LG 27GR95QE (worlds first OLED 240hz 2560x1440p) launches 28 December

So we better wait for the Asus version?
From the sounds of it the answer is a bit more complicated then LG or Asus. Each has differing strong and weak points. I have also seen some people who prefer Gamer 2 mode over Gamer 1 and Gamer 2 mode hits up to 1000nits some people are reporting for the LG screen.

From the sounds of it the answer is a bit more complicated then LG or Asus. Each has differing strong and weak points. I have also seen some people who prefer Gamer 2 mode over Gamer 1 and Gamer 2 mode hits up to 1000nits some people are reporting for the LG screen.
It’s brighter but not very accurate. HDR content is generally mastered for D65 (6500K) and running a cooler and bluer image just makes it less accurate in all regards. The Asus is def brighter for HDR even at D65

Anyone else initially disappointed with this screen? My first impression are not great. The entire screen seems dull and almost washed out although that's not the right word. As expected very deep blacks, great contrast and deep colours. But the brightness and whites are x10 worse then expected. I came from a LG 27GL850 which only has a brightness of 347 and I was running at 70% brightness so I a lot lower then 347 so I wasn't expecting the brightness to hit me this badly. Perhaps its the Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL). Not had chance to mess around with the setting, try HDR or run the new firmware. If I turn off Power save mode does that disable ABL? It feels like the screen is running at 130nits even with 95% dark colours/blacks.

Definitely turn off power saving mode and it will allow you a much wider brightness range. ABL isn’t needed or used on that screen at all in SDR mode :)

@Baddass Can I ask, do you know if the 45gr95qe also has a similar 'heavy' matte coating on the screen as the 27? I've searched around and can't find a definitive answer on this (I hate heavy matte coatings or I'd prob have ordered one by now, have seen in stock). Thanks.

@Baddass Can I ask, do you know if the 45gr95qe also has a similar 'heavy' matte coating on the screen as the 27? I've searched around and can't find a definitive answer on this (I hate heavy matte coatings or I'd prob have ordered one by now, have seen in stock). Thanks.
It uses the same panel as the Corsair Xeneon Flex which I’ve reviewed, and yes the coating is the same

Anyone else initially disappointed with this screen? My first impression are not great. The entire screen seems dull and almost washed out although that's not the right word. As expected very deep blacks, great contrast and deep colours. But the brightness and whites are x10 worse then expected. I came from a LG 27GL850 which only has a brightness of 347 and I was running at 70% brightness so I a lot lower then 347 so I wasn't expecting the brightness to hit me this badly. Perhaps its the Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL). Not had chance to mess around with the setting, try HDR or run the new firmware. If I turn off Power save mode does that disable ABL? It feels like the screen is running at 130nits even with 95% dark colours/blacks.

I'm a little disappointed with mine at the moment. I've gone from a fairly basic Samsung 27" screen, which I've never been overly happy with, to this. Its a nice looking piece of kit and having an actual remote control as opposed to the crappy toggle thing on the back of the Samsung is much better however the picture quality isn't dong anything for at the moment at all. It definitely seems to flow (run smoother) than my Samsung but I'm guessing thats the 120Hz setting?

I'm going to have a little play with the settings/colours this morning and see if I can get it looking a little better. My LG OLED in the lounge certainly seemed to give a nicer image than this when I hooked my xbox up a while back.

I'm hoping its just some settings that need adjusting!!

I'm a little disappointed with mine at the moment. I've gone from a fairly basic Samsung 27" screen, which I've never been overly happy with, to this. Its a nice looking piece of kit and having an actual remote control as opposed to the crappy toggle thing on the back of the Samsung is much better however the picture quality isn't dong anything for at the moment at all. It definitely seems to flow (run smoother) than my Samsung but I'm guessing thats the 120Hz setting?

I'm going to have a little play with the settings/colours this morning and see if I can get it looking a little better. My LG OLED in the lounge certainly seemed to give a nicer image than this when I hooked my xbox up a while back.

