LG 34wk95u 5120x2160

Associate
So I just got my 34WK95U and very disappointed. It doesn't work! Suppose to be plug and play but when you plug it in the mac display just flashes on and off. It works when PBP is set to 2/3rds but only displays 2/3rds which is no good. It would appear the new Macbook Pro 2018 doesn't support this monitor after all, at least not yet. I'm running Mojave 10.14

Think I'll be returning this tomorrow.

It does work, just not yet with Thunderbolt. Use a USB-C to Displayport cable.

Associate

Linus is usually pretty great but damn that "review" was terrible.

First 60% of the video is just rambling about resolution/HDMI/DP limitations that people can just gather themselves from reading the tech specs. Things like "Upcoming Intel Titan Ridge doesn't support iGPU" is a footnote at best and shouldn't take up space in this short video about a monitor.

Then they basically just present some color benchmark for a minute and proceed with "should you buy this"...
There's not even any closeups of the monitor itself!

How is the build quality? How does it fare for productivity? Gaming? What is your opinion after using it? This video answers nothing.

Soldato
Associate
It seems the display doesn't properly support HDCP. Or more precisely, it supports HDCP only on the HDMI port. And HDMI doesn't support the full 5K2K ultrawide resolution. So, if you want to use Netflix and stuff, you are stuck with the 16:9 4K resolution. If you want the full 5K2K resolution, you can't play any protected content. This seems like a real deal breaker to me. :(

Can someone please confirm this HDCP issue?

Associate
Anyone else starting to get burnin?
@Daniel - LG advice please? RMA?

wJNFQdV.jpg.png

EDIT: I've contacted Overclockers, they are replacing the screen. I certainly hope that it's not affecting all panels.

wJNFQdV

Last edited:
Associate
It seems the display doesn't properly support HDCP. Or more precisely, it supports HDCP only on the HDMI port. And HDMI doesn't support the full 5K2K ultrawide resolution. So, if you want to use Netflix and stuff, you are stuck with the 16:9 4K resolution. If you want the full 5K2K resolution, you can't play any protected content. This seems like a real deal breaker to me. :(

Can someone please confirm this HDCP issue?

It's in the manual, 5k2k is only through display port 1.3/1.4 or thunderbolt. Of course Nextflix can't display 5k because they don't stream in 5k, only 4k.

Associate
It's in the manual, 5k2k is only through display port 1.3/1.4 or thunderbolt. Of course Nextflix can't display 5k because they don't stream in 5k, only 4k.
I meant when you connect the monitor using DP/Thunderbolt 3 (i.e. 5K2K resolution), you won't be able to stream e.g. Netflix in 4K. That's because DP/Thunderbolt 3 on this particular display reportedly don't support HDCP.

Can anyone who already have the display confirm it?

Associate
I meant when you connect the monitor using DP/Thunderbolt 3 (i.e. 5K2K resolution), you won't be able to stream e.g. Netflix in 4K. That's because DP/Thunderbolt 3 on this particular display reportedly don't support HDCP.

Can anyone who already have the display confirm it?

I’ve now been using this monitor for a week or so and can confirm that 4K Netflix works perfectly over DisplayPort. The key thing is that you also have a suitable graphics card. I use a GTX1080. You also have to use the Netflix App or use it in EDGE.

I’m enormously impressed with this monitor so far. For me it represents a massive upgrade over what I had previously (A Dell 3007WFP-HC and a 2005WFP in portrait).

The screen dividing software that you can download from LG works very well and allows you to change things quickly on the fly. In normal use I split the screen into 3 equal sections. This is great for working on multiple documents in portrait.

Soldato
I currently have a Acer X34 and pondering about this monitor as an upgrade, I've had the X34 since day one getting an itch for a new one. Worried about dropping from 100hz to 60hz and more worried about loosing Gsync at such a high Res will be using a 2080ti but doubt this will be enough to lock out 60hz in all AAA games....
Any-one on here took the same step, I play a lot of games.

Associate
I currently have a Acer X34 and pondering about this monitor as an upgrade, I've had the X34 since day one getting an itch for a new one. Worried about dropping from 100hz to 60hz and more worried about loosing Gsync at such a high Res will be using a 2080ti but doubt this will be enough to lock out 60hz in all AAA games....
Any-one on here took the same step, I play a lot of games.

This video from Linus https://youtu.be/ehvz3iN8pp4 will probably answer your question.

To be honest even a 2080ti is going to struggle with AAA titles on this monitor. Remember it has 33% more pixels than a 4K display.
I probably only spend 5% of my time gaming and then only really play titles where frame rates don’t really matter all that much.

If you spend a lot of time gaming then I suspect you’ll be much better served by a gaming orientated monitor. It might be worth waiting for the Ultrawide Gsync HDR models that will hopefully come to market in the new year.

Back
Top Bottom