LED Bulb Thread

Soldato
An electrician friend of mine told me at the weekend that Megaman have some new 6w single LED bulbs, he says they easily beat 50w halogens, I asked him to pick me a couple up. They seem to be about £12 each and are dimmable.

Soldato
Another of my bulbs from sophia.wang2010 has just started flickering. So that's 2 out of 4 now, I'm sure the other 2 will follow soon. I went for LED bulbs as I was sick of halogen ones dying after 6 months and these last even less :rolleyes:.

I might have a look in B&Q next time I visit. At least I could then take them back if they're faulty. £13 a bulb is more than I would have liked to spend and It's just my luck that the same thing will happen with these.

Soldato
I have yt to have any issue with any of the bulb types i bought from wholesaleled people, and they do quidco.
You could try a couple marka and ee what you think before throwing 13 a bulb, might be worth it.
I will post later with excavtly what i bought and the numbers in which i bought them.

Caporegime
I've replaced all our Halogens with 5W LED equivalants. The light isn't as warm or as nice, but its plenty bright (too bright in some places!) and we're saving a massive amount of energy.

Caporegime
i got 6 eBay E14s which were fine until one started flashing this morning and has now failed :(.

About 7 wks old so not that long life !

Soldato
Bought the following recently for give or take £6.50 each, all based on 5050 SMDs.

Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt 9 (LLLCLED27SMDGU105W)
GU10 LED BULB 7W (LDR-SMD29)
SuperLEDTM GU10 LED BULB 5.5W (GU10-27SMD-WARM)

All three were supposed to be warm, and the Long Life Company and SuperLED were, the other one tho, was very, very white, but I've got used to it.

All as bright as the 50W halogens they replaced. Now just got to see how long they last...

Associate
Another of my bulbs from sophia.wang2010 has just started flickering. So that's 2 out of 4 now, I'm sure the other 2 will follow soon. I went for LED bulbs as I was sick of halogen ones dying after 6 months and these last even less :rolleyes:.

I might have a look in B&Q next time I visit. At least I could then take them back if they're faulty. £13 a bulb is more than I would have liked to spend and It's just my luck that the same thing will happen with these.

Avoid Sophie Wang like the plague, 2 Lamp Bulbs dead within 2 weeks, and 2 GU10 dead after 1 month

Associate
OP
Hi All

I've converted all 43 GU10 fittings in my flat to LED - all from the Diall range @ B&Q. I absolutely stand by the quality of these products. I am slightly biassed - i was part of the team who sourced them in the Far East.

Furthermore, the current range of Philips lamps (now withdrawn from Tesco) were severely over claiming according to the latest legislation. As will most of the bulbs you are finding on e8ay. Diall 35 & 50w are approximately equivalent to a 38 & 52w GU10 using the latest DIM 2 legislation.

If you join the B&Q club, you will get 3for2 on all bulbs as a permanent deal.

Sales pitch over :)

These are the ones I installed from the OP and have been going strong for months now, used often, hope b&q have the same deal.as they did when I first got them soon, 9 for £20, its probably saved me more than that in electricity by now.

Associate
These are the ones I installed from the OP and have been going strong for months now, used often, hope b&q have the same deal.as they did when I first got them soon, 9 for £20, its probably saved me more than that in electricity by now.

Hi Colbaker

As stated in my post - the 3 For 2 on ALL bulbs is permanent. You just have to sign up to the B&Q Club online.

In addition, the bulbs you have bought must be the 1.4w which are really only designed for accent lighting. That said, many homes are 'over' lit which means bulbs like that can be used to great effect.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi All

I've converted all 43 GU10 fittings in my flat to LED - all from the Diall range @ B&Q. I absolutely stand by the quality of these products. I am slightly biassed - i was part of the team who sourced them in the Far East.

Furthermore, the current range of Philips lamps (now withdrawn from Tesco) were severely over claiming according to the latest legislation. As will most of the bulbs you are finding on e8ay. Diall 35 & 50w are approximately equivalent to a 38 & 52w GU10 using the latest DIM 2 legislation.

If you join the B&Q club, you will get 3for2 on all bulbs as a permanent deal.

Sales pitch over :)

3 for 2 sounds good. What is the warranty on the bulbs?

Are they any cheaper if I'm a trade customer? I signed up ages ago and have yet to receive the card, but I'll chase it up if i can get the bulbs cheaper.

Last edited:
Associate
Back
Top Bottom