Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
not 100%
I play on a 1080ti which can only do 120hz and still get the same problem, on "gsync compatible". Which makes me think that this issue is something to do with the Gsync/freesync feature.
I reckon that its whilst you are outside of the g/freesync range when the issue happens... EG, if you're within the G/freesync refresh rate range, it'll happen. if you're under 30 fps or over 160hz or whatever the range is... it'll happen.

exceptions being if vsync is on, IE on desktop... it wont happen.
as i play a lot of older games, so i run 4k120hz, but run over the 120hz range with gsync comptible on... i get the issue. I reckon if the games were under 120hz, i think i wouldn't get the issue.

thoughts?

Not the case for me the two games I play one is league of legends locked at 120fps at 144hz & 160hz
The other is dark souls remastered 60fps locked.

Both them games I have had the black screen happen and another game I have seen it happen on is sea of thieves.

But so far it's another night for me without the black screen since moving the power adapter from being Velcro strapped underneath my desk.

Associate
The location of the power brick just sounds mad to me. Whats the logic/idea behind that thinking?
That depending on where it is, it gets more/less interference from other devices?

Soldato
The location of the power brick just sounds mad to me. Whats the logic/idea behind that thinking?
That depending on where it is, it gets more/less interference from other devices?

Interference might be an issue but for me it seems to be heat related.

When I removed the adapter from the Velcro it was super hot to the touch.

Just maybe my issue was the adapter was getting to hot and the monitor was loose power for a few moments at a time.

Associate
All should (I have already done it) write to LG support to get their attention. Their response is not too much useful, basically they offer to send monitor to them for checking it themself. I'm certainly not gonna do this, coz at 144Hz I don't have issues.

Associate
All should (I have already done it) write to LG support to get their attention. Their response is not too much useful, basically they offer to send monitor to them for checking it themself. I'm certainly not gonna do this, coz at 144Hz I don't have issues.

what even is the point of OCing to 160hz? No GPU can even reach 144fps at 4K so what’s the point of 160hz 4k?

Associate
This is abit wrong tbh it depends on the game. older titles or CSGO, League of legends etc all run at over 160fps

very true, but, do you really need 160fps for league of legends? lol. I can understand competitive gaming like CSGO but is there even a lot of difference between 144 and 160?

Associate
what even is the point of OCing to 160hz? No GPU can even reach 144fps at 4K so what’s the point of 160hz 4k?
I've got radeon 6900xt. CS GO, DOTA, PUBG - all stable 155fps (capped at exactly this level). In PUBG settings for lighting and shadows are at low. All games are at native 4k. In single player games wide frequency range allows to exclude tearing at the "easy for GPU" moments when fps might spike above the freesync range. Another question is that there is no perceivable difference between 144 and 160Hz from the point of view of input lag, if there were, I would have already sent monitor to LG to investigate the black screens.

Associate
between 144 and 160 no I do not see a difference I actually lock to 120fps

But well if you can why not :D

I've got radeon 6900xt. CS GO, DOTA, PUBG - all stable 155fps (capped at exactly this level). In PUBG settings for lighting and shadows are at low. All games are at native 4k. In single player games wide frequency range allows to exclude tearing at the "easy for GPU" moments when fps might spike above the freesync range. Another question is that there is no perceivable difference between 144 and 160Hz from the point of view of input lag, if there were, I would have already sent monitor to LG to investigate the black screens.

@shankly1985 this is what I mean though... if you don't see the difference, why frustrate yourself with the black screens? no point. don't get me wrong I can understand why people are getting upset, they're not getting the advertised frequency but honestly I don't even think it would bother me, I was happy with 120hz, and ill be more than happy with 144.

@Oversemper I agree with you. there is no difference so people shouldn't be frustrated just be happy that you got 1 whilst so many other people are still waiting, including myself lol.

Soldato
@shankly1985 this is what I mean though... if you don't see the difference, why frustrate yourself with the black screens? no point. don't get me wrong I can understand why people are getting upset, they're not getting the advertised frequency but honestly I don't even think it would bother me, I was happy with 120hz, and ill be more than happy with 144.

@Oversemper I agree with you. there is no difference so people shouldn't be frustrated just be happy that you got 1 whilst so many other people are still waiting, including myself lol.

Black screens are happening at 144hz, 160hz it was just worst.

Associate
This is abit wrong tbh it depends on the game. older titles or CSGO, League of legends etc all run at over 160fps

Sorry for your issue, this is one of the reasons (also couldn't really see the improvement in fidelity at 4k vs 1440p in games I play- COD, HZ Dawn, Forza etc) I returned the 2X GP950s I had, and settled for the 1440p GP850-b (at £399- so just over half price) instead which is fine and no black screens.

It might be a firmware update is all that's needed to sort- Hopefully the manufacturer will release one soon.

Associate
Black screens are happening at 144hz, 160hz it was just worst.
I presume that I just wasn't lucky enough to get a black screen at 144hz@140fps_cap mode. At 160hz@155fps_cap mode I cannot play a single complete PUBG round (~30 minutes) without getting at least one black flick. So, it is not the OCing, it is some internal freesync/gsync bug, hopefully fixable via a firmware update.

And an important notice, neither windows 10 event viewer nor radeon drivers records or detects that something is wrong. All happens inside the 27GP950 body.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom