Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Monitor has finally arrived, played 4 hours of Tales of Arise without any issues

(at 95hz, since I'm still on a 1080ti for now)

Seem to have gotten a panel with minimal BLB, which is nice, will update if I have issues

edit: 30mins later, black screen for 2 seconds whilst watching a movie, for ***** sake

using the included DP cable, FreeSync is on, HDR is off

Does freesync work on the video application?

I haven't had a single black screen while on desktop, all mine is gaming.

Soldato
So I have just bought this from the rainforest, Cable Matters DisplayPort Repeater and a 1m cable matching what I have now that will come tomorrow.

So I am thinking these black screens are due to the limitation of the cable 3m pushing max refresh rate and resolutions. I also think the reason for the cable in the box saying 5k on it is a given that is also not good enough for the total max of this display and the reason for the ultra HDMI included in the box is LG recommend using that.

Now this is all speculation on my part but has anyone in here ran this monitor without a black screen on the HDMI port? also, have you guys tried just 120hz? Because for few days now its not happened at 120hz 4k.

I will report back if these thing works out but given the nature of my black screens I have set a two week if I can last that long I will say its fixed.

If not well rainforest is excellent for returns and I will just return it and added it to the long list of what I have tried and pass this onto LG when I hit them with a replacement unit, this is the last thing I am trying with this monitor and tbh I think I have gone long enough now and most users would have been already demanding a replacement by now.

On the phone to LG tomorrow requesting a replacement unit. I got the DP repeater running today but sadly I had a black screen on my 3rd game of league of legeneds.

Associate
So having had this monitor since June, my advice to anyone considering buying it, is don't.

I got my GP950 in the first batch that OC received and initially was very happy with it; looked great and worked great, but that unfortunately didn't last and the service regarding my problems has been poor.

The issues

After a few weeks the monitor started developing two issues:

1. During gaming, the screen would intermittently go completely black for a few seconds, before coming back on and the 'HDR' notification would appear in the top right. Sometimes this would happen once a night, sometimes it would happen every 3 minutes for an hour.
2. The second issue was even more alarming; the left hand side of the panel, in certain areas during gaming, would for a few frames show a white fuzzy section - this would occur fairly often and over time, appeared to be getting worse.

e8rN937.jpg.png

What happened next?

I suffered a few days of the issues, tried various cables, different ports, extensively tested my PC to make sure the issues wasn't there and just hoped (naively) that it might resolve itself, alas it didn't and it was obvious I needed to do something about it.

I received the monitor on 15/06 and raised a ticked with OC on 17/07, 2 days outside of OC's 30-day return window, so the response from them (specifically Bryn A) was to immediately kick it away and say I should contact LG... not particularly great customer service. It being fairly apparent that OC wanted nothing to do with it, I got in touch with LG, who much to their credit, arranged to collect the monitor.

LG picked the monitor up on 23/7 and I had it back, allegedly repaired, by 28/7 - a good turnaround. They advised they'd changed the LCD panel.

I then used the monitor and for a time it seemed to be ok; occasionally the black screen HDR issue would happen, but I was starting to think that might be a firmware issue which might get patched at some point.

I then was in the froes of moving home, so my whole set up was packed away for a few weeks.

The return

Roll on a few weeks and I'm in my new place, PC set up again and I start using the monitor in earnest again.

Firstly, the Black screen HDR issue started getting worse, becoming more often. Then the left hand panel started having issues again; seemed to be a single frame now and again, but you'd notice it without seeing it as it was so fleeting. I did manage to video it and get a screen grab.

qUJrHV6.jpg.png

Usually seeing something like that would make me think GPU; but it only occurs on this monitor (using my second screen with the same DP cable/port - no issues at all) and it only happens on the left hand side of the panel.

Where next

At this point, understandably frustrated that a £700 monitor is faulty, despite one attempt to fix it, I got back in touch with LG and send OCUK another ticket. Admittedly, I wasn't expecting much from OC given their reluctance to help with the issue originally, but after two days they've been even less helpful this time round and not even bothered replying... LG for their part, I called them and after the conversation starting fairly well, they said they could look at having it uplifted and effectively approve a refund via OC, but during the course of the call decided they'd instead rather have a second attempt at repairing it. Given their failure the first time round, I'm less than hopeful. I pushed for the uplift and supposedly it'll be escalated and they'll get back to me - I'm still waiting to hear back...

