LG 34GK950F vs Alienware AW3420DW

Associate
I agree the Alienware has such a better design and build quality imo. Also I hear the LG warranty can be an issue compared with Dell.
Having owned a dell monitor the warranty is a peace of mind, as it’s so easy and quick to get a replacement. My only concern with the Alienware was the screen compared to the LG

Associate
I've decided in my case to wait for the 38WN95C rather than buying either of these. It has everything I need:
  • thunderbolt 3 for connecting my work macbook pro, and charging it. This alone will clean up my desk considerably
  • 144hz from display port and thunderbolt, so no cable switching between work and play
  • freesync / gsync compatible
  • matte white back, which should compliment my white NZXT H1 preorder perfectly. Looks great.
  • good response times

The trade off is that it's 4" larger a "bit" more expensive, but I can live with that. I'll just play games with black bars if the extra size is too troublesome.

If there was a combination of the LG and Dell it might be a different story. I.e. the 34gn850 with Dell's build quality + design would be great. As it stands I'd just be disappointed getting either of these given I expect to have it for a long time.

Last edited:
Associate
Mmmm I hope not. It's confirmed from LG at to be 1499 euros MSRP, so I'd hope somewhere similar to that. If it is crazy expensive on launch I'll probably just wait until it comes down. New GPUs might be out by then.

Associate
I got this monitor the other day. I swapped out a Predator X35 that I was not happy with. Too much ghosting, even when scrolling forums, and FALD seems to me like "the emperors new clothes". FALD created a lot of halos, especially with subtitles and games with cursors. Not acceptable when you pay over $2000 for a monitor.

Anyway, I got the AW3420DW, and I'm happy. I calibrated it with a Spyder X Pro, and it looks really good. I use the custom color profile, and got the brightness set at 73%, contrast at 79% and RGB set at 82, 84 and 94. Of course, these numbers are worth nothing without the ICM profile. Can be found here: https://easyupload.io/0q0lxm

It has a G-sync module, otherwise it would just say "G-sync capable" in the Nvidia Control Panel.
It's also listed here, https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/
It has a VRR of 1-120.

RRhoads.... Your link to your Alienware AW3420DW settings is dead.... could you post it again? Thanks.

Associate
My old Dell 2408 broke last week and I'm looking into my options. I'm really attracted by the AW3420DW and with Topcashback, Dell discount, AMEX cashback and a 15% student discount on top, and upgrade to a 4yr warranty, I can get it for about £790. It's just a lot of money when I was originally looking at the £440 IIyama GB3466WQSU! Do you think it would be a worthy investment, or will the law of diminishing returns kick in?

Kids mainly gaming. Wife and I Photoshop and video editing.

Soldato
My old Dell 2408 broke last week and I'm looking into my options. I'm really attracted by the AW3420DW and with Topcashback, Dell discount, AMEX cashback and a 15% student discount on top, and upgrade to a 4yr warranty, I can get it for about £790. It's just a lot of money when I was originally looking at the £440 IIyama GB3466WQSU! Do you think it would be a worthy investment, or will the law of diminishing returns kick in?

Hi, I don't believe that Iiyama GB3466WQSU which you were considering should even be under consideration. It seemed a bargain for the £399 it was on for a few weeks ago but half of the people that bought it have had quite major faults, and this is only on day one. It just seems to be one to really steer away from.

Associate

I bought the AW3420DW back in December and can only say good things about it even 7 months later. It is the first time I have not used at least 2 screens and wouldn't go back. Used for work, gaming and Photoshop and is excellent.

Associate
@bobert50 the Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 is not out yet. I think you might be confusing the FLAT IPS panel version i.e. the Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1.

The CURVED VA panel version is slightly more expensive and due very soon. See my post here for details: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...va-panel-freesync-premium-pro.18888669/page-4

I wanted a curved UW screen within a £600 budget. This is what I ordered in the end, hopefully not long to wait to find out if it is a good screen for the price etc.

Soldato
@bobert50 the Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 is not out yet. I think you might be confusing the FLAT IPS panel version i.e. the Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1.

The CURVED VA panel version is slightly more expensive and due very soon. See my post here for details: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...va-panel-freesync-premium-pro.18888669/page-4

I wanted a curved UW screen within a £600 budget. This is what I ordered in the end, hopefully not long to wait to find out if it is a good screen for the price etc.

Ooops, sorry! You are indeed correct :)

Associate
I bought the AW3420DW back in December and can only say good things about it even 7 months later. It is the first time I have not used at least 2 screens and wouldn't go back. Used for work, gaming and Photoshop and is excellent.

I've just ordered the Dell for £950 with 5 year warranty. So with £100 Amex cashback, £850. I'm now drifting from the 'excited at the thought of new tech' phase, to the 'you've spent too much and the wife is going to kill you' phase...

Associate
Hi, I am interested in buying Dell AW3420DW. Can somebody tell please me how I can buy it with a student discount or any other discounts? I can only see in Dell shop price 916 pounds + VAT.

Associate
I've just ordered the Dell for £950 with 5 year warranty. So with £100 Amex cashback, £850. I'm now drifting from the 'excited at the thought of new tech' phase, to the 'you've spent too much and the wife is going to kill you' phase...

I have to say, i absolutely adored this monitor (I had it on a test basis) - I was gutted I had to give it back. I'd take Dell's warranty every day over LGs, thats for sure.

Associate
It arrived this morning! I only ordered it last night.

Kids are ecstatic. Shame I'm still waiting on a motherboard and we can't actually use it.

Associate
Hi, I am interested in buying Dell AW3420DW. Can somebody tell please me how I can buy it with a student discount or any other discounts? I can only see in Dell shop price 916 pounds + VAT.

I negotiated via live chat. I was hunting for discount codes. I wanted a 15% off on top of Dell's discounts and TCB was, at the time, offering 14%, but then it stopped. TCB/Quidco is never guaranteed, especially if you're using codes, so I just chanced it with Dell direct.

Mentioned I had a non-functioning work code for 10% and that ordering direct would mean I'd lose out on TCB/Quidco, so they'd have to lower their price more (they initially offered £1100inc vat and 5yr warranty).

I went back and we settled on £950. I was happy with this as I didn't have to run the gauntlet with cashback.

Sorry if above is against forum rules due to Dell being a competitor. Please delete if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom