Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I presume that I wasn't just lucky enough to get a black screen at 144hz@140fps_cap mode. At 160hz@155fps_cap mode I cannot play a single complete PUBG round (~30 minutes) without getting at least one black flick. So, it is not the OCing, it is some internal freesync/gsync bug, hopefully fixable via a firmware update.

And an important notice, neither windows 10 event viewer not radeon drivers records or detects that something is wrong. All happens inside the 27GP950 body.

Yep this is what I am getting, nothing is reported from Windows not even a disconnected sound plays.

Soldato
Associate
Sorry for your issue, this is one of the reasons (also couldn't really see the improvement in fidelity at 4k vs 1440p in games I play- COD, HZ Dawn, Forza etc) I returned the 2X GP950s I had, and settled for the 1440p GP850-b (at £399- so just over half price) instead which is fine and no black screens.

It might be a firmware update is all that's needed to sort- Hopefully the manufacturer will release one soon.

I hope they can reseal your returned monitors and ship it out to the 99 preorders OC has lol.

Soldato
GN950 had a black screen issue also according to this reddit thread and some said the issue was fixed using a better DP cable but then some said it never.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/k0gnvf/lg_27gn950b_160hz_firmware_update_now_available/

I have read that thread its a different type of black screen. The issue with GN950 model was the stock cable isn't good enough for 160hz so the monitor would just remain on a black screen when 160hz mode was enabled.
On the GP950 the black screen is happening on both 144hz and 160hz in my case just games and it comes and goes its a black screen for around 2/3 seconds.

Associate
I hope they can reseal your returned monitors and ship it out to the 99 preorders OC has lol.

Lol. They’ve probably been sold (from another company) for full price and resealed as you say. (They were powered on for only 3hours). Tbh I treated both with kid gloves and kept the seals on the edges in case I had to return.

Soldato
I have read that thread its a different type of black screen. The issue with GN950 model was the stock cable isn't good enough for 160hz so the monitor would just remain on a black screen when 160hz mode was enabled.
On the GP950 the black screen is happening on both 144hz and 160hz in my case just games and it comes and goes its a black screen for around 2/3 seconds.

Yeah i guess you googled the hell out of this just thought i would mention it :) hope they find a solution.

Associate

Yeh does seem to be a different issue, I replaced my cables and its made no difference.

Associate
I've just submitted a customer service request via the LG website, it only took a few seconds.... I think we should try and inundate them a bit. Might get some actual action rather than all our speculations and home-attempts to fix :p

Associate
I've just submitted a customer service request via the LG website, it only took a few seconds.... I think we should try and inundate them a bit. Might get some actual action rather than all our speculations and home-attempts to fix :p
That's a good thing. I am sure they will be able to replicate the black screens on their side without us sending them our monitors. Also it would be awesome if they released a usb debugging utility to see internal logs.

Soldato
Yeah i guess you googled the hell out of this just thought i would mention it :) hope they find a solution.

Yep I am now a qualified monitor black screen bug hunter I have been to thread from 2014 :cry::cry:

Someone I know is convinced my issue is related to LG poor choice of capacitors and my house circuit might be the issue. Up stairs plug sockets are on the same breaker panel as the kitchen, the black screen is a result.

Soldato

Yeah I have also sent a report to LG I have my first replay other day by email what model number etc But I replied to the email and thinking its been almost a week no replied its then I noticed the email you need to use the link to replay directly to them.

So just an heads up.

Soldato
That's a good thing. I am sure they will be able to replicate the black screens on their side without us sending them our monitors. Also it would be awesome if they released a usb debugging utility to see internal logs.

Hopefully the black screen is the monitor for a split second losing power because even the OSD frame counter goes its like the monitor is switched off complete black screen not like a black lit up screen if you get me.

Associate
So I got lucky enough to have a black screen at 144Hz. Been playing halo 2 mcc at 120fps cap. It blinked once during a ~3 hours game session. It's officially not the OCing to 160Hz to cause it.

Associate
Is anyone getting the blackout issue playing on a PS5?
Does PS5 support freesync (Variable Refresh Rate)? I have a feeling that black screens occur only in the VRR interval with VRR enabled. Once I forgot to re-enable freesync for the 3rd tomb raider (shadow of...) and was playing at 160hz with unlimited FPS for an hour without black screens. Then I noticed tearing and re-enable freesync in the radeon settings (was disabled by me for benchmarking) and got a black screen within 10-15 minutes.

Last edited:
Associate
Is anyone getting the blackout issue playing on a PS5?

Was about to ask the same, would hope it isn't an issue for PS5.

Hopefully LG gets on it quickly. So many here are having the issue it has to be very widespread.

Does PS5 support freesync (Variable Refresh Rate)? I have a filing that black screens occurs only in the VRR interval with VRR enabled. Once I forgot to re-enable freesync for the 3rd tomb raider (shadow of...) and was playing at 160hz with unlimited FPS for an hour without black screens. Then I noticed tearing and re-enable freesync in the radeon settings (was disabled by me for benchmarking) and got a black screen within 10-15 minutes.

It doesn't, but will in the future (at least according to Sony)

Associate
Not black screen related but just to say how awesome this monitor actually is (or potentially after the black screen issue fix). Freesync range is 48-160 Hz in the radeon settings. Playing with ray tracing I had fps drops way below 48 frames threshold and to my surprise there were no tearing, and it was exceptionally smooth (as if within a freesync range). Then I for some other reason during a low fps scene pressed menu button on the monitor, went to settings and saw this: refresh rate is TWICE the FPS, it was like 32 fps and refresh rate was 64 Hz, there were no tearing whatsoever and very smooth picture. Enhanced sync is turned off (I never use it with this monitor). So, I guess, 27GP950 doubles the refresh rate for lower than 48 fps moments and shows each frame twice thereby maintaining untearable picture. Well, maybe it is a known technique, but I've never experienced it before on 60 Hz 4k displays which I've used.

Back
Top Bottom