I understand my opinion is somewhat skewed by what is effectively bad luck getting a defective unit, but I could have accepted that had the response to resolving the issue been better. My warning not to buy this stems more from the fact you might get a defective unit and be in a position whereby you have to deal with OC and LG's customer service and woe be you at that point, should that misfortune befall you...

So my GP950 has been uplifted and returned to OC for a refund.

Quite bittersweet to be honest; the screen was good when it was working normally, so I'm disappointed not to have a 4k/144hz monitor now; but I'm also relieved to not have a poorly developed and QC'd monitor.

The question is what to do now... replace with the same; a G9 maybe; or an LG C1... or wait and see what comes in the next 6 months.

Associate
So my GP950 has been uplifted and returned to OC for a refund.

Quite bittersweet to be honest; the screen was good when it was working normally, so I'm disappointed not to have a 4k/144hz monitor now; but I'm also relieved to not have a poorly developed and QC'd monitor.

The question is what to do now... replace with the same; a G9 maybe; or an LG C1... or wait and see what comes in the next 6 months.

At least you have that option :p
I agree its a great monitor, when it's working correctly. Which is pretty much what I put in my review of the product... which hasn't been approved yet it seems -_-
I can't recommend this monitor to people at the moment, it just has too many issues.
I'd say to look at something different, unless you're ok with risking another faulty unit.

Soldato
can anyone recommend their best settings for this monitor/I am using this youtubers setting for now / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWyGXKkLnVQ :p
Unless having very very bright room illumination 100% brightness is off the charts bat crazy.
At the distances you're looking at 27" monitor you would need sunglasses to tolerate that brightness...
And have decent looking black.
It's brightness which decided how good black you can get, because LCD panel can block only limited amount of backlight.

In moderate room illumination more like 15% brightness would be better starting point and give some hope of black looking black.

Associate
Unless having very very bright room illumination 100% brightness is off the charts bat crazy.
At the distances you're looking at 27" monitor you would need sunglasses to tolerate that brightness...
And have decent looking black.
It's brightness which decided how good black you can get, because LCD panel can block only limited amount of backlight. dropped it to 55 to see how it is:p

In moderate room illumination more like 15% brightness would be better starting point and give some hope of black looking black.
Your right i had to turn the brightness down it was giving me a headache

OcUK Staff
OP
Wow, that's really really bad! Maybe @NikTheSHNIK can help you out in some way? Hopefully they keep a couple spare...

We oversold by a few units as there is a lag in between taking an item off sale and the item not being available for sale on the website.

We sent out orders in time date order so there was no jumping the queue from anyone.

I emailed everyone at the tail end of orders who we didn't have enough for to keep them informed with the latest ETA so they could cancel their pre-order if they wished. Or hold on to it if they wanted to wait.

Trust me your order number @Fabrix2005 so I can look into it for you in case a mistake has been made.

Hah, yeah that's how OCUK have been handling these monitors, it's a bit dodgy, they page did say that it's a "pre-order" though right?

(also hiking the price up a cool £150 since the last orders is an oof)

The price was increased by £40 ex vat on the 07/05 and that is the only increase we have made.

Soldato
We oversold by a few units as there is a lag in between taking an item off sale and the item not being available for sale on the website.

We sent out orders in time date order so there was no jumping the queue from anyone.

I emailed everyone at the tail end of orders who we didn't have enough for to keep them informed with the latest ETA so they could cancel their pre-order if they wished. Or hold on to it if they wanted to wait.

Trust me your order number @Fabrix2005 so I can look into it for you in case a mistake has been made.

The price was increased by £40 ex vat on the 07/05 and that is the only increase we have made.

Nik

Do overclockers have any information about the black screen issue this unit is facing?

It seems quite a lot of them is affected is OCUk putting anything in place?

When I contacted you guys I basically was one of the first reporting the issue I was simply told to contact LG.

Back
Top Bottom