I'm hoping its just some settings that need adjusting!!
There might be something wrong with the automatic brightness adjust or I wont understand how its meant to work. Just tried VIVID mode and not only does it look more like my 27GL850 the 27GR95QE is a little brighter with better whites then the 27GL850. The biggest problem is I can see the brightness change as I play games and change the size of a white window which was very noticeable. As I changed the size of the combat log I was looking at, for the MMO I was just playing in Vivid. The brightness clearly changed as expected from the reviews as I scaled the window size. The catch is in Gamer 1 and Gamer 2 modes I cannot see a brightness change. In gamer modes a 10% white window looks the the same brightness as a 100% white window and the 10% window looks as dull as the 100% window. I think in gamer 1 & 2 mode SDR brightness is not scaling based on the contact on the screen. Instead the system is assuming worse case 100% white. I wonder if you have the same problem? Can you get a white folder window and scale it up and down to see if there is a brightness change in gamer 1 mode and Vivid mode.

I personally found Vivid to be me colour accurate and correct then gamer 1 or 2. Vivid on my 27GR95QE looks like gamer 1 mode on the 27GL850. My 27GL850 was setup for photo editing so it reasonably accurate. Going to play around with Vivid and settings some more. Still unsure about the brightness adjusting based on screen content and gamer1 mode after yesterdays gaming session had me wanting to return the screen as unusable even in a light control room. Lets home Vivid gaming today goes better.

EDIT: Gave up on Vivid. It looks stunning in dark screens but as soon as 80% of the screen is bright there is a massive drop off in brightness. In Star Trek Online every time there was an ship explosion there was a massive distracting brightness drop. Also tested on desktop and a full 100% white window in Vivid looks worse then gamer 1 or gamer 2. Vivid only looks better at 50% white and less. Gone back to Gamer 1 for SDR and Gamer 2 for HDR and upped the Contrast to 75 and 80 which has a made a good difference. Not 100% settled on the settings.

Had a quick play in HDR which looks nice no problems there. I think the problem I was having is the default contrast is set to low which I found out thanks to @Baddass best video settings post. Thanks for that.

Last edited:
I got this monitor yesterday and so far i'm finding it pretty incredible for gaming. I'm pretty much overall satisfied with it...
Except the fan.
According to reviews and most internet comments you can't hear the fan at all or its near completely silent. However I can hear mine quite clearly.. its like a quiet buzzing sound.

Hows everyone elses fan?

I got this monitor yesterday and so far i'm finding it pretty incredible for gaming. I'm pretty much overall satisfied with it...
Except the fan.
According to reviews and most internet comments you can't hear the fan at all or its near completely silent. However I can hear mine quite clearly.. its like a quiet buzzing sound.

Hows everyone elses fan?
Nope, I never could hear the fan. Maybe you got super sensitive ears? :P

Your opinion is just another push towards RMA imo!
-I can hear the fan over the computer case (many fans and water pump noises from that)
-Can hear it even with Netflix on the TV in the background
-Can hear it through my open-back headphones

Pretty sure it's just come off its bearings or something

-I can hear the fan over the computer case (many fans and water pump noises from that)

It can get worse like still having HDDs lol. Oh wait, I still use HDDs....since 2014....FML

Zero issues because of using headphones when gaming.

I dont have anything to compare it to but surely if you can it in all those scanerios then its must be faulty. I would RMA :(

Except the fan.

Hows everyone elses fan?
Good headset sorts these problems :)

It would be impossible for me to game without headphones cos of my 7900XTX coil whine is absolutely insane.
Even when at desktop? I'd definately have RMA'd if thats the case. I always wear headphones when gaming but if I'm just browsing or doing someother stuff that doesn't require sound then I won't put them on. Instances like that you shouldn't have to put on headphones to block out excessive fan noise or even coil whine.

Back
Top Bottom