to order from.

Thanks

I placed an order with LED Hut a little while back and was very disappointed, not only was my delivery late but three of the 10 lamps failed within a week and the dimmer switch that was specifically recommended for the type of lamp and set up I have buzzes constantly.

This is not the first order I have placed with them but it will be the last :( it would appear they have gone to the dogs.

Soldato
doh! wish I checked the recent reviews before i ordered now!:(

They really do seem like they have gone to the dogs.

Someone said my order would be posted yesterday, still hasn't.

This will be my last order.

Back
Top Bottom