Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
So having had this monitor since June, my advice to anyone considering buying it, is don't.

I got my GP950 in the first batch that OC received and initially was very happy with it; looked great and worked great, but that unfortunately didn't last and the service regarding my problems has been poor.

The issues

After a few weeks the monitor started developing two issues:

1. During gaming, the screen would intermittently go completely black for a few seconds, before coming back on and the 'HDR' notification would appear in the top right. Sometimes this would happen once a night, sometimes it would happen every 3 minutes for an hour.
2. The second issue was even more alarming; the left hand side of the panel, in certain areas during gaming, would for a few frames show a white fuzzy section - this would occur fairly often and over time, appeared to be getting worse.

I understand my opinion is somewhat skewed by what is effectively bad luck getting a defective unit, but I could have accepted that had the response to resolving the issue been better. My warning not to buy this stems more from the fact you might get a defective unit and be in a position whereby you have to deal with OC and LG's customer service and woe be you at that point, should that misfortune befall you...

There certainly are issues with the screen having some sort of splitting.
I also get a kind of 'tear' in the screen when i cold boot the screen sometimes.

I am getting ZERO help from LG with my issues at the moment, I've contacted them via mail as well as DM on twitter and they're now taking weeks to respond to anything to me, even after chasing them up. They're basically ghosting me and clearly the monitor has faults.
I'm half tempted to try and speak to tech media about this, because its just an ****** joke at this point.

Soldato
I also get a kind of 'tear' in the screen when i cold boot the screen sometimes.

I am getting ZERO help from LG with my issues at the moment, I've contacted them via mail as well as DM on twitter and they're now taking weeks to respond to anything to me, even after chasing them up. They're basically ghosting me and clearly the monitor has faults.
I'm half tempted to try and speak to tech media about this, because its just an ****** joke at this point.

You could try calling them take note of your reference number.

[Name] L G Electronics Customer Services
[Mobile] 0344 847 5454

Associate

I've found calling LG to be better than emails.

My latest update is that it's been escalated as a BER claim (beyond economical repair), so we'll see where it goes.

I'd probably happily settle for a replacement, but then the prevalence of the black screening is pretty concerning, so a replacement potentially wouldn't resolve that.

Associate
I got my monitor on monday. It is nice, the colours kick ass for sure, everything is crisp, it is fast, fairly good default settings out of the box, though there are a couple of issues.

I do think (not that I have tried one but at a guess) that if we could get 4k VA monitors that get rid of the black smear and have low response times, those would be amazing monitors.

There is always a tradeoff it seems.

Black screen issue

So I got this following dp cable beforehand to be used with this monitor:
Displayport Cable 1.4 240Hz, DP 1.4 Cable 2M Support 8K@60Hz, 4K@144Hz, 2K@240Hz, HBR3 32.4Gbps, HDR, DSC 1.2, G-Sync & Free-Sync, Silkland Display Port Lead 1.4 for Gaming Monitor, Graphics Card

Unfortunately, it causes the screen to flicker black constantly every second or two, when the monitor is set to 144hz. I put it down to 60hz and then it was ok, but ofcourse that is not good enough. I tried a new hdmi 2.1 cable I had too which was up to 120hz, it was fine. Any idea why that might be?
Fortunately though, the dp cable which says "5k" on it supplied with the monitor seems to be working fine. I have had no black screen yet doing any activity on the monitor.

Reflections

A fair bit of reflection on this monitor I'm finding. Fine on coloured or white content though generally speaking. Just pretty bad when viewing something dark in the day time.

There is backlight bleed too in the corners but that is typical of this panel isn't it. It isn't awful, generally unnoticable, you can see a very slight brighter area on dark content, really isn't all that noticable. Seems like probably about average so I guess I did ok on the panel lottery.

Last edited:
Associate
i grabbed a 3m vesa certified DP 1.4 cable as the '5k' number in the box was for sure iffy. works a charm. KabelDirekt brand.

Associate
so far ive been enjoying my one, ive been playing horizon zero dawn without any issues. I do hope nothing goes wrong, im actually scared to sell my old monitor just incase. I'll maybe give it a month or 2 and see then.

