Poll: ** LG 27GP950 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY **

Do you have any black screen issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Sounds like for the money (£800) this monitor is work in progress and really ought not to have any issues. I am so glad I returned mine and bought the 1440p version (27Gp850-b) no black screens and no obvious loss to enjoyment and visual fidelity in games.

Please don't rush out and buy this yet- wait for a few months to see if LG fix the black screening issue with firmware updates...
Agreed. Stock may dwindle out like it did for the 27GN950 too but by then we'll probably receive the next iteration of this monitor with presumably the black screen issues fixed.

Associate
Agreed. Stock may dwindle out like it did for the 27GN950 too but by then we'll probably receive the next iteration of this monitor with presumably the black screen issues fixed.

Really curious to get to the bottom of this black screen issue, think ive played games for about 25 hours this week and its not happened once. I'm only running at 144hz mind so wondering if its when people are in overclocked mode?

Associate
Well unless I'm going mad I swear it seems slightly better today. Is that a thing? Can it ease with time?!
Honestly no idea but the question is will it return just as quickly putting you back to square one. I'd be tempted to open an rma and then see how it plays out over the coming days. If it settles then and you're happy to keep it then great, if not follow through with the rma.

Fingers crossed!

Associate
Honestly no idea but the question is will it return just as quickly putting you back to square one. I'd be tempted to open an rma and then see how it plays out over the coming days. If it settles then and you're happy to keep it then great, if not follow through with the rma.

Fingers crossed!

Yeah thats good advice, I spoke to LG before and they said I'm ok to return it within the next 28 days, well slightly less now that its been 4 already.

Will return it next week if its not cleared up by then.

Associate
Really curious to get to the bottom of this black screen issue, think ive played games for about 25 hours this week and its not happened once. I'm only running at 144hz mind so wondering if its when people are in overclocked mode?
Some have had it with 144hz and OC and with G-Sync enabled/disabled. Hard to figure out whats the cause since the responses have been rather anecdotal. I have read of users who've been using it for months with the black screen issue popping up only once, so again YMMV.

Associate
Yeah, 4 black screens a day with G-Sync on, none after turning it off for weeks.
G-Sync is an Nvidia's trademark for the VRR technology (variable refresh rate). AMD uses "freesync". PS5 and Xbox uses original naming of VRR, but for PS5 sony hasn't activated this tech yet.

Black screens occur for 27GP950 when monitor is at VRR enabled mode within the fps range for VRR (about 40-160fps, depending on the max frequency modes - 144 or 160Hz). Presumably, underline root problem causing black screens is somethings with power delivery, most likely at the VRR enabled mode when synchronizing refresh rate to the FPS feed from the GPU the monitor is very sensitive to any power hiccups or electrical interference.

Associate
G-Sync is an Nvidia's trademark for the VRR technology (variable refresh rate). AMD uses "freesync". PS5 and Xbox uses original naming of VRR, but for PS5 sony hasn't activated this tech yet.

Black screens occur for 27GP950 when monitor is at VRR enabled mode within the fps range for VRR (about 40-160fps, depending on the max frequency modes - 144 or 160Hz). Presumably, underline root problem causing black screens is somethings with power delivery, most likely at the VRR enabled mode when synchronizing refresh rate to the FPS feed from the GPU the monitor is very sensitive to any power hiccups or electrical interference.

Still not convinced it's power-based. My wife got the 27GN950 basically at release, and it's never had a black screen from the same circuit. Changing outlets, power extensions and keeping it on its own circuit didn't change the frequency of the issue at all either.

Associate
Still not convinced it's power-based. My wife got the 27GN950 basically at release, and it's never had a black screen from the same circuit. Changing outlets, power extensions and keeping it on its own circuit didn't change the frequency of the issue at all either.
Well, I hope that it is not power-based so that it can be fixed by a firmware update, but from my own experience and how I fixed it for me - it is power-based.

From your case, it might be a lot of things. Maybe electrical interference which triggers black screens originates from somewhere "upstream" of the power grid and changing wall sockets does not affect the black screen issue. Or maybe when your wife used the monitor it wasn't at VRR mode or fps was higher than upper threshold, or vsync was on, all of these would disable the VRR and, as a consequence, there will be no black screens no matter how long one uses it.

Maybe somebody has a laboratory oscillograph with reference power source which can introduce artificial interference. That will be an ultimate test.

UPDATE: did not notice that you spoke for GN model, not GP; maybe LG cheapped out on the power adapted for the GP950. If it is not difficult for you, share some photos of the GN's and GP's power bricks. That would be interesting.

Associate
GNvsGPAdaptersSmall.png

Full size is here if you don't mind a 27mb file:
https://james.am/GNvsGPAdapters.png

Associate
Cool! Thanks! Electrical characteristics are the same but they are different at least in dimensions. I will not ask you to try and power up GP950 with GN's power brick cause it may theoretically break the monitor, but that would be most interesting to see whether GP950 blinks with black screens when powered via a GN's power adapter.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aiui a Pure Sine wave UPS will only matter once you've switched over to the battery of the UPS, it doesn't impact quality of the regular electrical supply passing through it unless there is additional filtering occuring (not related to Pure Swine wave as such). I've several UPS' in use around the house and all are regular UPS units which have all worked flawlessly for many years. I do use a Mains Conditioner and Radio Frequency Interference Filter on my home cinema rack though, if you wanted a clean supply rather than battery backup that would probably be more appropriate.

Ask yourself why you've never encountered the issue at the desktop or in general use though. To my knowledge, no one in this thread or those i've read has had the issue in general use. The most common factor is VRR enabled gaming either on AMD or Nvidia.

I think it has perhaps been overhyped a bit, I think early stepped sinewaves may have been bad for some PC components, but modern ones have smaller steps can get away with it, of course pure sinewave is a good bet if its an option though.

Back
Top Bottom