LED Bulb Thread

Associate
I've made quite a few purchases from LedHut (LumiLife bulbs) over the past few months, everything from GU10 to ES and bayonet. Nice warm white glow and no flicker, happy with the GU10's especially.

However, I would not recommend buying any "60Watt+ replacement" or any single bulb putting out 800lumens or greater. I have one of these and an ES one of the same type. And while the warm white color, lack of flicker and light output is all fantastic, they get hot after being on for a while! Like 80+ celcius hot (measured with laser thermometer, after 30min mine was 82c on the outside!). This is bound to significantly reduce their lifespan, I reckon I'll be lucky if I get 3 years out of them...

In my lounge I didn't want to replace the single light fitting, which has used a 150Watt incandescent so far. So I stupidly bought a few of those cheap "corn cob" bulbs from a certain auction site (here is one of them in my bathroom). These were truly awful! Very unnatural colour, lower light output than advertised, and HORRIBLE flickering "strobe" effect. Some were even being sold without any plastic/glass covering leaving exposed soldering joints which is just insane.

Anyway I persisted, and after searching for weeks finally found some powerful enough 20+Watt LED bulbs with good colour, no flicker, strong output, widest possible coverage and no heat problems. In fact there seems to be just one German seller out there right now with a product like this ("liqoo-england" on a popular auction site - I have no connection bar making a few purchases from this person). Below is a photo of the B22 30Watt MONSTER currently installed in my lounge, equivalent to a 200Watt incandescent(!):
lounge.jpg

Yes it's big, but my ball-shaped shade completely covers it. Note the metal heatsinks behind each strip, most just don't have them and it averages 45c (never goes above 50c) which bodes well for a long lifespan.
Lights up a really large room all on its lonesome, which is great for those too lazy to replace light fittings :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Taf, your issue is that you have massively inefficient light fittings so are trying to overcome physical limitations by putting something with the brightness of the sun in its place.

150w incandescent in a living room is insane.

Soldato
I saw this in John Lewis today, it was on a colour cycle which made a really cool effect.

Was temped to get one, but they were a bit pricey at £70 and sold out anyway.

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-wand-colour-change-led-table-lamp-silver/p1891323

It could be nice on a white table facing a light wall or in a corner so it bounces the light off the table and wall. Possible alternative if you don't want one the wireless ones like the Philips Hue.

Caporegime
It looks very Chinese. The Philips LivingColors stuff is a much better option if you're wanting to illuminate surfaces rather than just having the stick itself being part of the attraction.

Soldato
Had a quick look at them and they look really nice. No drivers etc. Where did you find the best deals? Do you know if they need a special led trailing edge dimmer with everything being onboard?

They look pretty average in terms of lumen output and arn't particularly great value.

The below lights from ECOLED eclipse them completely (driver is off board though, but very small). If you want to spend more money then the ZEP6 range make even the ZEP1 look normal.

http://www.ecoledlight.co.uk/zep1-zep-1-fixed/p1/

I wouldn't go near these Auroras or other brands after using a good range of the ECOLED fittings, they really are head and shoulders above the other variations out there.

Last edited:
Associate
They look pretty average in terms of lumen output and arn't particularly great value.

The below lights from ECOLED eclipse them completely (driver is off board though, but very small). If you want to spend more money then the ZEP6 range make even the ZEP1 look normal.

http://www.ecoledlight.co.uk/zep1-zep-1-fixed/p1/

I wouldn't go near these Auroras or other brands after using a good range of the ECOLED fittings, they really are head and shoulders above the other variations out there.

Hi thanks for the feedback. I have requested a quote from them. The outputs do seem a lot higher with the ECOLED and more customisable which is always good.

Associate
Hey guy.
Just got 2 new light fittings which have 12 (yes 12) 28 watt G9 bulbs in them. So obviously Im thinking about LEDs as 672 watts to light 2 rooms is crazy. Its the living room and dining room so not sure what colour temperature to look at or what makes or anything. Any ideas? We are considering dimmable ones too.
The current bulbs are also too bright for our room.

Soldato
Hi thanks for the feedback. I have requested a quote from them. The outputs do seem a lot higher with the ECOLED and more customisable which is always good.

They are stunning, but the prices are around the range of the Aurora type fittings.

They are usually pretty busy so I phone and have a chat. Speak to E36GUY over on Pistonheads forum as he works for them and can sort you out :)

Associate
They are stunning, but the prices are around the range of the Aurora type fittings.

They are usually pretty busy so I phone and have a chat. Speak to E36GUY over on Pistonheads forum as he works for them and can sort you out :)

Thanks Ad, had a chat with him really nice/knowledgeable guy. Hopefully they will be a nice step up on the run of the mill LEDs. Will get some pics up once its done.

Soldato
Does anyone have a good MR16 ( 2 pin) replacement recommendation?

From what I have seen are the Gu16 just the same only you swap out the two pin connector to the power?.

Caporegime

Where are you sourcing them for ~£25 a unit?

I take your point on the efficacy (going by the quoted figures at least, 100 lumens+ per watt is a bold claim), but the EcoLEDs are roughly 50% more expensive and I can't find any trade publications that have tested them to verify the claims. There's more to a luminaire than the amount of beans you can get out of it for a given wattage.

I would imagine the Aurora's lose some output due to the lens arrangement to make them look more like a halogen, and this is something they do incredibly well. Seeing as that was part of the brief for this project that was an important factor in the purchase.

Edit: It's bugging me now, I've definitely seen a large amount of the Ecoled range before under a different brand. I'm struggling to remember who it was though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Curses! I've realised where the "cost saving" thing falls down on these LED bulbs... the cost of the dimmer switches!

Can anyone recommend some decent ones for use with LED bulbs, I need:

3 gang, running:
  • 3x 4.5w
  • 3x 4.5w
  • 2x 4.5w
1 gang running 3x 4.5w
1 gang running 6.3w

Not hugely fussed if they're plain white ones, but metallic grey/black or chrome would be preferable for the 3 gang if it's not significantly more expensive.

Ideally I'd like the ones with the "click" action as you rotate them, but I can live without.

So far all I've really found is the Varilight V-Pro series, which are about £45 for the 3 gang and £15 for the 1 gangs; so about twice the price of normal dimmers!

Soldato
Haggisman,

are theyse the 4.5watt LED GU10's from LEDhut?

honestly, the vpro's are the best opton at the moment - you don't have to buy them as an assembled unit though - you can buy the dimmer modules on their own and fit them to an existing faceplate (if you have one) - that might work out cheaper.

be aware that dimming only 3 GU10's is fraught with problems, and dimming 2 would not usually be advised without a dummy load (which defeats even more of the point of having LED's

so far I've found that these bulbs:
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/gu10-led-bulbs/new-4-5-watt-gu10-led-350-lumens.html (I have a lot of them!)
play very nicely with V-pro dimmers. I have large gangs though, but I did test them down to 3 bulbs and that was about the limmit before they start flickering.

you may want to consider something with more load like these 7watt bulbs:
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/gu10-led-bulbs/7-watt-gu10-led-spotlight-70w-replacement.html

Back
Top Bottom