Something i have noticed that anyone with this monitor may or may not be aware of is that it syncs with phillips hue.
I have 3 play bars around my desk and i can control the sphere lighting by switching the hue lights to screen sync etc, i dont know if this is an intended feature but i like it.!

Associate
Welp, with VRR on basic it seems to happen less often? Once a day on average which is an improvement but the lack or reliability is disappointing.

Things that could make it worse
Changing DP cable

Things that make no difference
Changing power sockets
Changing power rings
Changing DP to HDMI
144hz vs 160hz
HDR vs SDR

Things that could make it happen less often
VRR basic mode instead of extended

Things that fix it:
Turning VRR Off.

Associate
Welp, with VRR on basic it seems to happen less often? Once a day on average which is an improvement but the lack or reliability is disappointing.

Things that could make it worse
Changing DP cable

Things that make no difference
Changing power sockets
Changing power rings
Changing DP to HDMI
144hz vs 160hz
HDR vs SDR

Things that could make it happen less often
VRR basic mode instead of extended

Things that fix it:
Turning VRR Off.
what games do you see the issue in?

Associate
Thanks Nik,

Ordered one now for delivery on Saturday as we're off camping now.
Funny really as we go past your unit on the return home Friday haha, could have just picked it up!

Hoping this will be better than my Samsung Quantum Dot 32H850 60hz Monitor for Xbox Series X Gaming!

Actually Quite ****** off :mad: So I order with overclockers when they had stock as nick stated in his post and pay for delivery this Saturday as paid extra.

Only to send me an email saying the item I have ordered is out of stock! was looking forward to getting this monitor as been waiting all year, guess Ill have to get my money back and now buy elsewhere, must have sold my order to someone else buyer beware in stock items when bought doesn't mean they are technically in stock for you to purchase.

Caporegime
Actually Quite ****** off :mad: So I order with overclockers when they had stock as nick stated in his post and pay for delivery this Saturday as paid extra.

Only to send me an email saying the item I have ordered is out of stock! was looking forward to getting this monitor as been waiting all year, guess Ill have to get my money back and now buy elsewhere, must have sold my order to someone else buyer beware in stock items when bought doesn't mean they are technically in stock for you to purchase.

Wow, that's really really bad! Maybe @NikTheSHNIK can help you out in some way? Hopefully they keep a couple spare...

Associate
Wow, that's really really bad! Maybe @NikTheSHNIK can help you out in some way? Hopefully they keep a couple spare...

I hope so but not holding out much hope as stick is hard to find. that as when the note was order I ordered in seconds to make sure I got one, I sold both my monitors too so now Im now stuffed as was only going to order one if they had the stock to replace it. Ordered, took payment and said would be here this Saturday! then get the email saying not in stock. It pretty poor to be honest..

Associate

I've also been a victim of this in the past and its not the first time I've heard of it happening. Overclockers used to be a good online retailer but not so good anymore and certainly not my first choice when shopping online for tech.

Caporegime
I hope so but not holding out much hope as stick is hard to find. that as when the note was order I ordered in seconds to make sure I got one, I sold both my monitors too so now Im now stuffed as was only going to order one if they had the stock to replace it. Ordered, took payment and said would be here this Saturday! then get the email saying not in stock. It pretty poor to be honest..

That's really odd that yours wasn't reserved then, they were up for sale for hours. Sounds like what happened really shouldn't have happened.

Looks like Nik doesn't bother with the forum that much (unless he's off atm), not been on for over 3 days so you might have to give him a little time to respond.

Associate

Hah, yeah that's how OCUK have been handling these monitors, it's a bit dodgy, they page did say that it's a "pre-order" though right?

(also hiking the price up a cool £150 since the last orders is an oof)

Associate
Hah, yeah that's how OCUK have been handling these monitors, it's a bit dodgy, they page did say that it's a "pre-order" though right?

(also hiking the price up a cool £150 since the last orders is an oof)

Its pretty bad to be honest as its my first experience from them. It didn't say I was purchasing a pre order at all either. It showed green saying 10 Items in stock. It just seems a big kick in the balls tbh. Ill give them 24 hours to try and remedy it, if not Ill take my tech purchases elsewhere. They were quick enough to take payment and secure my shipping date of the in stock item. Just seems very peculiar…unless they are selling other items for more money elsewhere? As they are sought after? I dunno..

Back
Top Bottom